Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: what kind of coolant do we need?

My Cars
    1996 328is

what kind of coolant do we need?

I lost a ton of antifreeze when I did my thermostat, what kind of coolant do we need, any specific BMW type or anything? Is it ok to add a different brand into my bmw than what is already in there(of what's left in there, I don't know what kind is in their, it's blue.) I was just going to get the 50/50 pre mix, how much antifreeze does it require? Thanks a lot 93 325i

My Cars
    96' 328i
    I put 50/50 Prestone in.
    Doesn't matter what kind you put in there I think. But don't quote me on that.

My Cars
    94 325i, 98 ranger stepside, 91 vxr650
    no matter what anyone tells you, you do NOT need to use BMW-authentic... you can if you want but it's no big deal...

name-brand 50/50 premix is fine... or even non-mixed so you mix yourself with distilled water....

My Cars
    1996 328is, 2004 Audi AllRoad 4.2

My Cars
    Quote Originally Posted by choffa View Post
    are you kidding?

that Mr M guy is an idiot... he hasn't a clue...

the big reason for using the BMW type is that it is phosphate free... so is pretty much any of the name brand 50/50 mixes...

do some searching and research

Q. Does PrestoneŽ Antifreeze/Coolant contain phosphates?
    A. Some European automobile manufacturers request that a phosphate-free antifreeze be used in their vehicles. This issue is related to the extremely high mineral content of the water in Europe. If you were to mix an antifreeze that contained phosphates with the type of water they have in Europe, it may produce deposits that can settle in the cooling system and promote corrosion. However, in North America we do not have this type of water problem. Typical North American coolants have contained phosphates (which is part of the corrosion inhibitor package) for many years. Therefore, the question of phosphates is a non-issue here in North America. PrestoneŽ Antifreeze/Coolant is completely safe for use in both foreign and domestic vehicles. For those consumers who would feel more comfortable using a phosphate-free antifreeze, our PrestoneŽ Extended Life 5/150 Antifreeze/Coolant is phosphate, silicate, and borate free. This coolant uses a special chemistry and technology that extends the life of the corrosion inhibitor package so that it lasts for five years or 150,000 miles (whichever comes first), and is safe for all cars and light trucks (old or new). PrestoneŽ Extended Life 5/150 Antifreeze/Coolant has been approved by General Motors under their DEX-COOLŽ specifications and is compatible with other DEX-COOLŽ approved coolants.

(from prestone's site)

My Cars
    1994 325is --> S50
    FWIW: From Pelican Parts website, and 101 Projects:

I'm sure one question you're about to ask is "what type of coolant should I use?" BMW has issued a 1991 technical bulletin, 17 01 88(1743), which details problems with what is known as silicate gel precipitation in engines. This is the 'green goo' (yes, it actually says that in the BMW Tech bulletin - gotta love those German translators) that results as a consequence of an antifreeze over-concentration in the coolant, combined with hard water, and the phospates commonly used in many antifreezes. BMW factory antifreeze has been formulated to prevent this problem of silicate drop-out without any coolant performance loss. This antifreeze contains no nitrites and no phosphates. The part number for a one gallon container is 88-88-6-900-316, and it costs about $13.00 per gallon. Although I am always eager to find alternatives to BMW factory products, I would stick with the factory coolant for now.

Link to source: http://www.pelicanparts.com/bmw/tech...lant-Flush.htm
    --Will

TMS Stage 3 - S50 ZF Tranny UUC Stage 2 Clutch Kit RE SSK Stromung Exhaust
    H&R/Bilstein Sport
    H&R Swaybars Mason Strutbars Fr/Rr Subrame Reinforcements

My Cars
    Quote Originally Posted by bmw4wmb View Post
    FWIW: From Pelican Parts website, and 101 Projects:

I'm sure one question you're about to ask is "what type of coolant should I use?" BMW has issued a 1991 technical bulletin, 17 01 88(1743), which details problems with what is known as silicate gel precipitation in engines. This is the 'green goo' (yes, it actually says that in the BMW Tech bulletin - gotta love those German translators) that results as a consequence of an antifreeze over-concentration in the coolant, combined with hard water, and the phospates commonly used in many antifreezes. BMW factory antifreeze has been formulated to prevent this problem of silicate drop-out without any coolant performance loss. This antifreeze contains no nitrites and no phosphates. The part number for a one gallon container is 88-88-6-900-316, and it costs about $13.00 per gallon. Although I am always eager to find alternatives to BMW factory products, I would stick with the factory coolant for now.

Link to source: http://www.pelicanparts.com/bmw/tech...lant-Flush.htm
    1991... 15 years ago... enough time to start and stop the e36, start and stop the e46 and now start the e90's... technology has changed...

and it proves my point.. the fact is that it is looking for a non-phosphate type of coolant... and non-"hard water" (which is why we use distilled water)... and which is why many third party (such as prestone) makers of coolant show you it's useable....

also keep in mind the TSB is originally in german and translated to english... which is stated in prestone's info... that the water in europe is different than north america...

again, walk into walmart, buy some regular namebrand 50/50... you're FINE

My Cars
    1992 325i - 5 Speed Swap
    I'll never put Prestone in my car. BMW coolant, distilled water and RedLine Water Wetter.

My Cars
    1998 328is
    it's costs around 13.00 for a gal. which makes 2 gallons of mixed 50/50. Why not spend the extra couple of bucks and get the manufacturer recommended anti-freeze? The last thing you should be cheap with is your cooling system. PLus blue anti-freeze is just cooler than green and definately cooler than pink.

My Cars
    Quote Originally Posted by Pink Floyd View Post
    I'll never put Prestone in my car. BMW coolant, distilled water and RedLine Water Wetter.

any good reason?

My Cars
    Quote Originally Posted by bmtroubleu98 View Post
    it's costs around 13.00 for a gal. which makes 2 gallons of mixed 50/50. Why not spend the extra couple of bucks and get the manufacturer recommended anti-freeze? The last thing you should be cheap with is your cooling system.
    a gallon of it is about $20/gal at any of our sponsors, most likely a bit more at a dealership... prestone is $8 or less at walmart while i'm already there for other stuff so no special trip during their business hours or waiting for a shipment..

using prestone 50/50 and distilled water is NOT being cheap with your cooling system... it's just using an alternative source.. that works just as good, and costs less... if i do 50 things to the car and save $10 each time and lose zero performance or quality, then i just saved $500... that's a lot of dough by being smart and not by being "omg the book saaaaaaaaaays............."

My Cars
    91 318is S52 Swap, 99 M3
    Valvoline Zerex should be the same as OEM BMW coolant. As far as I know Valvoline makes it for BMW and other european car makers. Do a google search on Zerex.

My Cars
    1994 325is --> S50
    Quote Originally Posted by luckytopher View Post
    1991... 15 years ago... enough time to start and stop the e36, start and stop the e46 and now start the e90's... technology has changed...
    Did you even look at the link? He's changing the coolant on an e36....

I wasn't trying to spark your Pro-Prestone Rally. I was just trying to give the OP some more background info to help him answer his question.
    --Will

TMS Stage 3 - S50 ZF Tranny UUC Stage 2 Clutch Kit RE SSK Stromung Exhaust
    H&R/Bilstein Sport
    H&R Swaybars Mason Strutbars Fr/Rr Subrame Reinforcements

My Cars
    1998 328is
    If you want to use something else, use something else. If you ever check out zionsville's aluminum radiator's lifetime guarantee, it's only valid if you use BMW coolant...why do you suspect they have that implication? I mean they're offering an aftermarket product with a lifetime warranty...why wouldn't it be valid with an aftermarket coolant?

My Cars
    Quote Originally Posted by bmw4wmb View Post
    Did you even look at the link? He's changing the coolant on an e36....

