RM European Auto Parts

Thread: cost of replacing coolant system.

My Cars
    528i

cost of replacing coolant system.

About how much would it cost for me to replace a water pump and a leaking thermostat for a 1997 528i, if I were to bring it into a shop? I just want a rough estimate of what to expect. And if its too expensive do you recommend that I just try to replace it myself? How hard is it to replace a water pump and thermostat?

Discuss.

My Cars
    1999 328ic, manual tranny
    If you have the tools and ability do it yourself, you'll save a lot of money. Water pump and thermostat are right up front and fairly easy to get to.

My Cars
    moded e36 4 banger
    went to the stealer and got raped with $2600
    coul

My Cars
    528i
    yea i went to a bmw repair shop and the guy said 900 to 1200, does that sound reasonable? or should i just try to repair it myself for that price?

My Cars
    Z3 3.0i Roadster, E39 530i, Toyota Previa S/C
    Quote Originally Posted by Black BMW
    About how much would it cost for me to replace a water pump and a leaking thermostat for a 1997 528i, if I were to bring it into a shop? I just want a rough estimate of what to expect. And if its too expensive do you recommend that I just try to replace it myself? How hard is it to replace a water pump and thermostat?

Discuss.
    Ok, let's just talk parts first:

1) water pump $70
    2) thermostat $30
    3) thermostat housing (aluminum one) $60
    4) bmw coolant - $15

Bare in mind, those are high estimates, so total is about $175 in parts. Round that up to $200 just so you'll be happy when you find out you'll spend a little less.

Get a quote, subtract $200. Then ask yourself, for that amount of money, is it worth going out and buying a few tools and spending a few hours to do this yourself.

My Cars
    01 540i
    Quote Originally Posted by bimmerZ5
    Ok, let's just talk parts first:

1) water pump $70
    2) thermostat $30
    3) thermostat housing (aluminum one) $60
    4) bmw coolant - $15

Bare in mind, those are high estimates, so total is about $175 in parts. Round that up to $200 just so you'll be happy when you find out you'll spend a little less.

Get a quote, subtract $200. Then ask yourself, for that amount of money, is it worth going out and buying a few tools and spending a few hours to do this yourself.
    I did the replacement myself and saved only $150 from an independent BMW shop. That was with a new radiator, new hoses, etc. but no waterpump. I put in a composite waterpump and expansion tank which matched the quote. Next time, I would let the shop do it and also deal with other unexpected problems.

My Cars
    528i
    Quote Originally Posted by stormtrooper
    I did the replacement myself and saved only $150 from an independent BMW shop. That was with a new radiator, new hoses, etc. but no waterpump. I put in a composite waterpump and expansion tank which matched the quote. Next time, I would let the shop do it and also deal with other unexpected problems.

how much did it cost you for this job? was it anywhere near my estimate of $900-1200?

My Cars
    01 540i
    Quote Originally Posted by Black BMW
    how much did it cost you for this job? was it anywhere near my estimate of $900-1200?
    Two independent BMW shops quoted me about $450 to replace a thermostat, aluminum housing, radiator, 2 hoses and coolant. It costed me about $300 for a DIY plus a pressure test. I added a composite waterpump and expension tank, bringing to a total of $450. It was most time-consuming of several DIYs I did as a first-timer.

My Cars
    1998 328i
    Wow, thats a great deal from an indy, I would have let them do it too. Unfortunately around here they'll charge from $1,200 and up. I'm doing the cooling overhaul in a couple of weeks myself, I've done everything else so I figure I can handle this. Tons of DIYs out there to help out, I figure around $300 for everything.

My Cars
    i would have to agree, stormtrooper's indy shops quoted him an awesome price. i live in southern cali too, and there's no way i'd get a quote that low, including the new radiator. However, the $1200 and up quote seems a bit ridiculous... for that price, I'd expect hot naked chics for their mechanics/techs.

My Cars
    Quote Originally Posted by yeaaa05
    went to the stealer and got raped with $2600
    ouch! did you have to bring your own lube?

My Cars
    1998 328i
    Quote Originally Posted by bimmerZ5
    ouch! did you have to bring your own lube?
    that must have been some reach-around!

My Cars
    01 540i
    Didnt know it was cheap after the same shop gave me a $1,500 quote for repairing A/C.

I'd think if the savings doing DIY is up to $250, let the shop does the replacement. Thats me.

My Cars
    99 M3 Euro, 09 Fit
    man i replaced whole cooling system on my volvo with no experience in 2.5 hours its not that hard with common hand tools

you can do it cheap we have faith
    99 Techno S50B32 6-speed ///M3 (Complete)
    Mods: SOLD

My Cars
    1998 328i
    yeah but you're from Queens

My Cars
    1997 328i
    I replaced my t-stat and t-stat housing in about 2 hours from start to finish. That was the first time I ever worked on my BMW other than an oil change. I was hesitant at first but there are some great DIY sites out there. I did buy the $30 slim line wrench but the entire job probably cost me around $100 for the t-stat, alum. housing and coolant.
    "A fast car does not make a fast driver"

My Cars
    01 540i
    Quote Originally Posted by stormtrooper
    Two independent BMW shops quoted me about $450 to replace a thermostat, aluminum housing, radiator, 2 hoses and coolant. It costed me about $300 for a DIY plus a pressure test. I added a composite waterpump and expension tank, bringing to a total of $450. It was most time-consuming of several DIYs I did as a first-timer.
    Update: My Nissens only 1 year old was leaking for a month. I took my car to the shop and bailed out at a total cost of $802 for labor and a new radiator. I'm doing a DIY spending $150 this time.