Thread: HELP!!When do I know if control arm bushings need replacing

HELP!!When do I know if control arm bushings need replacing

When do I know if control arm bushings need replacing and how difficult to do the change?
    What is the procedure?
    Thanks

My Cars
    92 328iFI, 02 325iT, 00 528iT

control arm bushings

Depends on how many miles you have driven how hard. If the previous owner was a little old lady who never got over 30mph then you will be ok till you feel like changing them. If bought your car from a speed junkie and are currently auto-xing your ride and it has more than 70k on it, I would go ahead and replace them. I would also replace the control arms as well while you are in there. If you want some better alignment specs(as far as handling is concerned) get the offset control arm bushings from Turner Motorsport and some 95 M3 control arms. Do not use 96 and up arms with the offset bushings as the later arms are different. This upgrade will get you better road feel and help with turn in. Plus the M3 stuff is stronger and will last longer in a given situation when compared with stock. If you have a press or are handy with a jack this is a do it yourself fix. The bently manual outlines it nicely. Otherwise I would find an independent mechanic to do it. It should only be a couple hours labor for a decent mechanic. If you do get the offset bushings make sure the mechanic knows which way they go.
    Ryan
    92 328i TCD TrackTurbo stage 1
    02 325iT SportWagon
    00 528iT SportWagon

Control Arm/Bushing Replacement

Bad bushings can cause several problems, on my '95 325is it was causing an intermittant shimmy that came and went as it pleased when I applied the brakes. After looking at the job and talking to my local shop I decided to replace both bushings as well as the control arms b/c my car had about 70k on it. The job was not too difficult, just time consuming.

Removal: (2 hours)

1. Spray penetrating oil on all the nuts and bolts and allow it time to do its work, especially on the inner and outer ball joint nuts.
    2. Remove inner and outer ball joint nuts (This is the most difficult part, especially on the driver's side, because there is not much room to work)
    3. Use a "pickle fork" to separate the inner and outer ball joints. (Once you do this step you are committed to replacing the control arms as well as the bushings because the pickle fork will damage the rubber seals on the ball joints)
    4. Remove the 2 bolts that hold the bushing carrier to the underbody of the car.

You should now be able to take the control arm out from under the car (with the bushing on it). I used a hacksaw to cut the bushing and carrier from the control arm. Once it had the bushing and carrier off the control arm, I used the hacksaw to cut the bushing out of the carrier (being careful not to cut the carrier whatsoever).

I took my bushing carriers to the shop when I picked up my parts and had them push the new bushings into the carriers, (being sure they line up the arrow on the bushing with the arrow on the carrier) this can be difficult and time consuming if you try to do it yourself. I would also get some new lock nuts for the ball joints from your local shop or hardware store.

Installation: (1 hour) (Do one side at a time)

1. With all the parts at home (and the control arm in a bench vice) I sprayed the ends of the control arm and the inside of the bushing with silicone spray and pushed the bushings onto the control arms. (Use a spinning motion and all of your weight)

2. Immediately after getting your bushings onto the control arms install the control arms back onto the car as you took them off. (you want to do this as quickly as you can, because you need to get the car off jacks/jack stands before the silicone lubricant dries in order to "pre-load" the bushings)

I know this has been a lengthy explanation, but this is a fairly easy job that can save you a good chunk of change. I think my local shop quoted me about $600 for the job and I did it my self for about $200.

Hope this helps.

My Cars
    Bernmobile
    Changing out the control arm bushings was about the hardest part of my suspension install. If you have the right tools it is much easier. I made do with a medium sized bench vise and some elbow grease. Read about my adventure here:

http://bimmerforums.com/forum/showth...&threadid=3476

It was a hard weekend, but satisfying

Good luck!
    Bernman