Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: OBC pixel and button fix DIY...

My Cars
    09 Yamaha R6s & 95 325iC
    Quote Originally Posted by Daved
    Oh, is the LCD the black thing here?

So it's just black... not greenish like other LCDs?
    yea, just black... sorry didn't see your post haha, you posted before i could answer you
    -Ivan

My Cars
    97' M3 Coupe
    So say that some rows in my OBC are out and don't light up, this will fix it?

My Cars
    5/94 Euro 325i coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by lecchilo
    i'm not sure if i get what you're asking for but in post #2, fist pic shows the LCD, not that clear but it's just the LCD with a strip of connectors taped to it and also taped to the circuit board. does this help at all or no?
    Hmmm, not exactly, I need to know how the LCD is, if it's greenish like other LCDs (like the LCD on a watch or an old calculator) or if it's black, I see a black display but I'm not sure if the black thing is the LCD itself or some strip on it.

Quote Originally Posted by ClintonM3 View Post
    the Audi A4 is a tweaked, cosmetically enhanced, cross platform, put-together overnight VW.
    Quote Originally Posted by joeuser528e View Post
    Staggard setups are for cars that you park at show meets. They go well with 5 screens and 3 12"s.

My Cars
    09 Yamaha R6s & 95 325iC
    Quote Originally Posted by Don@ModBargains
    So say that some rows in my OBC are out and don't light up, this will fix it?
    probably, won't hurt it unless you tear off the connector strip (like i did on another obc)
    -Ivan

My Cars
    5/94 Euro 325i coupe
    yea, just black... sorry didn't see your post haha, you posted before i could answer you
    Oh... Thanks.

Those are bad news I was expecting it to be like a regular LCD

the Audi A4 is a tweaked, cosmetically enhanced, cross platform, put-together overnight VW.
    Staggard setups are for cars that you park at show meets. They go well with 5 screens and 3 12"s.

My Cars
    09 Yamaha R6s & 95 325iC
    Hmmm, not exactly, I need to know how the LCD is, if it's greenish like other LCDs (like the LCD on a watch or an old calculator) or if it's black, I see a black display but I'm not sure if the black thing is the LCD itself or some strip on it.
    it's black as far as i know... there was no strip on it, just black piece. it is clear on the edges though so i don't know exactly how it works. but as far as a strip that rests on top of the lcd... nothing like that on it
    -Ivan

My Cars
    09 Yamaha R6s & 95 325iC
    Oh... Thanks.

Those are bad news I was expecting it to be like a regular LCD
    damn it stop posting before i answer you haha... what do you mean like a regular LCD? i'm not familiar with how they work so i really don't know, all i know is that it wasn't green
    -Ivan

My Cars
    5/94 Euro 325i coupe
    damn it stop posting before i answer you haha... what do you mean like a regular LCD? i'm not familiar with how they work so i really don't know, all i know is that it wasn't green
    LOL

A regular black and white (actually it's black and green, lol) screen, like the external screens on some cellphones or a calculator or a wireless phone.

I thought it was a regular LCD with some filters that made the letters show up in orange and the background in black but it seems it is not.

I have a headunit with a regular LCD and I thought I could convert it somehow to look like the display on the OBC.

My Cars
    90 300zx NA, 92 325i
    My clock is kinda messed up. I might try this. Oh sorry to get off topic but why does my put german words?
    1990 Nissan 300zx NA Auto, 1992 BMW 325i Manual

My Cars
    09 Yamaha R6s & 95 325iC
    Quote Originally Posted by Arti300zx
    My clock is kinda messed up. I might try this. Oh sorry to get off topic but why does my put german words?
    it's set to german. hold the 2 left most keys, top and bottom row together, and you should see it say "function _ _" well, in german haha. choose a function, go from 0 up, and you'll find one that lets you change the language. i'll look for the exact info tomorrow, but give it a try
    -Ivan

My Cars
    BMW 328i Coupe

Smile

Thanks a lot, this trick really works!!!

My Cars
    97' M3 Coupe
    Anyone know how to remove the buttons on the OBC? I am trying to swap over some buttons right now and I am stumped.

