Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: OBC pixel and button fix DIY...

My Cars
    09 Yamaha R6s & 95 325iC
    Quote Originally Posted by gsmith217 View Post
    Ivan,
    Great post on this diy project, but you didn't mention how to take the wire bundle off the back of the unit so you can have the unit by itself. I have had difficulty separating the unit from the wire bundle, so please help. Thanks.
    i don't understand what bundle of wires you're talking about... are you talking about the connector/ harness in the back?? that's the only wires connecting the car to the OBC..
    -Ivan

My Cars
    E46 M3 JB 6spd stick
    Quote Originally Posted by lecchilo View Post
    i don't understand what bundle of wires you're talking about... are you talking about the connector/ harness in the back?? that's the only wires connecting the car to the OBC..
    I think that is exactly what he meant.. to seperate the wires/harness from the unit you have to pull the clip which will be located above the wiring harness, and as you pull the clip over you will notice the harness will be equally detaching itself from the unit.. and voila, it's disconnected.

My Cars
    1998 328is
    Is that an on-board computer or a multi-function clock?

My Cars
    09 Yamaha R6s & 95 325iC
    Quote Originally Posted by bmtroubleu98 View Post
    Is that an on-board computer or a multi-function clock?
    OBC= on board computer
    -Ivan

My Cars
    1998 328is
    i know what OBC means...but that's a multi function clock...not an on board computer

My Cars
    09 Yamaha R6s & 95 325iC
    Quote Originally Posted by bmtroubleu98 View Post
    i know what OBC means...but that's a multi function clock...not an on board computer
    yea i guess in a way it is... it does show you when your tail lights are out and other stuff so i don't consider it a multi function clock... it's not as advanced as the 18 button obc though...
    -Ivan

My Cars
    1998 328is
    part of the multi function clock is the check control and the ambient temperature and memo functions

My Cars
    1997 328is
    Al, Lecchilo, thanks a million for taking the time to post your fix. Just spent the afternoon fixing my OBC with a friend as per your specs. It took two tries...after the first, there were still quite a few pixels missing, so we added even more tape, bringing the thickness to about 2.3 mm instead of 1.5 mm. There were about 70 per cent of pixels working before we did anything, 85-90 per cent after our first try, and 95-97 per cent after our second try - good enough for me! Finally I can see the outside temperature! Thanks again!!!

My Cars
    09 Yamaha R6s & 95 325iC
    Quote Originally Posted by lazure View Post
    Al, Lecchilo, thanks a million for taking the time to post your fix. Just spent the afternoon fixing my OBC with a friend as per your specs. It took two tries...after the first, there were still quite a few pixels missing, so we added even more tape, bringing the thickness to about 2.3 mm instead of 1.5 mm. There were about 70 per cent of pixels working before we did anything, 85-90 per cent after our first try, and 95-97 per cent after our second try - good enough for me! Finally I can see the outside temperature! Thanks again!!!
    good job, glad to help
    -Ivan

My Cars
    bmw e36
    All apologies for bringing this back up...

Lecchilo...fantastic!!!

I recently jumped the fence from mercedes to BMW...my friends aren't liking that at all!?!

I've succesfully done the capacitor renewal on my climate control unit...and now just brightened things up CPU according to your direction...bravo!!!

My question is this...

My digital odometer only half lights...service lights are fine. Other half of odometer comes on...eventually? If I apply your CPU knowledge of LCD's... will odometers be smiling?

Thanks for your help.

k

My Cars
    09 Yamaha R6s & 95 325iC
    Quote Originally Posted by thefarmyard View Post
    All apologies for bringing this back up...

Lecchilo...fantastic!!!

I recently jumped the fence from mercedes to BMW...my friends aren't liking that at all!?!

I've succesfully done the capacitor renewal on my climate control unit...and now just brightened things up CPU according to your direction...bravo!!!

My question is this...

My digital odometer only half lights...service lights are fine. Other half of odometer comes on...eventually? If I apply your CPU knowledge of LCD's... will odometers be smiling?

