Thread: Where's the oil drain plug?

My Cars
    2001 330ci

Where's the oil drain plug?

For 2001 330Ci. I tried to change the engine oil on my car but I couldn't find the oil drain plug . It's a good I thing I tried to find the oil drain plug before I started. Where is it? The whole front undercarriage was covered. The biggest portion of the cover was steel but in the middle there's a small plastic cover, is it above that plastic cover? Changing oil shouldn't be that difficult right? Thanks guys.

My Cars
    2005 325Xi
    Yes. Open that little cover and there is the drain plug. Maybe you should get someone else to do it for you??

My Cars
    Z3, 323i
    Quote Originally Posted by easport View Post
    For 2001 330Ci. I tried to change the engine oil on my car but I couldn't find the oil drain plug . It's a good I thing I tried to find the oil drain plug before I started. Where is it? The whole front undercarriage was covered. The biggest portion of the cover was steel but in the middle there's a small plastic cover, is it above that plastic cover? Changing oil shouldn't be that difficult right? Thanks guys.
    Well, its easy, but it requires a few different techniques than your used to if this is your first BMW. I'm not familar with the 330i set up, but it should be similar to my 323i. Oil plug should be aft of the plastic shielding. MAKE SURE ITS THE OIL PLUG AND NOT THE TRANS FLUID PLUG. That would not be a fun mistake. Otherwise, the oil plug is under the plastic shielding. Should take a 17mm wrench.

OK. Assuming you have the correct oil change kit (filter, O rings and copper oil plug washer) you should open your filler cap located on top of one of the valve covers, remove your drain plug and drain your oil. Easier to do with an engine that was warmed up. Wipe the plug hole and replace your plug and filler cap. Now, with your special oil filter wrench remove your oil filter housing. Then with an inverted baggie (your filter will be on top of your engine and placed upside down), pull out your filter and filter holder invert the bag to catch leaking oil. Remove the paper filter. Wipe down the holder. Replace your O rings on the stem and housing. My 323i takes two and my Z3 takes three...so it depends on the model and how many came with the kit. Pop on the new filter and insert the housing and tighten. SNUG, not tight! Also, DO NOT tighten your oil drain plug too tight. Snug, that's it. Overtightening your plug can strip the aluminum threads...not fun. Requires replacing the pan.

Highly recommend you purchase a Bentley (sp) step by step book. Great for trouble shooting all kinds of things.

Good luck. Have fun. OH...might want to invest in a computer oil change reset gizmo. Easy to do and will pay for itself first time by not having a dealer do it.

IMPORTANT! The new BMWs require SPECIAL OIL. Essential that you use the correct type!! I use Mobile 1 fully synthetic 15w-50, which is comparable the special BMW oil they'll sell you at the dealer. Recommend you triple check what yours should be.
    Last edited by drainplug; 12-04-2006 at 06:45 PM. Reason: adding info
    "Racing is life. Anything that happens before or after is just...waiting."

My Cars
    2014 m235i 1989 325i
    OH...might want to invest in a computer oil change reset gizmo. Easy to do and will pay for itself first time by not having a dealer do it.
    OR

I copied this from a forum somewhere:
    "You only need to hold the left odometer reset button while turning the key to position 1 (Accessory). Keep holding the button for 5 or so seconds until any of the following shows in the display: OIL SERVICE or INSPECTION with RESET or RE. Release the button and press it again for another 5 or so seconds until RESET or RE flash. While the display flashes, press the button one more time briefly. If done correctly, END SIA should show up for a few seconds. All done."

Edit: I guess I can now give my330i.com credit for the above info thanks to Smilez
    Last edited by Spitfire; 12-04-2006 at 11:09 PM.

My Cars
    e46/325i e36/325i
    RIP homie TehPandaShow: Loiue