Thread: Why does only one side of my blinkers work all of a sudden???

Puget Sound, WA - San Juan MM Philippines
    My Cars
    97 M-Technic 328i * 06 Navigator * 08 C350

Why does only one side of my blinkers work all of a sudden???

I was playing with my front corner lamp bulb. I was putting in different LED style bulbs to see which one radiated better in the housing. I had the flashers going as I was putting in bulbs and taking them out again... when I was putting in one of them it got kind of stuck and I twisted it a little harder, then I heard a bzz-bzzz bzz-bzzzz and my flashers stopped going. I thought to my self "oh ISHT I need a new flasher now", but I checked the fuses and the 15A fuse had blown (there is a 15A and a 5A and the 5A was fine). I was relieved to see that, so I just replaced the fuse. I turned on the flasher again to continue on, but now only the passenger side flashes. Could the relay have gone on one side? I know the relay has like 5+ plugs on it; could it be connected to the bulbs individually, or could it have one side or the other? I could understand if for some reason I had done something to the corner lamp socket, but why one entire side? For sake of completeness I also replaced the 5A fuse that hadn't blown, but of course that did nothing.

Little help?? TIA
    Last edited by EEEEeeee36; 08-02-2006 at 02:09 PM.

My Cars
    BMW 850 and E55 AMG
    check the contacts and the fuses. i believe there is a contact that can get pushed, worn etc, and needs to be cleaned/ bent back slightly.

shouldn't cost you a think

Giftschrank Projekt

My Cars
    Quote Originally Posted by enda320
    check the contacts and the fuses. i believe there is a contact that can get pushed, worn etc, and needs to be cleaned/ bent back slightly.

shouldn't cost you a think
    A contact? Where? The fuses are fine, as stated in Post #1 I checked/replaced all that were bad. It's not just one bulb, it's the ENTIRE DRIVER'S SIDE turn indicators; my front corner, my side marker, AND my rear indicator are ALL not working. Also, on my dash the left arrow stopped working, and also the hazard button doesn't flash red (even though the flasher unit is still clicking). That's why I think it's a relay, but I don't know for sure.

My Cars
    BMW e36 318iS coupe
    did you have your indicators on ? or your hazards on when changing these bulbs ? check the fuses/relays for the appropiate maybe ?

prob already done that tho

phone BMW or an auto eletriction

My Cars
    Cosmos 97 328i
    check the socket for the one that you were putting in when it shorted out...me thinks you will be needing a new one...

My Cars
    Quote Originally Posted by maritusE36
    check the socket for the one that you were putting in when it shorted out...me thinks you will be needing a new one...
    What should I look for? Visually, it looks fine. Also, I have city lights in my ZKWs and the city light running off of that corner lamp is working just fine... I don't know if that is related, but they do share the same ground wire.

My Cars
    Hey peeps, I'm still having this problem. What could be causing it? That last thing I need right now is to have to spend $100/hour for a BMW Tech to say "I dunno.. " Has anyone had this problem before?? I got honked at this morning because I couldn't signal left for my lane change... the lady thought I was just being an a-hole....

My Cars
    4 BMWs.
    Quote Originally Posted by EEEEeeee36
    Hey peeps, I'm still having this problem. What could be causing it? That last thing I need right now is to have to spend $100/hour for a BMW Tech to say "I dunno.. " Has anyone had this problem before?? I got honked at this morning because I couldn't signal left for my lane change... the lady thought I was just being an a-hole....
    try changing that front socket, maybe you screwed something up in there when you pushed it harder, something you cant see with the naked eye.
    2001 Z3 3.0i -Oxford Green/Sandbeige
    2016 428xi -Estoril Blue II/Black
    2018 430iC- Estoril Blue II/Black
    2018 330it - Melbourne Red/Venetian Beige/Black

My Cars
    Quote Originally Posted by amancuso
    try changing that front socket, maybe you screwed something up in there when you pushed it harder, something you cant see with the naked eye.
    You think maybe it's a short with that socket? Hmm... I'll look into that also. I wonder if the sockets can be replaced easily... I didn't see a place to plug in the wires to the harness anywhere.

My Cars
    Update: this problem worked itself out. I think it was the socket; I was playing with the socket and it started working again.

My Cars
    5/94 Euro 325i coupe
    It's likely that the relay is going bad, happened to me. It worked sometimes, sometimes it did not, only one side, the other side always worked fine.

I'd order one asap, I think it's dangerous to drive without blinkers.

Quote Originally Posted by ClintonM3 View Post
    the Audi A4 is a tweaked, cosmetically enhanced, cross platform, put-together overnight VW.
    Quote Originally Posted by joeuser528e View Post
    Staggard setups are for cars that you park at show meets. They go well with 5 screens and 3 12"s.

My Cars
    1989 325i, 2004 C230
    I have been having a similar problem and for the life of me I cannot figure out what is wrong. I dropped $50 for a new flasher relay and I still have the problem, as well as some more information. When I put in the new relay and hit my hazzards both sides appeared to work for a split second, then I heard a pop. I though "oh crap" there goes $50 for the relay, but it turned out to be the 15 amp fuse (#34 on my 97ti) that controls the flashers. So I put in a new fuse and it instantly blew. So I pulled the new relay and put in my old one (where only the passenger side lights blink) and replaced the fuse. Now I am back to square a where only the passenger side blinks, but all my running lights work (DRIVE and PASS). It's not the end of the world since my running lights all work - it's just that I would like to be able to signal when I make a left turn

I also switched sides for all 3 bulbs and they worked fine on the passenger side of the car, so I know they are good. It's just like the driver's side id DOA. Any more help on this matter would be greatly appreciated.
    ::wasabinuki::......we're going hard & fast

My Cars
    '95 Alpine M3
    bump this up from the dead because I'm having the same problem as wasabinuki!

My Cars
    1996 328iS Silver/Bl
    Quote Originally Posted by EEEEeeee36 View Post
    I got honked at this morning because I couldn't signal left for my lane change... the lady thought I was just being an a-hole....
    1. Place arm outside window.
    2. For left turn, straighten arm fully and point in the left direction.
    3. For right turn, bend arm upward at 90 degree angle and point towards sky.

Problem solved easily and legally

BTW and unrelated...did you guys know that a WINDSHIELD is not required safety equip in Missouri?

If the glass is CRACKED you'll fail inspection, but if you have NO windshield, you'll pass...
    Last edited by Ramv36; 11-13-2008 at 08:08 PM.