Thread: Minnesota window tint law question

My Cars
    97 328i

Minnesota window tint law question

We will be moving to Minneapolis next month and had a question on window tinting.
    Since it looks like we have to take a drivers test to get a MN drivers license,
    I was reading the DMV manual.
    It mentions that that the window tinting must let 50% of the light thru and have a sticker/label displaying the value.

Has anyone ever been pulled over for having a darker tint?
    Is there an exemption if you had the tinting done in anther state
    before moving there?

My Cars
    328i, M5, and a Ford
    Quote Originally Posted by 2disturbed View Post
    Has anyone ever been pulled over for having a darker tint?
    Yes

Quote Originally Posted by 2disturbed View Post
    Is there an exemption if you had the tinting done in anther state
    before moving there?
    No. If your car is licensed in MN, it needs to conform to MN laws.

Honestly, unless it's limo tint and/or you're not driving like an a-hole, you won't be bothered. If an officer doesn't like the way you're driving (anything at all...) he's now got a reason to pull you over. If he doesn't like your attitude or he's having a bad day, he might give you a ticket or he might not.

Both of my BMWs have illegal tint and honestly, I've been pulled over about 4 times in the last two years (no tickets, though ) and each time the officer has mentioned that my tint is illegal before telling me to have a nice day.

The only time I was given a ticket for illegal tint was in college (about 14 years ago ) and was driving a Mustang GT with 10% tint.

My Cars
    99 M3, 13 650 Gran Coupe
    I know MANY Audi drivers who have been pulled over and ticketed ONLY because for the tint, and some of these guys had 35%, and were not driving aggressively. Of course i know of a few running 20% who have not been cited.

Proceed with caution!

'99 Hellrot M3 vert; Eurosport twin-screw SC w/ 76mm pulley + Schrick cam (i.e., TRM Stage 2 TS), UDP's,
    oil cooler; GC coilovers; Z3 steering rack; Euro 6-spd trans; Diffsonline 3.46 LSD

My Cars
    97 328i
    Humm.. interesting.. thanks for the replies.
    Right now both of our cars are at 35%.
    Maybe i will just drive with the windows down all the time!

-Sean

My Cars
    1 dead e30 :(
    my brother has had 15% on his Suburban for 8 years and has never been pulled over. Then again, it is also a black truck, so that may help it look lighter.

You could always do what I am planning on trying, get a prescription from the eye doctor.

e28 535is (SOLD) | e30 325i (DEAD) | e34 540i (SOLD) | e82 135i (SOLD)

My Cars
    99 M3, 13 650 Gran Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by sonicpentatonic View Post
    my brother has had 15% on his Suburban for 8 years and has never been pulled over
    The law does not apply to truck's and SUV's. They can be tinted with impugnity

'99 Hellrot M3 vert; Eurosport twin-screw SC w/ 76mm pulley + Schrick cam (i.e., TRM Stage 2 TS), UDP's,
    oil cooler; GC coilovers; Z3 steering rack; Euro 6-spd trans; Diffsonline 3.46 LSD

My Cars
    328i, M5, and a Ford
    Quote Originally Posted by agu845 View Post
    Almost - I believe the rear windows can be tinted as dark as you'd like, but the front windows still follow the same laws as cars.

My Cars
    SC'd M3, M5, F430
    yep

My Cars
    1 dead e30 :(
    my understanding of the law is that it applies to all vehicles regardless of if they are a truck or a car (except the rear window of a pickup truck which can be tinted to as dark as you want), or unless the tint is OEM.

Just for reference, the window tint law in MN is law 169.71 subdivision 4

EDIT: After reading the states definition of "van", I now realize that SUVs are considered "vans" by the state of MN, and thus the tint laws on the back windows (not front driver or passenger or windshield) do not apply.

e28 535is (SOLD) | e30 325i (DEAD) | e34 540i (SOLD) | e82 135i (SOLD)

My Cars
    B5 A4
    I know MANY Audi drivers who have been pulled over and ticketed ONLY because for the tint, and some of these guys had 35%, and were not driving aggressively. Of course i know of a few running 20% who have not been cited.

Proceed with caution!
    Dammit. My Audi's 20% all around.

I used to have 20% in the back three windows and 35% in the front side windows in the M3. After being pulled over a few times for that and missing the front license plate, I decided to get the tint pulled and have 50% put on. I never got a ticket for the tint, but one deputy told me the fine is something like $150. I figured I take my chances and leave the tint on and pay for the re-tinting and the ticket, or just pay to get the windows re-tinted.

Oh, by the way, 50% is barely even noticeable.

Minnesota sucks.

My Cars
    97 BMW 328i
    if you stay in the city it seems like the cops dont care, but when you get out to the country thats when you have problems.... thats were i got my ticket for tint, the cop turned around, followed me and pulled me over just for that.... i guess thats what you get for havin a nice car out in a hick town with dumb cops