Thread: How to replace e46 blower motor

My Cars
    2000 323ci

Thumbs up How to replace e46 blower motor

Hello all, I am hoping someone can clue me in as to how to replace the blower motor on a 2000 323? I fould plenty on the e30 and e36, but nothing on e46. Any info would be great! THANKS

My Cars
    2000 323I
    I had this noise coming from mine so I can tell you how to get to it but not sure how to replace it. I couldn't get it to move since there were the clips holding it. I just oiled the motor and the noise stopped. You need to open the hood. Remove the microfilter and the housing. Once the housing is removed you will see a a "heat shield" that runs behind the engine. You need to remove that one to get to the blower motor. It takes a bit of turning and twising but you should be able to get it out. Once you have removed that you should see the motor. Not sure what to do after that.

My Cars
    BMW
    I have developed the "chirping" noise at low fan speeds (climate control works normally other than the noise). I'd like to oil the motor. What oil should be used? Is WD-40 fine?

My Cars
    2008 335i coupe MT6
    Quote Originally Posted by nospam View Post
    I have developed the "chirping" noise at low fan speeds (climate control works normally other than the noise). I'd like to oil the motor. What oil should be used? Is WD-40 fine?
    NO NO NO NO NO

actually just try to ignore the chirp, they all do it at low speeds, its normal for model
    2008 CPO 335i, MT6,Cobb AP, AFE CAI,ER/Tial Diverter pipe/BOV,BMW Performance flat bottom steering wheel,H&R Sway bars,Reiger trunk spoiler

My Cars
    turbo m3
    Quote Originally Posted by nospam View Post
    Don't oil anything.... Good Job on searching BTW.

And, mine chirps to, BUT I've notice if i leave it on full auto mode it doesn't chirp at all. Im so happy now!!

My Cars
    '05 ZHP, '18 F87M2
    Once you have the cabin filter housing and other bulkheads out of there, you'll see the blower motor housing. There is a flap on the right side. open the flap. There is a little leaver at the bottom. Pull it up and lift the flap out. There are three clips that hold the housing cover in. One in the top center and two on the bottom. Pry them off and lift the cover off. The blower itself is baiscally two hamster wheels. There are three screws that hold it in. One in the top center and two on the right, top and bottom. Disconnect the wiring harness in the top center and pull off the metal retaining strap in the center. Then pull the motor out.

nathancarter is offline Stretch Haters Club #1 BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    2002 330i 131k
    You can attempt to lubricate it with graphite or lithium grease, but that's probably only going to be a temporary fix.

My Cars
    '85 M635; '08 535XiT
    Good DIY here:
    http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=418987

Flip through all the pages to see all the pics.
    ................'85 M635...............'08 535XiT (6-spd!)..................

My Cars
    06 M3, 99 323i, 95 JGC
    Light motor oil lasted about 7-9 months. It's a PITA to get out though. I think I'll try the graphite or lithium grease next time around and see how that goes. After that... might be time for a new blower

Oh and the procedure in the Bentley manual is exactly what you need. You don't have one? Do not pass go, do not collect $200. Do go online and buy one. Best $80 investment.

My Cars
    G05, F15, E46, E21 (x2)
    If you replace the blower motor, use this part number: 64-11-3-453-729. Trust me.

My Cars
    '05 ZHP, '18 F87M2
    Quote Originally Posted by digivation View Post
    Light motor oil lasted about 7-9 months. It's a PITA to get out though. I think I'll try the graphite or lithium grease next time around and see how that goes. After that... might be time for a new blower

Oh and the procedure in the Bentley manual is exactly what you need. You don't have one? Do not pass go, do not collect $200. Do go online and buy one. Best $80 investment.
    My instructions above are almost verbatim from the Bentley manual

Quote Originally Posted by DavidF View Post
    If you replace the blower motor, use this part number: 64-11-3-453-729. Trust me.
    You're the one that discovered that the Z3 blower is identical and like, half the price?

My Cars
    G05, F15, E46, E21 (x2)
    Yep, more like 1/4 the price (list price that is....)

My Cars
    2001 BMW 325i
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidF View Post

David, you the man!! Picked one up for $65 bucks at FCP Euro!! A pain in the nut to change but works like a charm!

My Cars
    e46
    my motor is working intermittently. like every once in a while it will sound like its just blowing bursts of air. and than i just put on full speed and it goes away

is the motor going bad?

My Cars
    99 R1100RT
    Quote Originally Posted by 318bud View Post
    my motor is working intermittently. like every once in a while it will sound like its just blowing bursts of air. and than i just put on full speed and it goes away

is the motor going bad?
    Final stage resistor going bad. DIY is out there, just search.
    1999 BMW R1100RT
    2005 MC C230K Sport
    2007 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab Z71
    2010 Chevy Tahoe LT2