My Cars
    09 Yamaha R6s & 95 325iC
    Quote Originally Posted by Don@ModBargains
    Anyone know how to remove the buttons on the OBC? I am trying to swap over some buttons right now and I am stumped.
    yes, if noone PMs you by tomorrow i will... i have to take off right now though sorry... i have a few pics too, i think...

btw... there should be a button repair DIY on bimmerdiy.com... check it out and let me know if you don't find it there
    -Ivan

My Cars
    E46 M3 JB 6spd stick
    AAHHH!!!!!!!! I was just at the final steps, when I was removing that stupid corner 1, and when I was trying to pull it up, I somehow managed to rip off a bit of the LCD strip along the edge of corner one :*( Is there absolutely anyway of fixing this?? like the lcd strip is ripped off of like the first 8 thicker lines, and about 20 little lines next to it that were once attached to the circuit board I am thinking about gluing it, is there any kind of glue that I can use to glue the strip of LCD back on?? Any input on how to fix this? if I just leave the lcd strip flopping around un-glued to the circuit board, and when I put it back together will it not work anymore?

My Cars
    E46 M3 JB 6spd stick

God, I feel like such an idiot... I was SOO CLOSE!! I've got this whole thing taken apart infront of my monitor on my computer desk, and dammit dammit Dammit !! That's it, i'm suing you lecchilo! haha j/k, I am just venting frustration on everything right now, I cannot believe how careless I was.. I just hope I can fix this with somebodys friendly input on what my options are

My Cars
    E46 M3 JB 6spd stick
    .... sigh, DAmmit! ....

Anyways, here is a picture of the LCD strip that attaches to the circuit board that i'm talking about which looking more closely at, looks like you ripped it too!

My Cars
    09 Yamaha R6s & 95 325iC
    hey... that sucks what happened to you man... btw i didn't rip anything

i don't know if it will work or not, might work but those strips that are torn off might not work idk

someone might know what kind of glue to use... i'm sure you can glue it back down, since that's how it's done in the first place... ask at an electronics store or something i really don't know

good luck
    -Ivan

My Cars
    E46 M3 JB 6spd stick
    hey... that sucks what happened to you man... btw i didn't rip anything

i don't know if it will work or not, might work but those strips that are torn off might not work idk

someone might know what kind of glue to use... i'm sure you can glue it back down, since that's how it's done in the first place... ask at an electronics store or something i really don't know

good luck

thanks for the fast response, damn.. I dont know what to think.. I have been pondering the idea of taking my heat gun to the strip and melting the strip on to the circuit board?? Crazy wild thinking here, but I am just thinking about a small chance that the strip might get just barely hot enough to re-glue itself to the circuit board?

My Cars
    E46 M3 JB 6spd stick
    I am pretty sure I screwed it up but that's okay, it wasnt working at first, and now it isint.. I guess if I can get a hold of a 2nd broken one from a friend, or from the dealer I might tackle this project again, knowing what to do and most imporantly what NOT to do

I have already assembled it back together, I will be putting it in my car when I will be going out, so I will post my findings as to how badly it turned out. Having ripped the part of the strip where hte hticker black lines were on, I would imaigne I disabled the vital connections which poweres the LCD screen, so I am prepared to see 100% darkness on the LCD screen.

It's too bad the stupid heat gun didnt work, I ekpt it on there for a while, but I felt the screwdriver heat up pretty hot while I was trying to hold the strip down to the circuit board hoping it would melt on.. Anyways i'll probably keep the OBC in the car for all show reasons, so nobody sees a missing spot/wires hanging out...
    Last edited by parad0x; 06-25-2006 at 03:10 AM.

My Cars
    5/94 Euro 325i coupe
    parad0x, I don't think it's possible to glue that back but good luck anyways.

My Cars
    E46 M3 JB 6spd stick
    parad0x, I don't think it's possible to glue that back but good luck anyways.

thanks, I figured so much.

My Cars
    BMW 1998 M3/4

Help please.

Can somebody please help me. I can't seem to get these two screws in blue out. It looks like I need a special screwdriver, but I can't seem to get these two out. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

My Cars
    09 Yamaha R6s & 95 325iC
    Quote Originally Posted by 888
    Can somebody please help me. I can't seem to get these two screws in blue out. It looks like I need a special screwdriver, but I can't seem to get these two out. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
    i don't know how to help other than what you said.... "special" meaning the right size screwdriver... i simply used a small flat blade to get them out... try that
    -Ivan

My Cars
    BMW 325i (1992)
    Ivan,
    Great post on this diy project, but you didn't mention how to take the wire bundle off the back of the unit so you can have the unit by itself. I have had difficulty separating the unit from the wire bundle, so please help. Thanks.

My Cars
    2.0 Honda Prelude, BMW '93' 325i
    just did the revamp and i can say it worked. followed the instructions and they worked gr8. The display isnt perfect by far but at least i can make out wot it says now. Cheers for the write up.

1993 BMW 325i coupe : 18" Lenso Alloys : M3 Steering wheel : M3 gear knob : M3 Spoiler : Full M3 cream leathers : M3 lighting all round : Alpine head unit 10 CD multichanger : More coming soon.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast