Thread: gas gauge...

My Cars
    15 Porsche gt3

gas gauge...

Somebody help, my gas gauge is stuck at empty, but all the other gauges work fine. how do i fix this?

My Cars
    1998 E38 750IL
    Quote Originally Posted by xlifelessdaysx
    Somebody help, my gas gauge is stuck at empty, but all the other gauges work fine. how do i fix this?
    need a new fuel level sensor

My Cars
    '11 XC90, '06 Jetta 2.0T
    try this.

locate the fuse associated with the fuel gauge (I can't remember, it might be #31, but check the schematic under the fuse box cover) and pull it, leaving it out for about 10 minutes. Reinsert, then turn on ignition to #2 position, and your gauge should come back to normal.
    I believe the procedure was to pull the fuse, turn the ignition to #2, turn ignition off, replace fuse, turn ignition back on.

That should work, it worked for me.
    -Dave

My Cars
    15 Porsche gt3
    werd thanks guys

My Cars
    1997 M3
    I had the same problem, so i looked around here and found this fix. it works, and it was fuse 31 on my 94 325i.

My Cars
    91 325i, 91 318i, 94 325ic
    Worked for me. 1994 325ci . Pulled the fuse, turn the ignition to #2, turn ignition off, replace fuse, turn ignition back on.

What I don't get is that after I filled the tank the gauge continued to go down. How could it do that. If there is a gauge in the tank if it got stuck it wouldn't move, but it wouldn'd go down as I drove. WTH?

My Cars
    '99 Alpine White M3
    My gas gauge used to go haywire from time to time. ITs a well known malady with our gauges. But for the last 10k miles, for some reason, its been behaving perfectly. But this procedure sounds simple enough, and effective too. IF it doesnt fix itself, then do the procedure.
    '11 AW 135i ; Sold: '99 White M3 81k mi; Dinan SC kit, 6"/3.48" sc pulleys, Aftercooler: 10.5 psi-367 SAE rwhp/304 rwftlbs @80 degrees ambient (still with OBDII manifold & stock cats); DynoTuning by Nick G (techniquetuning.com); Speed Shop: Imported Cars of Stamford; AA-Aquamist Water Injection, exhaust, clutch; Fikse FM-10s; Koni Suspension; Stealthboxes

http://s11.photobucket.com/albums/a173/boostm3/

My Cars
    S2k E36 M3
    My gas gauge is also stuck at 1/2 a tank, do u know if it is also fuse #31 on a 98 m3, I looked under the fuse box and could not find a "gas gauge sensor"

Thanks, Eric

My Cars
    yes
    Quote Originally Posted by ummpwr View Post
    My gas gauge is also stuck at 1/2 a tank, do u know if it is also fuse #31 on a 98 m3, I looked under the fuse box and could not find a "gas gauge sensor"

Thanks, Eric
    Yeah, it's 31. Just did it to mine(my98). I guess there's a "tsb" that states that deposits collect on the sensor and it should be replaced. Second time mine did it in a year....not worth messing with the sensor yet

Don