Thread: Cost to replace Master and Slave Clutch Cylinder

My Cars
    2002.5 AV6 6spd, 1998 M3

Cost to replace Master and Slave Clutch Cylinder

I was quoted $250 in labor to replace the master and slave clutch cylinders. Plus parts cost or I can buy parts elsewhere. I have two questions

1. Is labor price fair?

2. how much does each part cost and are there upgraded versions or something?

Labor also includes bleeding the system.
    Last edited by imapimp; 11-02-2005 at 11:56 AM.

My Cars
    '05 Ram 1500
    For a "certified" mechanic, I guess that's not a bad labor charge. It's really not hard to change all that stuff out though. A good mechanic should be able to do the whole job in less than 1.5 hours, and even less with someone helping.

As for parts, call up BMA: http://www.bmaautoparts.com/

Patrick is a good guy there, he has helped me out a lot. Also, they ship stuff VERY quickly.

My Cars
    2002.5 AV6 6spd, 1998 M3
    I will prolly order from them then.
    Is there any upgrades or something of that sort before I buy these. I am planning on turbo or s/c in late winter or early spring.
    thanx for the help.

My Cars
    93 325is, 86 318i, 92 626, 88 B2200, 93 VW Passat
    If you lived closer I would do it for 100$ . Clutch slave cylindar is cake to replace (about 15 minutes). Clutch master cylindar is somewhat harder (1-2 hours for a novice). You can make a cool pressure bleeder with a garden sprayer too (saw it on someones home page out there) so you do not need another body to help. If you have the money to throw around then pay a mechanic 250$. I wouldn't get too dirty if I had more mula.

Oh and to answer your question 250$ is not too bad. I bet the job pays for 4-5 hours. It will take him an hour and a half though.

Slave = 43$ Master = 67$ (free shipping)

My Cars
    Looking......
    man, pelican parts is the cheapest place i have found for any OEM parts hands down! they have excellent service also. i will always buy from them. i would almost promise you they will be the lowest price. i did my own slave but you really need it on a lift to do it. why are you having both replaced?

My Cars
    2002.5 AV6 6spd, 1998 M3
    pelican is actually a little more pricey. Shop recomended I have master done cuz that will go bad shortly after.

BMDub where are you getting those prices for parts?

They told me slave cylinder was in the transmission which makes it longer to change. Shop hourly rate is $60, might call stealership to get quote but they will most likely want me to buy parts from them.

My Cars
    01 540i/6,02M5,99M3,72E3
    Um the slave you can crawl under the car and unbolt it with a standard box end wrench if you wanted too it should take no longer than 15 minutes max to replace. Its harder to jack your car up and put it on stands than to replace the slave cyl so I dont know what your shops problem is with it being on the tranny. OF course its on the tranny and easy to get to

pac0 is offline Stanceologistically Erect
    My Cars
    02 540i/6
    Quote Originally Posted by leedawg
    Um the slave you can crawl under the car and unbolt it with a standard box end wrench if you wanted too it should take no longer than 15 minutes max to replace. Its harder to jack your car up and put it on stands than to replace the slave cyl so I dont know what your shops problem is with it being on the tranny. OF course its on the tranny and easy to get to

^ Agreed.. I just replaced my slave

E39|X5|E38 $90 MID RADIO PIXEL REPAIR - PM FOR DETAILS

My Cars
    2002.5 AV6 6spd, 1998 M3
    the more i have been researching it the more I see how simple it would be to do the slave 30 min at max. The master cyl doesnt have a problem but shop said that cuz im putting a new slave the master will have to work harder and I will end up replacing that as well.
    I wouls like to know where bmdub is getting those prices cuz the best I found was $150 shipped for both

My Cars
    01 540i/6,02M5,99M3,72E3
    Um think of it this way, why would you replace the master if its not broke yet? And why would it work any harder with a new slave cyl its desinged to push a slave cyl. Even if it does go out you can cross that bridge when you get there, no big deal so just order yourself up a slave cyl pop that bitch in yourself and call it a day

My Cars
    Looking......
    i agree, just showing how a shop is trying to take advantage of you.

My Cars
    2002.5 AV6 6spd, 1998 M3
    thanx for the info guys. I will prolly just buy part and do it myself cuz it seems real easy. Should I change any hoses or lines while I am at it?

My Cars
    01 540i/6,02M5,99M3,72E3
    Again I subscribe to the philosophy if its not broken don't fix it. Granted preventative maintance has its place as well. In this case its a judgment call on your behalf. How does the originak line look? If it looks bad might want to replace it,if not just don't worry bout it, it will fail when it fails and you can deal with it at that point in time. If youndo to much preventative maintance then younspend a lot of money on parts that you probably wouldent have to because they had a lotnof life left in them but it dosent hurt anything if youndo just more$$

My Cars
    '05 Ram 1500
    Oh wow, I didn't know they were suggesting fixing something that is working properly. That makes a BIG difference. I would tell them to shove it.

My Cars
    93 325is, 86 318i, 92 626, 88 B2200, 93 VW Passat
    Quote Originally Posted by imapimp
    the more i have been researching it the more I see how simple it would be to do the slave 30 min at max. The master cyl doesnt have a problem but shop said that cuz im putting a new slave the master will have to work harder and I will end up replacing that as well.
    I wouls like to know where bmdub is getting those prices cuz the best I found was $150 shipped for both
    I can't give up my current parts source... sorry. Last time I mentioned a site on here, 2 months later they jacked up their prices on BMW parts. Coincidence...maybe... Anywayz.. My old source was alleurasianautoparts they should be cheaper than 150 and should have free shipping after a certain amount (I have not bought from them in a while though).

Basically I have 19 sites that I compare prices at before buying anything and I always order over 50$ for free shipping but one site always wins hands down... (my secret one...lol). I do my searches at work while I'm getting paid. That way I don't feel like I'm wasting my time looking at a shi* load of sites for a few stupid things. Happy Googling.

My Cars
    09 Yamaha R6s & 95 325iC
    Quote Originally Posted by pac0
    ^ Agreed.. I just replaced my slave
    how do you know the slave is gone ??
    -Ivan

My Cars
    2002.5 AV6 6spd, 1998 M3
    that where it was leaking