Thanks for your help.

k
    i'm sorry but what??? what does all that mean?? i assume only half your odomoter has light and the rest is dark, or certain spots are dark ??
    pull out the whole cluster unit, and replace the bulbs in the back... i would check all of them just to make sure some smaller ones aren't burnt out

what in the world does that mean... odometers smiling??
    sorry, i've worked for like 20 hrs so i'm kinda tired and it's late, sorry for not understanding
    -Ivan

My Cars
    bmw e36
    Hello again. Sorry about the crazy post. I was tired myself and it made perfect sense at the time. I'll try again without the kook.

I have a 1997 E36. The digital odometer appears to be LED's as opposed to an LCD. When I start the car, the bottem half of the characters do not display properly. After some time driving, they do display correctly.

Is this a bulb issue or are the LED panels known for failure?

'Smiling odometers'... My OBC's LCD panel appeared to be smiling after your fix. Well I was anyway. Just wondering what advice you have for the odometer. Are there bulbs specically for the odometer/service indicator panel, or is it in fact an LED display panel?

Thanks very much...

My Cars
    1998 323is
    Farmyard,

I have the same problem with the odometer on my '98 323. Have you found any solution?

My Cars
    95 ///M3
    Just fixed my obc thanks for the write up. Took me about an hour and looks brand new! Thanks!

My Cars
    2004 330i
    My set/reset button (the most important one!!!) on my 18 button OBC broke the other day. I was able to get the buttons off of the front, but I can't remove the circuit boards from the back. From what I can see by looking at the front, it appears that the plastic tab that goes from the button to the switch is broken. Any ideas how I can fix this?

Any hints on taking the circuit boards out? I have broken the two white tabs on the side, and tried every other tab, but I can't get it to come out. I am scared to pull on the board too much.

Thanks
    Last edited by Edlvrt; 01-17-2007 at 04:30 PM.
    2004 330i

My Cars
    92 325is
    can some1 link me to the button fix, the one on diy doesnt work

My Cars
    2012 GTI
    again, is there a button fix link? the current one doesn't work.
    97 M3 - SCCA TT Prepped
    17 F150 - Tow Pig
    05 S2000 - Sold
    88 325is - S52 powered - Sold
    95 M3 LTW Rep - Death by Altima

My Cars
    530i
    ok i did mine a while ago and it worked beautifully for about 2 weeks, then it just went bad. now its prob the same if not worse than it was before. should i just take it appart and do it again or is there something wrong with my obc?

My Cars
    e39 540ia
    think these instructions would work similarly on the obc in a 00' 540?

My Cars
    97 328i / 05 MDX

Thumbs up dude! this DIY works ....

i use to barely see anything on my OBC, now i see 100% of the pixles this DIY fix works ( took me about an hour )

... almost spent 250 bucks just for a new one , thank you Ivan!! you saved me a tonne of cash!!

good gawd , i sound like an ad! LOL ...

Steven
    97 328i - bimmer - all the way!

My Cars
    are my passion.
    i have tried this twice and the first time it looked good, then i went ahead and added a little more 3m tape and BAM the entire top half of the obc is almost completely gone... any ideas? thanks for the awesome write up, but i need help!

My Cars
    97 328i / 05 MDX
    Quote Originally Posted by e36mpwr View Post
    i have tried this twice and the first time it looked good, then i went ahead and added a little more 3m tape and BAM the entire top half of the obc is almost completely gone... any ideas? thanks for the awesome write up, but i need help!
    i think basicly the 3m tape needs to be evenly distributed? someone correct me if i 'm wrong

My toy project - 97 e36 328i -SC-

My Cars
    are my passion.
    ^^^ shoot i think it is pretty evenly distributed. but ill check it again. any idea why the bottom half of the obc is brighter than the top half?

My Cars
    94 318i, 98 328i, 90 325is
    wored fantastically!

thank you

My Cars
    09 Yamaha R6s & 95 325iC
    Quote Originally Posted by boborko View Post
    wored fantastically!

thank you
    np
    -Ivan

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast