Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to tell if front strut mount is bad

My Cars
    Spec E30, 997 Turbo, F80

Question

How do tell if the front strut mount is bad. I heard a metallic clanking sound coming from that area today when I hit a bump. Any help is apprecaited.
    Damion Moses
    Spec E46 #620

My Cars
    05 GT3,M3 LTW, E90 325, E46 325, E46 M3 Conv,
    Go raise your hood and press down hard on the strut tower. If you here the popping noise again then it is probably bad. If everytime you push on the strut tower then you know it is bad.

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3
    Sorry about raising this thread from the dead but I believe I have this problem but after an hour of searching I was not able to find a specific answer to my question. My front driver's side makes a slight clunking noise when I go over bumps, and I did this test and I can hear something clunk when I jerk the strut tower back and forth. Also, the driver's side sits probably 1/2" lower than the passenger side.

Does this sound like a bad strut mount?

If so, exactly what do I need to buy, one thread I found here linked to realoem.com that had about 20 parts inside the upper mount. Which do I need to replace to resolve this problem?

Thanks in advance.

Sorry if I sound like a newb, I'm new to the BMW world :-)

My Cars
    1999 Estoril Blue M3 Convertible
    oem boge suspension? Make sure the strut top nut is tight, often that's the clunking. I have bilsteins and have had to tighten them up once.

if I where you, I'd just get the entire strut hat, around 70 apiece..
    1999 Estoril Blue M3 Convertible
    1997 TL1000S (Daily road, track, touring bike)
    2002 KTM 300MXC (Enduro racer)

GOD - An imaginary friend for Grownups.

My Cars
    1997 M3/4, 2000 323iT, 1996 Grand Voyager
    Also, check the sway bar end links - they're bolted directly to the struts on the M3's. The ball joints at either end of the the links wear and cause clunking noises over bumps.

1997 BMW M3/4/5

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3
    Quote Originally Posted by wsmc831
    oem boge suspension? Make sure the strut top nut is tight, often that's the clunking. I have bilsteins and have had to tighten them up once.

if I where you, I'd just get the entire strut hat, around 70 apiece..
    Yes, this is the OEM suspension. The previous owner had some sort of aftermarket suspension on the car but returned it back to stock sometime last year.

Also, where do you get the strut hat?
    Last edited by jgrotkier; 04-14-2006 at 05:38 PM.

My Cars
    '98 M3/4
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...nce&n=15684181

That is one of the best bang-for-buck diagnostic tools you can own.

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3
    Quote Originally Posted by monkeywrench
    Also, check the sway bar end links - they're bolted directly to the struts on the M3's. The ball joints at either end of the the links wear and cause clunking noises over bumps.
    When I shook the strut tower the noise definately seemed to be coming from the top of the strut, wouldn't that noise be lower?

My Cars
    03 m3

do something abou tit before this happens!!!
    07 MDX | 08 m3

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3
    Quote Originally Posted by resisTm3

do something abou tit before this happens!!!
    Holy crap! Well where can I buy the hat? Does anyone know the part #, etc?

Thanks!!

My Cars
    86 D21, EW 66
    The picture above is the rear shock tower, not the front strut tower. 96+ E36 M3s have a reinforcement plate that does between the strut "hat" and the strut tower. 95 M3s don't have that part. Scroll to the end of the camber plate section.

http://www.meisterschaftmotor.com/su...mp.html#camber

If you are shaking the strut and its making noise, i would check the 3 bolts that hold the strut hat to the strut tower, the hat itself, or the top nut that tolds the strut to the hat.

My Cars
    '91 E34 M5, '89 325i, '00 Saab 9-5 Wagon
    Holy 5 year old thread Batman!

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3
    Quote Originally Posted by 4ZPN
    The picture above is the rear shock tower, not the front strut tower. 96+ E36 M3s have a reinforcement plate that does between the strut "hat" and the strut tower. 95 M3s don't have that part. Scroll to the end of the camber plate section.

If you are shaking the strut and its making noise, i would check the 3 bolts that hold the strut hat to the strut tower, the hat itself, or the top nut that tolds the strut to the hat.
    I'm not shaking the strut itself, I'm shaking the strut tower from inside the engine bay. I will still check those bolts, but if thats not it?

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3
    Can anyone tell me where I can get a strut hat? I am still confused about specifically which part to order.

Thanks again.

My Cars
    M3, cbr1000rr (sold)
    Quote Originally Posted by jgrotkier
    Can anyone tell me where I can get a strut hat? I am still confused about specifically which part to order.

Thanks again.
    http://www.pelicanparts.com/bmw/cata...pg3.htm#item11

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3
    Awsome! Thank you!

My Cars
    '97 328i '73 Porsche

Yes, muchos gracias!!!

Yes, thank you all for the helpful info. I have M3 suspension on my 328i and have this exact same problem. Now I know and there I go! -Paul

Oh ya, and this 5 year old thread is getting kinda old. Someone should start a new one all over again. That's never been done before.
    Alpine White '97 328i 5 speed: S50 cams, M50 Manifold, TMS Cam/Intake Specific Software, UUC Stage II Clutch Kit, EVO 3 Short Shift Kit with DSSR, CAI, Cat-Back, ASC, Fan & CDV Delete, All M3 Stock Suspension & Brakes, 3.23 LSD, 17" DS II's, Stainless Steel Brake Lines & Clutch Line, Depos Elipsoids & M3 mirrors

My Cars
    97 M3, 02 4runner
    going to bring this thread back to life.

ordered bilstein sports for my baby. just searching around for helpful hints and tips for install.

the front strut mounts i should test by pushing down on the car and seeing if theres clunking noises and also try wiggling the shock to see if theres play. any other ways to test if my FRONT strut mounts are okay? visually?

ive only had the car for a couple of months and i dont know how long its been since shes been riding on h&r sports and blown shocks all around. it seems the front passenger bottoms out on almost anything sticking out of the road. like big sewer caps. im concerned about the front shock mounts during my install. ive tested the push and wiggle and it seems okay
    Last edited by BMDubalew; 12-07-2006 at 02:17 AM.

1997 Alpine White BMW M3
    2002 Stellar Blue Pearl Toyota 4runner Sport Edition 4wd

My Cars
    1995 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by BMDubalew View Post
    going to bring this thread back to life.

ordered bilstein sports for my baby. just searching around for helpful hints and tips for install.
    There are a plethora of installation threads with pics.
    Also we have a DIY Library that has a compilation of diy's from various sources.
    Twice resurrected...must be a record. lol

My Cars
    97 M3, 02 4runner
    i know where the install threads are and the diy section, thanks

im asking questions about the front strut mount. how else can i tell if its broken visually and by other means of testing while its on the car so i can determine if i need new ones..

1997 Alpine White BMW M3
    2002 Stellar Blue Pearl Toyota 4runner Sport Edition 4wd

My Cars
    99 M3, 90 535iA, 89 325is
    Quote Originally Posted by BMDubalew View Post
    i know where the install threads are and the diy section, thanks

im asking questions about the front strut mount. how else can i tell if its broken visually and by other means of testing while its on the car so i can determine if i need new ones..
    Take off the cap from the engine bay and look down into the mount. You may see anything from torn or worn rubber on the mount, worn bearings, etc.

The other thing you might be able to do is to take measurements of both sides. The clunk is due to either the rubber, bearing wear or a loose top nut, so there may be sight differences in the mount dimensions.

Check the amount of threads viewable at the top nut on each side. If the nut is loose, you will get the clunk. Had the same problem on my E30. Over time it loosened. I was about ready to replace the mount when I took my impact gun to the top nut and just gave it a little zap. No more clunk. Unfortunately, you can't do that on the M3 without removing the strut assembly from underneath the shock tower.

Getting ready to check my mounts as I'm getting the clunk on my M3...
    bmwpower / bmwcca 147895 / 05 X5 / 99 M3 / 90 535i / 89 325is track project

My Cars
    VW passat
    i hate to bring this thread form dead but is this the problem
    and how did any one solve it ???
    I got e36 m3 sedan
    Since i got the car i been experiencing knocking in the front passenger tower its only on low speed
    All components as far as suspension where changed except the shock with is bilstein everything is tight on the car
    I changed the upper mount twice since its when i push the car on that front corner it sound like the upper mount
    What i have noticed when i lift the car on a lift and put it down the noise is goes away when i start driving
    Or when the car sits for two days not driven and i push on the front it knocks once and then no more
    could that be the shock its self
    don't have any spear ones to check
    i made a video not the best quality
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lcn1KQpIiKU
    if any one could help or steer me in any direction would be great
    Thanks

My Cars
    99 M3 / 95 325i
    Quote Originally Posted by B.Watts View Post
    Holy 12 year old thread Batman!
    ftfy
    -Chris