Thread: How do you romove fog lights on e39?

My Cars
    528i

How do you romove fog lights on e39?

i drive a 2000 528i and i was wondering how to remove the fog light. thanks in advance!
    My girl is Hotter then my Ride

My Cars
    98 528iA SP

My Cars
    Acura TSX Sport Touring
    that's a great writeup, thanks.
    2001 E38 740i M Sport Steptronic/Anthracite/OEM M-Pars SOLD
    1999 E39 528iT Sport/Titanium Metallic/Tint/OEM M-Pars/AEs/M Grilles SOLD

My Cars
    98 528iA SP
    Quote Originally Posted by islandbeef
    that's a great writeup, thanks.
    no probelm

zazen is offline на порядок выше
    My Cars
    '10 wrx
    what about the 2003 530 ? i heard that you need to remove the bumper?

My Cars
    15 650ix GC & 14 X5 50i
    If you have an owners manual...there should be instructions on how to change the fog lights.

Turn to the (alphabetical) index in the back of the manual...and look up BULB replacement...that will give you the page that the section on LAMPS AND BULBS is located...and that's where you'll find the instructions on how to remove the fog lamps.

Good luck...(the owners manual is full of useful information)

BTW, if you don't have an owners manual...you can download one from www.e38.org/e39 ...look at the bottom of the left column. If your model year is NOT listed...download the one that is closest to your model year. There isn't that much difference between the model years that you can't extrapolate.
    Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

2015 650ix GC (Moonstone/Cohiba Brown) <<~>> 2014 X5 50i (Space Gray/Mocha)

My Cars
    2000 528i (01/2000 mfg. date)
    Quote Originally Posted by zazen View Post
    Like Qsilver7 said, you can circumvent any heresay or conjecture by going straight to the source: the owner's manual. The information presented here is in it. If you don't have one, you can download one at www.e38.org/e39/. Scroll down to the extreme bottom of the page to the section titled Owner's Manuals and download the owner's manual for a 2003 e39 5-Series. Since the manual is a PDF, you can search for text with great ease and much faster than in a printed manual. What follows is the pertinent information from the manual; if you download the 2003 5-Series manual, this is from page 155:

I considered myself mechanically challenged when I first took out my fog lights, and in fact it was one of the first DIY repairs ever on my car. Sure it's intimidating at first, but it's so easy that really all you need is the owner's manual. The DIY for a 1996-2000 bumper to which joyfret linked are applicable, because the only difference in the 2001+ bumper is the shape of the lights; the plastic trim piece still comes out the same way, the fog light still has two screws and a nub, and it sill swings out the same way. Just get to it, it's a lot easier than you think.

My Cars
    None
    so apparently my dad had replaced one of the fog lights when he was driving my car (bad choice by me!) but anyways the front driver side fog is "loose". anyone else having this issue? i can basically push it in an inch or two/it doesn't stay in place

any suggestions before i go and re-install it?

i noticed it because i was looking at my car and i saw a small gap between the grill and the light, maybe a half inch
    Last edited by sirsameernoff; 07-02-2009 at 02:51 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    2003 530iA
    Quote Originally Posted by zazen View Post
    Only if you have the M bumper, you might need to remove it.
    If not the posted link is very similar to the 2001+ models.

Quote Originally Posted by sirsameernoff View Post
    so apparently my dad had replaced one of the fog lights when he was driving my car (bad choice by me!) but anyways the front driver side fog is "loose". anyone else having this issue? i can basically push it in an inch or two/it doesn't stay in place

i noticed it because i was looking at my car and i saw a small gap between the grill and the light, maybe a half inch
    He made a mistake when he installed them. Re-check and reposition. Very easy. 5-10 min max.
    Last edited by Doru; 07-02-2009 at 03:55 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    Looking for a DIY? Parts? Check this out, it might be your ticket

Stable: e92is, e53 N62, e46M54B25, Tribby & e39 M54B30 R.I.P.

My Cars
    '03 M-Sport 540iA
    Everyone has already posted excellent info so all I have to add is that it's a piece of cake...the plastic expansion clips/pins are the toughest part IMO but once you've wiggled those suckers free, it's smooth sailing.

'00 540iA Sport w/235k+ Original TCG's, Vanos and transmission.​*Trans failure at 244k+...FS Now

My Cars
    None
    Quote Originally Posted by Doru View Post
    Only if you have the M bumper, you might need to remove it.
    If not the posted link is very similar to the 2001+ models.

He made a mistake when he installed them. Re-check and reposition. Very easy. 5-10 min max.
    you're right, it is very simple to get in there. the problem i found was that....there are only 2 screws to hold in the fog, and they are on the same side! now, because of this i am still seeing a "wobble" on the light...

in place

it can move???

who messed up where?

My Cars
    2003 530iA
    you're right, it is very simple to get in there. the problem i found was that....there are only 2 screws to hold in the fog, and they are on the same side! now, because of this i am still seeing a "wobble" on the light...

in place

it can move???

who messed up where?
    On the right side, the light itself should wedge behind some sort of a lip.
    On the left you have the 2 screws as you mentioned. If you don't wedge the light behind that lip, it will move/wiggle and you will have the gap.
    Looking for a DIY? Parts? Check this out, it might be your ticket

Stable: e92is, e53 N62, e46M54B25, Tribby & e39 M54B30 R.I.P.

My Cars
    None
    Quote Originally Posted by Doru View Post
    On the right side, the light itself should wedge behind some sort of a lip.
    On the left you have the 2 screws as you mentioned. If you don't wedge the light behind that lip, it will move/wiggle and you will have the gap.
    i didnt find anything...pic?

My Cars
    '95 6spd 540
    hey good timing on this thread haha, i have the facelift fogs, like in the picture 2 posts above mine (round fog lenses)... anyway i just bought http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320567388328&viewitem= &sspagename=STRK%3AMEWNX%3AIT

these, and i kindof just assumed there would be some instructions with them, guess not. anybody know where i can find some? i mean, i just need to know which wires go where. thanks to anyone who can help
    - Hans - Mauritiusblau Metallic - Ultimate Klasse - Progress Thread: LINK

My Cars
    98 540iA (Prd 11/97)
    This is the only HID fog light retrofit I have in the DIY section. It might help, but it is on a pre-facelift E39. Wiring may differ from the facelift version.

HID Fog Lamps for the 1996-2000 BMW E39 5-Series (Excluding M5)

My Cars
    '98 540i/6, '00 Miata

For pre-facelift fogs, the tabs that you run the screws through to mount the fog lights in the bumper cover break very easily, particularly the top tab. They may be broken on yours. I recommend removing the top screw first and reinstalling the bottom screw first because the top tab is weaker than the bottom tab.
    Oxford Green 1998 540i/6
    BMWCCA No. 425591

My Cars
    Black 2000 BMW 528i

Amazing Write Up!

Quote Originally Posted by joyfret View Post
    This saved me so much time, thanks so much!
    BMW 528i Sport

My Cars
    '03 BMW 540iT
    Awesome post! Thanks! It solved a damaged headlamp and with the help of Importec and the replacement unit at a cost of $100.83 for PN# 63 17 8 360 575 the problem has been resolved. I figure this is 1/3 of what the stealership would have charged.

My Cars
    2003 E39 530

grammar error

Quote Originally Posted by joyfret View Post
    Your tag line should say "hotter THAN my ride"

My Cars
    1998 528i; 2000 540i;
    Quote Originally Posted by jslong View Post
    Your tag line should say "hotter THAN my ride"

Really? A 10 year old grammar correction?