Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 545i transmission slam

My Cars
    2005 BMW 545i
    Dropped the car off this morning with BMW Dealership. Filled out a customer complaint form with details about what the car is doing, specifically:

Intermittent harsh 2-1 downshift (jolt)
    when coming to a stop with light
    brake application.
    Jolts and/or jerks felt when
    reaccelerating after coasting.
    Judder when gently accelerating
    (most noticeable at an engine
    speed below 2,000 RPM).
    UPDATE: 2-1 procedure didn't solve the problem so the mechtronics were swapped out. Does anyone know if they update the software when this is done?
    Last edited by Sirloins; 06-25-2010 at 02:35 PM.

My Cars
    2005 BMW 545i
    I picked up the car yesterday, and it is running great. No slam is present, although I feel the car isn't pulling as much through the gears but I can't confirm this yet. I was trying to scan i my receipt from the dealership but my scanner isn't working. I'll type up the work writeup for others to use.

J# 2 24BRZ1000......................................... .................................................
    Comment: Customer states the vehicle seems to lurch when you are starting off. Feels like bumped from behind.
    Also seems to happen when slowing down. (See diag sheet)

CPO Warranty
    Faulty software and mechatronic module
    Performed short test and found no related faults. Test drove and verified harsh 2-1 and 1-2 shift. Submitted TC case 32472910 and was
    instructed to perform 2-1 tip in case ISIS. Performed 2-1 tip in retrofit with ISSS and test drove after programming found downshift
    was fine but vehicle has harsh 3-4 upshift. Supplemented TC case and was instructed to replace the mechatronic. Removed trans pan and
    sealing sleeve and replaced the mechatronic with new pan and sleeve. Filled with new fluid and programmed new mechatronic. 2-1 tip in and
    mechatronic replacement was done with ISTAP 37.2.0.4 cleared faults and adaptations after repair.

PARTS......QTY....FP..NUMBER...........DESCRIPTION .........LIST..PRICE.UNIT.
    JOB # 2 1 24-33-7-571-233 RMFD MECHATRONICS WARRANTY
    JOB # 2 3 83-22-0-142-516 OIL WARRANTY

I hope this helps someone get the same service for their vehicle from the dealership. I'm bummed I didn't get the idrive update, but overall can't complain as this only cost me $50.

My Cars
    2004 BMW 545i
    Is this only covered if you are the original owner?

My Cars
    2005 BMW 545i
    Quote Originally Posted by seanintx View Post
    Is this only covered if you are the original owner?
    I am not the original owner and mine was fixed under CPO as it is transferable with the car. Out of warranty, it's up to the discretion of the dealership & BMW.

My Cars
    545i, 993, G35, 2002
    Pretty amazing that BMW cannot put in a bullet-proof tranny on a $60k+ car like the japs...I have a manual on my 545i for this particular reason.

My Cars
    2005 BMW 545i
    I now am also having this issue and the car is out of warranty with on 65,000 miles. So is there a softwrae upgrade that can take care of this issue?

My Cars
    BMW 320i
    Possibly, depending on what the programing status is currently on your car. The dealership may have to contact bmw on this issue to figure out if it's software, mechatronics unit or the transmission.

My Cars
    E36
    Quote Originally Posted by GR330ZHP View Post
    Thats what happens when you get an automatic...
    No kidding. Just out of curiosity what kind of transmission is exhibiting this problem? I've been looking at E60 wagons and the thought of having another car with a crap transmission scares me (Jetta TDI DSG double clutch with mechatronic unit - slams from 2nd to 1st).
    Last edited by Not Sure; 01-24-2011 at 05:14 PM.
    E36 M3

My Cars
    BMW 320i
    Most BMW models use ZF transmissions meaning 3,5,6,7 series models, 6HP19-6HP26. Every transmission that I have replaced has been ZF. I'm not saying it's a bad transmission, I've seen some never have any issues and go over 100k miles and I've seen some go out at 60-70k miles. Most of the ones I have replaced have been between 90-110k miles.

My Cars
    2005 545i; 1995 540
    Thundermax: Are you a BMW Mechanic? I'm not far from Shelby Twp. if so.

My Cars
    Escalade, 330xi
    Mine was doing a similar thing, but at higher speeds. You might want to check your plugs and coils. I thought mine was a tranny issue, but what I was getting was an intermittent engine misfire.

My Cars
    1999 M3
    Hey guys, I have just been through the ringer on all this with my wife's car. I am sharing my experience in the hopes that it will help someone else.

My wife's BMW 2005 BMW 530i started exhibiting driving issues after we bought it. When coming to a stop it would bump pretty hard like someone was rear-ending us. In addition, it started throwing 4F85 codes.

We took it to BMW who told us we needed to swap out the tranny with a rebuilt one. My warranty company was not down with that and they had me take it to a transmission rebuilder. I took it to Eagle Transmission on Inwood in Dallas, Texas. Doug Brice is the owner and he is one of the best. Initially he rebuilt the transmission and found out why there was such a severe bump. Apparently there is some slack in the clutches that needs to be tightened up.

Once the car was back together, they test drove it and found the 4f85 code came back. We were both scratching our heads on this one because searching the forums and internet did not give us much. So he put a call into ZF, the manufacturer of the transmission and waited. Surprisingly a tranny rebuilder from ZF called back. He told him that 4F85 is not electrical, but mechanical. The bushing for the input shaft wears out of spec and then you start getting that code. You can't buy just the bushing, you need to purchase the shaft for about $500. It is not something you can just eyeball on the bushing, you need to measure it and check it against the limits of the allowable clearance.

He ordered a new input shaft and put it in, he said it was much tighter than the old part. We have had the car back a few days and I have to say, it is great. He took out the slop in the downshift and take offs, and we have not got the code again. If anyone is having this trouble, it is with the ZF ZFLS6HP19 transmission and he can take care of you. Keep in mind, this transmission is not just in the BMW 530i, but other BMWs as well. This problem seems to be quite a money maker for BMW and ZF. The bushing appears to be under-supported and thus wears quickly causing this issue. It would be nice if they would come out with a decent fix, but apparently building a quality transmission is less important than building a money making transmission.

Again, contact Doug and he can help you out.
    His number is
    214-352-2200
    3317 Inwood Rd
    Dallas, TX 75235

My Cars
    '99 328i, 99 Bravada
    Quote Originally Posted by imaginis View Post
    I experienced a slight slam to 1st in my 04 545i, so I took it in. They upgraded the tranny software, but I have to say I'd much rather have the slam than what it does now after the software update.

When I'm in rush hour traffic, creeping along, the transmission feels like it's still winding or spinning. That's the only way I know how to explain the sound and light vibration. My MPG meter even stays pegged all the way to the right (low MPG), when I'm coasting at like 10mph-0mph. I think the tranny is trying to stay in 2nd gear longer. When it finally shifts down to first, it shifts, but then my car pounces forward. Almost like older cars when the AC compressor kicks on and off when stopped and the brake *slightly* pressed.

It really makes driving in rush hours traffic, or at slow-coast speeds unbearable. I deal with it EVERY morning and EVERY evening.

Does anyone know if there is a way to "roll back" the tranny update? I think I'd rather deal with the slam.

I posted a post on bimmerfest, with a picture of my instrument cluster. Note that in the picture, my foot is OFF of the gas pedal, and I'm coasting down to a stop. My MPG meter will climb farther and father to the right as I almost reach a stop. And then, right as I get to 5mph or slower, it will release and shift to 1st gear...causing my car to spring forward.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=231250
    I have a new to me 05 545i that is doing just this... I thought it was normal. basically it stays in second gear until the last second with MPG's pegged until I'm nearly at a stand still. Frustrating.

My Cars
    99 528i 15 Corvette Z51
    My Jag does that once in a while, when it has been in heavy traffic, another ZF victim, I had the fluid changed once with pentosin, but still doing it, mine has 103k on it. My other ZF supposedly needs a tc, but it is at 193k, what can you do about it, other than get a manual. Interesting, does this problem also exist with the ZF 5hp24? and how much was it to fix beyond the part
    Last edited by ezbmr; 05-12-2011 at 03:32 PM.
    My 528 is a German Tank..
    My 2008 Chihuahua is Blue deal with it
    Always teaching now getting paid for it.

My Cars
    118i E87 -n46-(2005)
    Guys

I have a 118i, E87, n46, 02/2005 dome 134,000km,,in Australia ,,,hell has broken loose........

1. the tranny slams in 1 and 2......its like something hit the car....its bad........

2. the dam thing leaks oil from every seal on the crap engine.......

3. the Vanos chain is loose and throwing ECCentiric fault.....

Man this is 1 series business by BMW is crap......was targeted at young executives at a much lower price entry level........but boy......the repair cost are massisve and seems even greater that the bigger machines.......

some one take this crap away from me......

NEVER AGAIN...NEVER AGAIN ...NEVER AGAIN......buying a Bimmmerrrrrrrrrrrrrr

My Cars
    2001 Z3 2.5i

Work arounds

Has anyone noticed if this can be avoided by using the sport or manual driving mode?

My Cars
    2005 545i
    Hello, I noticed from your responses to the 545i transmission slam throughout this forum. I have the same exact problem with my tranny with the 545 i just bought recently, and am very upset with its condition . I was hoping you can help me out with this problem.. Are you a technician, did I notice that correctly? And if so, can you PLEASE help me out with this situation? I need to know if you can repair it or know someone who can? Please reply back as soon as you can. Thanks !

Quote Originally Posted by bmwQ View Post
    I've performed the 'tip-in' procedure on a few cars with very good results. I would agree with the OP that this is/has been a pretty horrible experience for those customers who've had to deal with it for an extended period. Within the last few months, however, BMW has released some genuine fixes for this problem...the 'tip-in' retrofit procedure being one.
    Hello, I noticed from your responses to the 545i transmission slam throughout this forum. I have the same exact problem with my tranny with the 545 i just bought recently, and am very upset with its condition . I was hoping you can help me out with this problem.. Are you a technician, did I notice that correctly? And if so, can you PLEASE help me out with this situation? I need to know if you can repair it or know someone who can? Please reply back as soon as you can. Thanks !
    Last edited by bemveovtxa; 12-06-2011 at 04:08 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    2000 528i, MT
    Bemveovtxa, there's not much I can do other than direct you to the dealership...which for a lot of folks is a bummer. They can look your car over and find out when the vehicle software was updated last (the transmission control unit and dme in particular). There's no way to determine that without diagnostic equipment, either aftermarket or the dealer specific tools. It'll cost you anywhere from $100-$170 for a 1 hour diagnosis. For your 1 hour of diag, the tech should rack the car and look for leaks, read out the fault memory of the vehicle and check relevant SIB's. Depending on the production date of your vehicle, the software level, the fluid level and condition, there could be a few different fixes. It's very common for the transmission sealing sleeve to leak at the harness connector on the back of the transmission. In a few instances, I've seen the leak be significant enough to drop the fluid level a few quarts. This can cause some weird shifting (harsh/slipping/slamming, etc...). In the majority of those cases, the sealing sleeve was replaced, fluid level topped off and the trans shifted fine. In at least two vehicles, the fluid level was low enough, and the vehicle driven long enough with the low fluid condition, to require a new transmission... But I'm getting ahead of myself...just bring it to the dealership and have them check it out. If they recommend a software update, that's a good thing as it can significantly improve your shift characteristics, but not always. Generally that's the first step, though. Bring it in, grit your teeth and pay for an hour of diag time...
    Good luck and let us know how it works out for you and what they recommend.
    Q
    SOLD, again!! Good luck, Eric!! 6/10/2012
    "To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic."

My Cars
    2005 BMW 545i

BMW Transmition slam

I have a 2005 545i auto in the uk, the "slam" started up last month and as the inital person says was intermitant and couldnt be reproduced by doing anything in particular, now 4 weeks on the entire transmitionhas failed due to it (grinds like a B**ch). I am looking at obviously replacing damaged/faulty parts but was wondering on software updates that I need/should get done from BMW and if i can get these done obviously free as it is a original software fault!?

mike

just to add my mate is a mechanic and has his own diag comp, so has checked through the codes, reset what he could. bar driving the car in to a ditch or selling it to some poor sap is there anything i can do to prevent this from happening again?
    Last edited by mgsl31; 01-16-2012 at 10:52 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    02 M3, 00 323ci, 93 325i
    We bought a 2005 545i a week ago (Sport Pkg/Automatic with 65k miles)and so far we have had 2 instances of the transmission slam and 3 instances of the i-drive locking up. The i-drive is an easy solution with the 3 finger reboot but the tranny is starting to scare me with all that I have read here so far. Unfortunately for me this car is out of warranty and I called my local dealer before buying it to confirm that all recalls were completed. They said the records show they were. So can anyone tell me if I have any recourse with BMWNA in trying to get this issue resolved under some sort of coverage or is it something I need to either live with or pay to get fixed?
    Last edited by amar67; 02-17-2012 at 09:12 AM.

My Cars
    2004 BMW 745i sport
    Quote Originally Posted by amar67 View Post
    We bought a 2005 545i a week ago (Sport Pkg/Automatic with 65k miles)and so far we have had 2 instances of the transmission slam and 3 instances of the i-drive locking up. The i-drive is an easy solution with the 3 finger reboot but the tranny is starting to scare me with all that I have read here so far. Unfortunately for me this car is out of warranty and I called my local dealer before buying it to confirm that all recalls were completed. They said the records show they were. So can anyone tell me if I have any recourse with BMWNA in trying to get this issue resolved under some sort of coverage or is it something I need to either live with or pay to get fixed?
    You just bought a used 7 year old car, unfortunately your on your own. The ZF transmissions attached to the M54 and N62 in the E60(and E65) were problematic. The 2006 and on transmissions( w/ N52, N54 AND N62TU engines) made by ZF are generally much better, by 2008 pretty much all issues were fixed.

My Cars
    02 M3, 00 323ci, 93 325i
    Quote Originally Posted by meangreen94z View Post
    You just bought a used 7 year old car, unfortunately your on your own. The ZF transmissions attached to the M54 and N62 in the E60(and E65) were problematic. The 2006 and on transmissions( w/ N52, N54 AND N62TU engines) made by ZF are generally much better, by 2008 pretty much all issues were fixed.
    Thanks, was just hoping that with all the history behind this issue BMW would "do the right thing" and at least help with the cost. I have a call in to my local dealer for the two issues, hopefully he will be kind even though I didn't buy the car from them.

My Cars
    2005 545i Sport

Transmission Jolt

Quote Originally Posted by bmwQ View Post
    I've performed the 'tip-in' procedure on a few cars with very good results. I would agree with the OP that this is/has been a pretty horrible experience for those customers who've had to deal with it for an extended period. Within the last few months, however, BMW has released some genuine fixes for this problem...the 'tip-in' retrofit procedure being one.
    BMWQ
    I am new to BMW and bought a 2005 545i last year and I am having the same transmission problems the person you replied to on this issue in 2007. Plus I also have it sometimes when I step on it at 50 mph (to pass someone) it will shift hard and then display a transmission malfunction on the i Drive and go into a safe mode. If I pull over and turn the car off then restart it the message clears and I can drive it again. Since I am experiencing this now and this late (2012) is it something BMW NA will fix knowing that it is an issue or is it all on me? I love this car but it has been nickle and diming to death! Any help anyone can give would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks Bobby

Amar67
    Did you find out anything on your tranmission problems? I have an 2005 545i I bought last year also and I am having the same issues.

Thanks
    Bobby
    Last edited by bedwardsjr; 04-10-2012 at 10:18 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    02 M3, 00 323ci, 93 325i
    Quote Originally Posted by bedwardsjr View Post
    BMWQ
    Amar67
    Did you find out anything on your tranmission problems? I have an 2005 545i I bought last year also and I am having the same issues.
    I decided to just ride the car for a while and see what happens... so far what I found is after driving it a while, the slam went away... I think the adaptive features have a lot to do with it... also, we found the slam only occurs for us when feathering the accelerator pedal while slowing down going up hill... (we live on a hill) We also tried the "Transmission reset" I believe it's really just a reset for the adaptive accelerator pedal. We saw an immediate difference in the shifting (much smoother shifts) for a couple of days but then after driving it for a few days, it felt the same and we even go the slam back once. So for us, it seems just driving it and letting the car do it's thing is working.

My Cars
    2005 545i Sport

Transmission Jolt

Amar67
    Thanks for taking the time to get back to me. I tried the transmission reset twice already also. First time about 3 months ago and again 2 weeks ago and not much of a change if any. I'm glad yours got better, mine goes into a transmission malfunction on the IDrive screen mostly when I step on it to pass someone at around 65-70 MPH. It makes a very rough shift once the transmission catches up to the speed I am going and then I'm screwed and have to pull over and turn the car off to let everything reset before I start it up and drive again. Are you in Dallas? If so do you have a repair person you trust? If so please let me know.
    Thanks
    Bobby

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast