Thread: A/C Blower Motor ?

My Cars
    BMW 740il

A/C Blower Motor ?

I have a 1995 BMW 740iL. I am far from being a mechanic - just trying to save a little money on something that I hope is simple to fix.

Today my A/C started making a sound like a piece of paper stuck in a fan. I continued to let it run as it was a rather warm 90 degrees outside. As it continuted to run, it sounded like the fan was going slower and slower, and the air blowing out the vents became weaker and weaker. Ultimately, the noise stopped and so did the air. (There is still a very small amount of air coming out of the vents that is cold.)

I have a few questions for anyone kind enough to help:

What is the likely problem?
    How can I test it to be sure this is the problem?
    How easy is it to fix?
    Where can I get instructions that would show me how to fix it (if it is the a/c blower motor, for example, I'm not even sure where to find it)?
    Where is the best place to order parts?

A million thanks for anyone's help.

TZS

plik is offline Voted "Nicest Guy" - 2007
    My Cars
    1998 740i
    I'm a die-hard do-it-yourselfer, but even I would save up my money to pay someone else to do this one.

Here's how you do it, http://www.bimmerboard.com/forums/posts/45351

Here is what the blower motor looks like.

And here is where it's located.

Last edited by plik; 06-04-2006 at 06:57 PM.

My Cars
    2008 Z4 3.0si Bright Red
    Jeez.....chuck that, Farley!!! If I ever did that to my car, I'd have to fight back the tears. Better let someone else do it, and let them cry all the way to the bank.

jake

2001 740i Titansilber & grey...daily beater.

My Cars
    BMW 740iL
    Here's a couple things to do....The easiest first, it is best if you have someone in the car pushing the buttons.

See if the fresh air dampers are operating, they probably are, just open hood and look for the 2 black flaps, push them open and view the dampers movement. Again, I doubt these dampers are your problem:

Then move to the passenger side under the glove box. You'll find the recirculation filters there, remove this filter and verify the damper is operating properly, re opening and closing when the AC button is pushed:

And if you want to see if your blower motor is spinning on different settings, you can look through the open the AC / Recirculation damper [see #2 in following pic] and see if the blower motor is spinning. You need to tuck your head up under the glovebox to look through the damper to see a side shot of the blower motor:

If the passenger side AC / Recirculation damper are not working properly, you'll also need to check the drivers side....

Good luck.

----------------------------------------------------------

My Cars
    95 540i6:04 Navi
    Oh its not that hard. I did it in 3 hours. It can be rather intimidating at first.

BBS RC 18X8.5 et13:245/40/18:Koni SA/H&R Sport/M5 3mm Upper Spring Pads/M5T 25mm/20mm Swaybars/Racing King Subframe Inserts/Magnaflow High Flow Cats/Magnaflow Exhaust/3 Inch Tips/Euro Clears/32%Tint/40% on Windshield/6500K HID H1's Headlights and Fogs/Depo Smilies/Factory Shadowline Trim/Shadowline Grill/93 Octane EAT Chip/M5 License Plate Holder/UUC Short Shift Kit/3.15 LSD/ More to Come...

My Cars
    BMW 740il

Would this option work?

Thanks guys. I couldn't have asked for a better instruction manual to do this job than what you provided, and the response time to my posted question was incredible. As much as I would like to save the money, it looks like a bit more than I may be able to handle, unfortunately.

However, I thought of a simple idea that might work - if someone can give me some further insight. Let's say a leaf (because that's kind of what it sounded like) has made its way down into the blower and has "clogged" it from moving. The car recently went through a car wash that uses a powerful blower to dry the car off at the end of the wash, and I am wondering it if forced a leaf in from under the hood.

Is it possible that I could remove the large grill vent on top of the dashboard and get to the leaf and remove it?

If so, how does the grill vent come off - I tried prying it up with a little screwdriver and ended up chipping a little piece off of it (you can probably see why I am hesitant to remove the whole dash).

Thanks for anyone's generous help! - TZS

My Cars
    '98 740il, '06 X5 3i
    It appears very hard but is infact really easy if you have lotsssssssssss of patience and not your daily driver. Before I replaced the blower motor and resistor on my 1 month old(back then) E38 (the previous owner told me it doesnt work when he was selling), I thought I could never do it. But all you need is lotsssssssss of patience, go slow, the instuctions available on e38.org are excellent, its more like spoon feeding which I hate but helped me finish the job in a few hours. The hardest part would be to remove the plastic lever's which block the blower motor assembly, you have to be really slow and try all angles not forcing or prying them. Once again, I tell you it is pretty easy and not at all hard. Also, depends on your service skills so far. I have changed the starter motor on a nissan, a radiator on a honda and brakes on a mazda, and I would say, if you follow the instructions on e38.org it shouldnt take you more than a day over the weekend. Just dont force anything out and follow the instructions step by step. Its just like spoon feeding.....
    '06 X5 3i

My Cars
    BMW 740il
    I appreciate the encouragement. I'm still not sure if I'm willing to risk doing more harm than good.

What do you think about the idea of at least checking for a leaf blocking the blower motor by going in through the top? Do you think that could work - if so, do you know how to remove the grill vent on top of the dash?

Thanks - TZS

My Cars
    1999 740 IL, 96 Olds Aurora (sold)
    Quote Originally Posted by TZS
    Thanks guys. I couldn't have asked for a better instruction manual to do this job than what you provided, and the response time to my posted question was incredible. As much as I would like to save the money, it looks like a bit more than I may be able to handle, unfortunately.

However, I thought of a simple idea that might work - if someone can give me some further insight. Let's say a leaf (because that's kind of what it sounded like) has made its way down into the blower and has "clogged" it from moving. The car recently went through a car wash that uses a powerful blower to dry the car off at the end of the wash, and I am wondering it if forced a leaf in from under the hood.

Is it possible that I could remove the large grill vent on top of the dashboard and get to the leaf and remove it?

If so, how does the grill vent come off - I tried prying it up with a little screwdriver and ended up chipping a little piece off of it (you can probably see why I am hesitant to remove the whole dash).

Thanks for anyone's generous help! - TZS
    I understand what you mean about getting to the source yourself to save some money, but I am not quite sure how you would pull those vents out without taking apart the dash. If it is possible, check out www.e38.org and they should have it listed.

If you really have something stuck in there, try checking all of the cabin filters, something may be caught on them, or while accessing them, you could find the source of your noise? Though the cabin filters are easier than the blower motor, it is not replacing the air filter.

My Cars
    BMW 740il
    I tried e38.org, but couldn't find what I was looking for - thanks for the suggestion though.

Just for clarification - I don't want to pull all of the directional vents off the front of the dash, but there is one large grill vent on top of the dash that seems like it could be popped off, yet I don't want to break it trying if it's not meant to come off. I see some foam rubber when I look down through that vent. From the pictures I looked at on removing the blower motor, it looks like it might be located just below the foam rubber, which is why I was hoping that would be an easy entry into finding any blockage.

I'll try checking the cabin filters as you suggested.

Thanks again.

My Cars
    I tried e38.org, but couldn't find what I was looking for - thanks for the suggestion though.

Just for clarification - I don't want to pull all of the directional vents off the front of the dash, but there is one large grill vent on top of the dash that seems like it could be popped off, yet I don't want to break it trying if it's not meant to come off. I see some foam rubber when I look down through that vent. From the pictures I looked at on removing the blower motor, it looks like it might be located just below the foam rubber, which is why I was hoping that would be an easy entry into finding any blockage.

Thanks again.
    I know what you mean...the part where the alarm indicator is located right? Why not try to email the one who posted the instructions for the blower replacement so he may be able to tell you if that piece was removable or not.

My Cars

Thanks again.
    Go to www.e38.org and find Autohaus Arizona to get the filters they are MUCH cheaper than any other place. I got all four filters for the price that many places are charging for one! There are 4 total filters. two under the hood, one under drivers side and one under passenger side. There is also links to show you how to put them all in. I ordered them and they are in the mail.

My Cars
    1995 740il
    Whats the difference between the blower motor and the blower motor resistor??

My Cars
    1995 740il
    ?

My Cars
    95 540i6:04 Navi
    They are 2 seperate pieces. The resistor bolts on top of the blower motor and is a good idea to replace if you are going to do the job. Usually its just the motor but at times it can be the resistor as well. If you follow the write-up its really not that bad just time consuming. Dont let all of those wires, airbag, etc. intimidate you.

The stealership charges 6-8 hours to do this job not including parts btw.

BBS RC 18X8.5 et13:245/40/18:Koni SA/H&R Sport/M5 3mm Upper Spring Pads/M5T 25mm/20mm Swaybars/Racing King Subframe Inserts/Magnaflow High Flow Cats/Magnaflow Exhaust/3 Inch Tips/Euro Clears/32%Tint/40% on Windshield/6500K HID H1's Headlights and Fogs/Depo Smilies/Factory Shadowline Trim/Shadowline Grill/93 Octane EAT Chip/M5 License Plate Holder/UUC Short Shift Kit/3.15 LSD/ More to Come...

My Cars
    1995 740il
    Oh alright. I am deff. doing it myself, dealer/shop here wanted like $500 labor only!!!! Not worth it, not one bit.