I wasn't trying to spark your Pro-Prestone Rally. I was just trying to give the OP some more background info to help him answer his question.
    yes i did... the fact is that the TSB came out before the e36 came out... and that things ahve changed.. i use prestone as an example, but the others are the same... the background info you gave him is old and outdated... that's like telling someone thta to make bread first they build a fire, etc... when really the technology has changed and you can instead turn on the oven and do it the same, easier, for less...

My Cars
    If you want to use something else, use something else. If you ever check out zionsville's aluminum radiator's lifetime guarantee, it's only valid if you use BMW coolant...why do you suspect they have that implication? I mean they're offering an aftermarket product with a lifetime warranty...why wouldn't it be valid with an aftermarket coolant?
    so the zionsville aluminum radiator comes with a lifetime supply of free bmw coolant?

My Cars
    1998 328is
    no, the warranty is only valid if you USE BMW coolant.

My Cars
    92' BMW 318i
    Maybe cooperation with BMW?

I prefer using BMW coolant on my baby. Even if you change coolant once a year, how much more expensive is it to get the best for you car?
    BY the way i LOVE how that BMW coolant looks. And the smell of it is phenomenal. I would hit it if it was drinkable!

My Cars
    1992 325i - 5 Speed Swap
    Quote Originally Posted by luckytopher View Post
    any good reason?
    Because it makes me happy and bothers you

My Cars
    no, the warranty is only valid if you USE BMW coolant.

that's why i asked.. that's a blatant disregard to the magnusson moss act...

"Tie-In Sales" Provisions

Generally, tie-in sales provisions are not allowed. Such a provision would require a purchaser of the warranted product to buy an item or service from a particular company to use with the warranted product in order to be eligible to receive a remedy under the warranty. The following are examples of prohibited tie-in sales provisions.

In order to keep your new Plenum Brand Vacuum Cleaner warranty in effect, you must use genuine Plenum Brand Filter Bags. Failure to have scheduled maintenance performed, at your expense, by the Great American Maintenance Company, Inc., voids this warranty.

While you cannot use a tie-in sales provision, your warranty need not cover use of replacement parts, repairs, or maintenance that is inappropriate for your product. The following is an example of a permissible provision that excludes coverage of such things.

While necessary maintenance or repairs on your AudioMundo Stereo System can be performed by any company, we recommend that you use only authorized AudioMundo dealers. Improper or incorrectly performed maintenance or repair voids this warranty.

Although tie-in sales provisions generally are not allowed, you can include such a provision in your warranty if you can demonstrate to the satisfaction of the FTC that your product will not work properly without a specified item or service. If you believe that this is the case, you should contact the warranty staff of the FTC's Bureau of Consumer Protection for information on how to apply for a waiver of the tie-in sales prohibition.

My Cars
    1998 328is
    maybe this section...

"Although tie-in sales provisions generally are not allowed, you can include such a provision in your warranty if you can demonstrate to the satisfaction of the FTC that your product will not work properly without a specified item or service. "

...has already been performed by zionsville, which is an even better statement for BMW coolant.

My Cars
    i'd like to see, then, their demonstration to the FTC that the product will not work properly with any other coolant

because they can't do such a thing since the product will run just fine with other types... the bmw one is not the ONLY one that will make it work properly

My Cars
    1998 328is
    Apparently it can't function without BMW coolant or else they couldn't include that clause in their warranty.

My Cars
    Apparently it can't function without BMW coolant or else they couldn't include that clause in their warranty.
    because no one has ever mislead anyone before?

the unit will function on coolant other than BMW brand coolant... guaranteed...

My Cars
    1998 328is
    Here is the actual warranty claim...maybe a little different since it was off the top of my head when i quoted it...

"Lifetime Warranty!
    Zionsville Autosport guarantees our radiators for life to the original purchaser. Purchaser must provide proof of BMW coolant use at first installation and once every two years thereafter."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast