Thread: buying 318i... worth it or too good to be true?

My Cars
    '92 525iM, '04 F150 Lariat

buying 318i... worth it or too good to be true?

hey guys.
    i've been lurking around here for a few weeks trying to get all my info straight before buying my first e36 and my very first bmw.

before i get bashed for looking at a 318, i researched as much as i could, and although i like the power of the IL6 in the 325s and 328s, this fits my budget a little better, and i'd rather get a lower mileage 318 than a 325 with 120k+ miles for about the same money.

oh, and i need an auto so my wife can drive it. i figure i can always pick up a manual 528i touring wagon later for myself! (grin) and since its an auto, and i know the auto tranny only has so much life in it, i figured a lower mileage 318 is a better bet for me vs. an auto 325.

now onto the car...
    its a '94 318i sedan w/ 90k miles on it, clean title, 2nd owner (first was a relative) for $4200. he said the car was side swiped but repaired back to new condition, and the only known problems are that the front windows don't work (fuse relay or modulator issue) and an oil leak due to a possible front seal gasket leak.

all other electrical work, interior is clean, no body damage, has most service records, and the h20 pump and timing chain were serviced at 60k miles.

i know kbb isn't reliable, but the good condition price is $5300, which makes this seem like a good deal. i'm going to check it out tomorrow and also take it in for a PPI at his indipendent BMW mechanic.

finding a car, especially the right year, right model, auto, etc, is a lot of work and i'm about 80% sure i'll take it if the car is as good as advertised.

i'm pretty sure i can get the price down to 4k or even better...
    is it a good deal or is the price a little too good to be true?
    OR
    is it a fair price and I should be wary of other possible issues?

its either this or another 318i w/ 110k on the clock, in perfect condition inside n out for $5k

My Cars
    e30

My Cars
    ///M3 - TDI Sportwagen
    e36 4 door is a great car. id say go with the $4k with 90k obviously.

My Cars
    E36 M3
    sounds like a deal. but teach your wife to drive stick and forget the slushbox

My Cars
    believe me, i've tried teaching her to drive stick. i'm a patient man, but she lost patience in trying to learn b4 i did!

so at 90k miles, the common suspension bushing issues won't be a problem... right? it's with mileage, not age? or is it both?

My Cars
    2001 740il
    I dont think your find is to good to be true.I would keep looking for a 325.Im not bashing you but its just going to be hard to sell a 318 auto car.Good Luck

My Cars
    ///M3 - TDI Sportwagen
    Quote Originally Posted by blumatrix View Post
    the common suspension bushing issues won't be a problem... right? it's with mileage, not age? or is it both?
    there is no such thing as an issue with rubber bushings. when they wear and tear they need to be replaced. check the records.

My Cars
    Quote Originally Posted by zx7rhitch View Post
    I dont think your find is to good to be true.I would keep looking for a 325.Im not bashing you but its just going to be hard to sell a 318 auto car.Good Luck
    that's a good point... but will it be any easier to sell an automatic 325 down the line? in a few years, won't people be looking to buy cheaper e36 w/ plans for a swap of some sort?

My Cars
    1996 318is
    Well first of all congrats on the possible purchase of a 318. If its the model you want, don't let all these 4-banger haters change your mind. If the indy mechanic checks it out and gives it the thumbs up, it sounds like a great deal.
    "'Cause I'm a 21st century digital boy,
    I don't know how to live but I've got a lot of toys..."

For Sale--New e36 Bosch regulating O2 sensor for M44.

My Cars
    2001 325i Touring
    I dont think thats a very good deal. Oil leak due to a possible front seal oil gasket?? I got my 325i with 117k for $2000 w/o any "oil leaks"

My Cars
    yes.
    I bought my 325i with 119k miles for $5,000. You might be able to find a deal like that, I think the extra money was definitely worth the difference from a 318i

My Cars
    well, i'll see what the mechanic says tomorrow.

MeGa... you're in PA. that's one hell of a deal, but nothing even remotely close to that out in cali.

i think i saw someone else post this, but for $2k in PA, you may get a decent 325i, but in so cal, $2k gets you a salvaged 325i w/ 250k miles or a 318i w/ 190k miles in need of body and suspension work.

My Cars
    btw, what am i looking to pay for a pre-purchase inspection from an independent mechanic?

My Cars
    Fern Green 1999 M3
    I went from a 325i to a 94 318i sedan. I was sooo unenthused. I got it for $4600 w/ 76k on the clock. Keep looking... you dont want to go into a purchase that starts off with problems. W/o knowing it was a bmw... what if I walked up to you and said"hey wanna buy my car, its been side-swiped and leaks oil?" Im only saying this bc there ARE some great cars out there. Good luck!

My Cars
    2001 740il
    Quote Originally Posted by blumatrix View Post
    that's a good point... but will it be any easier to sell an automatic 325 down the line? in a few years, won't people be looking to buy cheaper e36 w/ plans for a swap of some sort?
    Its going to be harder to sell a auto period

My Cars
    98 318i, 87/93 Jeep XJ
    You don't know how bad that car was hit... keep looking. you might be better off with the other one, what year is it?
    1998 318i : RIP
    M44 Club Member #54

My Cars
    its a 94.
    i'll make sure the bumpers and doors all line up.

My Cars
    1995 325ic
    First off..nothing wrong with a 4 banger.
    I have the 318is and it is a great car. And I average between 35-40 mpg.

I do think that the car that you describe has a few deal killers in it however.

First off...The 4 bangers are great engines and could make the 80's style cars fly. They also seem to work ok with the "is" model too. (2Dr)

The "i" is a larger and "HEAVIER" body however(4Dr). Combine the loss in power from this with the auto tranny and I do not think you are going to like the performance.

Also..oil leaks are never good.
    And how do you know that you do not have two burned out motors for those front windows?
    It is a very common thing to have a motor burn out on these cars.

The 94 is a good car. In fact, it is still OBD-I. I have the 95 myself.
    The price that this person wants..especially considering the history is high though.
    I have more miles but my car was only 2,700 when I bought it. (Last April)
    Also....and this is harder to determine..but the way the miles were put on the car and how it was maintained is HUGE.
    I would rather have a BMW with 150k if it was all highway miles than a BMW with 90K if it was all stop and go city driving.
    I do not think you appreciate how long a well maintained BMW will last.
    I am thinking of 3 Bimmers at this moment that are well cared for. One is 250k....one is 320k and one is in excess of 400K. Even the 400K is still going strong.
    My own was bought at 170K last April and I already have 205k on it.
    From the way it runs, I have no reason to believe that it will not also make it to 400k one day.

There is something that you are going to have to come to grips with though..
    If you are a fairly decent shadetree mechanic....and like working on cars..then this 94 can be a lot of fun. If you are not..then you are going to spend a fortune on car maint and repairs.

You WILL be doing all kinds of work to keep that car running smooth.
    You mentioned one leak. I just replaced the oil filter housing gasket and O-Ring this weekend. The waterpump was recently replaced. I had to take out and clean the ICV valve. The gasket to the fuel tank needed to be replaced.
    I also have a window motor out and needs to be replaced.
    You will eventually have to replace the suspension.
    You will have a fun day digging under the hood to find the cabin filter and replacing that.
    The radiators go out about every 150K.
    And I can go on and on...all in addition to oil, tranny fluid, rear end fluid...thermostats, fuel filters...etc...
    Now do not get me wrong..These are solid cars..and I think that BMW did a better job than most when it comes to ease of repairs.
    But there is a constant upkeep that must be maintained.

If you can not get this guy down to 3,500, then I would look around.
    Also...know what it means to own an older Bimmer..
    More fun..but more care required.

My Cars
    93 325is, 02 TTQR
    I agree with the other posters. Continue your search. That is too much to pay for a car with problems, especially with the lower miles. Don't be afraid to go for a slightly higher mile car. Mine had 120K on the clock when I bought it, but dealer records since new, and only minor mechanical issues I was able to address myself.

My Cars
    1993 BMW 325is
    Agreed. I bought mine with 119K and other than 3 sets of rear tires and now a majour fule pump/relay wiring problem it's all good. GET A STICK CAR FOOL.
    1993 325is
    too much to list, not enough to matter......

My Cars
    man, i'm really torn on this one. i'll just have to see it and then make my decision. i guess it's still worthwhile to get the pre-purchase inspection, right?

i'm used to having the top models w/ my previous cars... f150 5.4L lariat, toy matrix xrs 6-spd, '88 toy mr2 s/c... so i'm a little hesitant w/ going w/ the 4 banger vs the IL6.

but i need to get a car that is fuel efficient, reliable, yet fun to drive. i'm a decent DIY guy and have done some suspension, engine, mechanical and electrical work on previous cars... so crawling up under the car to replace a seal or o-ring is not a problem.

and i told myself that i would be patient w/ the first e36 purchase, knowing what i've learned from the forum so far in regards to maintenance and common problems. actually, i just came across the e34 threads last week and have even considered getting a moderately aged 528i or 530i touring wagon. those are just beautiful!

i saw a 325i sedan/auto w/ 133k that had a few electrical probs and a cruddy under carriage that i passed on at $5k last week. i guess i'll take this 318i for a spin tomorrow and see how it compares to the 325i. if there's a chance i can get the guy to go to $3500 or lower, i may become an official e36 owner sooner than anticipated!

My Cars
    M3, 328i, 951
    Quote Originally Posted by Bimmer323is View Post
    e36 4 door is a great car. id say go with the $4k with 90k obviously.
    +1 that is the best decision...
    FS: 95 M3 HFM used, stock air-box, stock chip, factory head-unit, factory 6 disc changer and other misc parts. PM for more info!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by 318Mpower View Post
    Thanks "DJ Genius" , not everyone is a hater. I might actually do a jdm b16 swap(keep laughing when I'm putting down more HP/TQ than you) with triple ESC( electric supercharger newbs) megasqurit independent fuel management, GReddy boost controller and BOV. This setup is good for atleast 300WHP. My friends civic had the same setup.