Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread: I Need help with my custom setup

My Cars
    97' M3

I Need help with my custom setup

Ok, planning to do a setup, and so far what I have in mind is a JL setup. Looking for clarity and enough bass to sound good but not to blow my ears. So far, I've decided to get 2 12w6's. Do you think that's more than enough? Now, I'm not sure what kind of amp to get, like how many watts, etc. Let me know any suggestions on replacement of the stock speakers, tweeters.

Also, how do you guys feel about purchasing new products on eBay? Sound like a good idea?

My Cars
    Wuper Tuper Fuper
    mmm...do a search....mucho discussion on this aspect already

hmm after going through many many systems i've become a fan of a high end amplifier driving a high end subwoofer, and another high end amp on the mids and highs... i've been doing systems for about 6 yrs now and it's one of the cleaner designs i think. if you wanna chat more about this just reply back to the post.

My Cars
    1999 M3 coupe, 2004 M3 convertible
    I just put in a single 12w0 in my trunk this weekend. Its in a sealed box and is powered by a 125w Precision Power amp. Even with the single sub I have to turn the gain on the amp down to balance it with the rest of the speakers. Otherwise all I hear is bass.

I have a friend with 2 12" subs in his 5 series, and I think thats overkill for everyday listening. Even he has the gain on his amp turned ALL THE WAY down just cause its too much bass.

Anyway, just my 2 cents. good luck

99 M3
    coupe: Titanium Silver, Dove Gray interior. 5-speed manual
    04 M3 cabrio: Titanium Silver, Medium Gray interior. 6-speed manual

i'm w/ ya... it was fun when i was a kid (2 yrs ago hahah) to have 2 12's but in about 3 months when everything in your car has rattled loose and you're always asking ppl to repeat stuff you'll realize that a full sound is better than tons of bass. Rockford makes 8/10" bass tubes that are surprisingly good. They come powered and unpowered but the unpowered is way way cheaper. Look into them for a small clean system.

My Cars
    97' M3
    Yay! people replied. But yea, I just visited a friend over the weekend with some MTX subs, from what I remember I think they were 10", didn't ask. It was pretty horrible to my ears cuz all it was, was bass. I'm lookin more for clarity but I also want the bump so u knoe it doesn't sound all weak with the hi's or whatever. just real clear and decent amount of bass. I don't knoe sh*t about audio systems, so how bout u guys give me a setup...hehe. Speakers, Subs, Amps.

upgrade the mids try to get coax's... better amp helps those also... 1 good 10 should be plenty but it depends on the car type too

My Cars
    stuff
    what type of car is it? brand and model #...
    Kevin

My Cars
    1998 4Runner
    Yeah....we need that info Kevin asked for....

I sound like a repeater but if you have a 3 series GET THE STEALTHBOX...it's about as tried and true as you get....and the only way you can F it up is by not using enough power....you won't be dissapointed...

-Nathaniel
    1995 M3 - Gone
    2007 335i Sport - Euro Delivery - Gone
    2009 335i Sport - Gone
    1995 M3 - Gone
    1998 4Runner - Current

My Cars
    stuff
    amen

Is JL the brand of choice on the west coast?

My Cars
    1998 4Runner
    Not neccesarily (sp?) they are just one of the companies in Car Audio that has their $#!+ together. They are interested in innovating and not following the leader....one of the only true professional companies in car audio making money....

They put out an -excellent- product consistently and don't rely on marketing hype exclusively to sell their product....they know how to do business...

-Nathaniel
    1995 M3 - Gone
    2009 335i Sport - Gone
    1995 M3 - Gone
    1998 4Runner - Current

My Cars
    BMW 323i 2000
    I just got two 8IB4's wit a kenwood 450 watt amp in a custom setup. I would take the stealthboxes if i were you. I was very satisfied. Good clean bass. The sound is beautiful. Thats just my thought. Good luck.

My Cars
    '88 M3, '95 M3, '01 X5 3.0i
    hey....this is justin...i went through the same dilemma of wanting a pure SQ setup with necessary bass when needed. if you have time, swing by and take an audition of my setup.

my only suggestion would be a single JL 12W7 or the IDMAX
    88 ///M3
    95 ///M3
    01 X5 3.0i

My Cars
    everything
    Originally posted by BiMaW
    hey....this is justin...i went through the same dilemma of wanting a pure SQ setup with necessary bass when needed. if you have time, swing by and take an audition of my setup.

my only suggestion would be a single JL 12W7 or the IDMAX
    W7!!! The next thing I'm gonna buy...when I get more money
    1992 BMW 318i 154k miles
    Short Shift Kit, 17" BBS, painted brake caliper
    1992 BMW 325i 89k miles...smoked out corner lights

My Cars
    95 M3 /02 KTM 400exc

How much money do you have.

I agree with Nathaniel and Kevin pretty much on everything. But the main question is how much money do you have to spend and what components do you have already.

I am putting a system together right now and let me tell you it has added up to a pretty big. Here is a breakdown of my system. It is geared towards extreme audiophile listening and not for hip hop blow your head off bass. Plus complete stealth mode so people dont know you have a stereo.

Front Speakers: Dynaudio System 340
    7" Driver to be mounted in bottom of doors
    3" Mid mounted in kick pannel
    1" Mid mounted in kick pannel
    Price: $~650 used on Ebay

Rear Speakers: a/d/s/ Powerplate 300i
    Price: Had them from old system, might not use if I like it without rear fill.

Sub: JL Audio Stealthbox
    Price: Havent bought hopefully $350 shipped.

AMPS: JL Audio

Front Speakers (2) JL Audio 300/2
    Price - $300 each (you could get away with only one however)

Sub amp: JL Audio 500/1
    Price: $345 used Ebay

Head Unit: Alpine CDA-7894
    Price: $290 (new Ebay)

Mp3 CD Changer- Alpine CHA S634
    Price: $232 (new ebay)

RAAMat60 - 187 sqft of sound deadening material
    Price $270

Wiring: Probably phoenix gold
    Price: Not sure but probably $150

Custom installation:
    Door pannels, kick pannels etc. Probably $500-900 depending on how much work I do myself.

GRAND TOTAL:

$3700 BUCKS!!!!

So start with how much money you want to spend and then do your shopping.

My Cars
    1998 4Runner
    PDX:

Just a note....I would shy away from Phoenix Gold wiring....I am from the car audio school of the early 90's and I loved what PG put out...don't use any RCA's with metal ends they are prone to add noise!

I have Lightning Audio RCA's with a plastic end and they work wonderfully.....I would look into either Lightning Audio or Monster Audio for cabling.....especilly the XLN Micro (very easy to run) or if you can afford it the XLN Pro's...although you have to be very careful in the handling of those...but they are one of the quitest cables ever tested....

-Nathaniel
    1995 M3 - Gone
    2009 335i Sport - Gone
    1995 M3 - Gone
    1998 4Runner - Current

My Cars
    '02 Subie WRX Wagon
    Originally posted by mlrtime99
    i'm w/ ya... it was fun when i was a kid (2 yrs ago hahah) to have 2 12's but in about 3 months when everything in your car has rattled loose and you're always asking ppl to repeat stuff you'll realize that a full sound is better than tons of bass.
    i totally agree...I'm not "that old," 26 to be exact. I loved my boomin' system..had every "bass" cd you could've imagined. I think my finished result was in my '87 Mercury Sable: 2-15" Kicker Freeairs behind the rear seat, run by my HiFonics Zeus 300Wx2(?), 2-6.5" Kicker comps in the rear deck w/ 2 horn tweets. Fronts had two horns on the dash and 6.5" Kicker 2-ways in the door. This was back in '93-'94. I can not imagine haveing that sytem right now. I have a professional job and can't be thumpin' into work every morning(the TriFlo exhaust is enough!). But anyway, I fianlly settled down a bit..I changed my headunit to a BMW Business CD adn changed out all my speakers. Well the door speakers have are still sitting in my room. I HAD a 12" Infinity Kappa Perfect pushed by a 150Wx2(bridged mono) Infinity Kappa amp(great amps, don't know why they stopped making car amps). This was a bit much for me but it sounded nice. I then bought a set of 2-way 6x9 speakers w/ adaptors for the rear shelf to replace the 4" 2-way Blaupunkts(which are for sale) I had there. Let me tell you the sound in my car was turned around 100%; it's much fuller and richer sounding. I took out the 12" sub and I'd have to admit that the audible bass is exactly the same as with the 12" sub. The only thing I'm missing is the rattling of my trunk(not really "missed") and my "massaging" seats ;-) I was thinking of selling my sub and amp combo but it's such a nice set together that I'll probably have a custom box built to port out the ski pass(cause the 6x9's are running free-air and I dont' want to use them as passive radiators; that would be bad). But as of right now I'm enjoying the better handeling of my car now that the 100lb sub box and amp are outta my trunk!

Good luck. sorry so long.
    .....you say "sandwich."
    Anson HAD a '97 M3/4a Cosmos/black w/ some good stuffs......He also HAD a '04 Pontiac GTO (Goat) Quicksilver/black w/ Lingenfelter CAI....Now he has a '02 Subie WRX wagon....stuffs on the way

My Cars
    stuff
    the original zeus was 300x2 or 900x1 and a few generations later it became 300x2 or 1200x1...then they went to genX and it became trash...an aside, the blue amps on sounddomain called 'usacoustics' have the same designer and are basically the same amps as the old hifonics amps....those amps are a steal for the asking price..definitely not the usual junk u get for the price of admission....
    Kevin

My Cars
    97' M3
    Whoa So many replies. Sorry guys it took me so long, I didn't think anyone was replying. Hah! Well Ok right now I'm driving a 97' M3 but most likely It's gonna be in a 95' M3. Haven't got it yet but just getting everything ready for it. We gonna be workin off completely stock setup, so I haven't been doing any window shopping lately but I think I gotta go around and here some subs and speakers. The one thing I'm totally clueless and confused on is what kind of amp and how many do I actually need?