Thread: Best place to get a BMW oil change for cheap?

My Cars
    1998 540iA Sport

Best place to get a BMW oil change for cheap?

Hey guys, i just bought a 98 540i and I'm going to need to get the oil changed soon. Do normal oil change quicky lubes know how to change the oil in a BMW? If not what is the best place to get it changed, keep in mind I am a poor college student and I would rather not pay dealer prices. Thanks a lot for any input.

My Cars
    '03 E39 Wagon & '04 E83

Exclamation

How do poor college students afford 540 BMWs? I was a poor college student once, and I wouldn't have been able to afford a clapped out Corolla!

Why don't you do the oil change yourself? It's got to be heaps cheaper and you can do it just as easily. If you take it to a cheap place, they'll probably put the wrong sort of oil in it, and that'll trash the motor.

My Cars
    05 M3 ZCP, 11 335d
    I vote for your driveway too.

~AIM- liquidtiger720 ~ Josh M. ~www.jmscribble.com

My Cars
    potato
    your driveway - I've known too many idiots who know sh!t about working on cars that work at those quick lube places.

My Cars
    T4R LTD 4WD
    I also vote your driveway... It is fairly easy to do... Just get the BMW Synthetic oil, OE filter, and a new drain plug gasket from the dealer... This should cost about $30-$35. This is good for an entire year... Many folks here change it more frequently though.

My Cars
    1998 540iA Sport
    thanks for the input guys, ive thought about changing it myself but i dont have any jacks or anything to lift it up with.

PS grimpy, your car looks amazing, is that a 540i with M kit? also what wheels do u have? basically what all did you do to it, its sexy, i want to do that to mine!

My Cars
    T4R LTD 4WD
    Quote Originally Posted by frankthetank528
    thanks for the input guys, ive thought about changing it myself but i dont have any jacks or anything to lift it up with.

PS grimpy, your car looks amazing, is that a 540i with M kit? also what wheels do u have? basically what all did you do to it, its sexy, i want to do that to mine!

I'm bimmerless now... It was a 528i with the Mtech kit. The wheels were Maya STM's.

For the oil change, go buy a hydraulic jacks... Those $20 ones at Pepboys/Autozone/Kragen are good enough... Also you need a huge socket the oil filter cap off... I forgot the size but just use the search button...

Just taking the car to the lube and tube places with synthetic will probably cost you $100+, so you still save alot of money and you will have a jack!

If you ever plan to lower your car significantly, get one of the low-lift jacks, I got mine from Costco... I think for $70 or something...

My Cars
    540i
    Quote Originally Posted by tempestv8
    It's got to be heaps cheaper and you can do it just as easily.
    It cost me $60 to change the oil and filter in my 540 by myself. The first time is hard. I didn't know where anything was. Lifting the car on jacks is scary as death. But, I guess it's worth it to learn yourself. Make sure to get Mobil One.
    '94 540ia - Alusil - Oxfordgrun Metallic - BBS RX - Eibach ProKit - E.A.T. Chip - Magnaflow Custom Exhaust - Fuzion ZRi - Euro Trim - Euro Clears

My Cars
    I love turbos!
    I don't jack up my 540. I just slide under and undo the oil drain bolt and shove the oil catcher under it. I love stock height!

My Cars
    e61/e60
    just get some ramps, much better then jacking the car up, safer too, another option is to get oil extractor, then you don't have to get under the car at all, perfect for changing the oil on your driveway.

My Cars
    2002 530i
    I wouldn't dare go to one of those quick lube shops. I had a bad experienced with my local Jiffy lube. The guy stripped the drain plug on my 95 Integra causing oil to drip . The best way is to do it yourself.

I haven't done any oil change myself due to space constraint. Since I purchased my 2002 530i I decided to do the maintainance. First thing I did after I purchased the car last month was to do an oil change. After doing a search I found out that using an oil extractor will be the ideal way for me.

Do a search on oil extractor and read for yourself its advantages.

My Cars
    1998 540iA Sport
    thanks guys, i'll check out that oil extractor, and I think my brother may have some ramps.

PS Grimpy, how much is your car lowered and how did u lower it? Also why did u sell her?

My Cars
    02 330Cic / 06 VW Jetta GLI
    oil extractor? skip that nonsense!

lift that car up, get underneath there and let that oil drain! This is the only way to do an oil change to get the full effect of the process. You have to get dirty, that is the point! :-)

This will lead you on the path to DIY bliss.

My Cars
    tank
    curious, where do most of your guys get your oil filter?
    Sorry... the server is too busy to fulfill your request. Please try again later.

My Cars
    Do it yourself it's easier than cooking dinner

My Cars
    tank
    Quote Originally Posted by builder
    Do it yourself it's easier than cooking dinner
    quote of the century
    Sorry... the server is too busy to fulfill your request. Please try again later.

My Cars
    1997 BMW 540iA & 1997 Chevy Silverado
    I see everyone saying to use synthetic. My 97 calls for 15w40 dino. Shouldn't the original poster's 98 take dino as well since it's pre-vanos? If that's the case, then your down in the $20 range for oil and filter.

My Cars
    T4R LTD 4WD
    Quote Originally Posted by frankthetank528
    thanks guys, i'll check out that oil extractor, and I think my brother may have some ramps.

PS Grimpy, how much is your car lowered and how did u lower it? Also why did u sell her?
    It was lowered on Ground Control coilovers with shorter front springs. Basically front was lowered to the max and rear had about 1/2" left before the bottom.

I sold her because I was going to start a new business but crap happened... Oh well... Now I have a 4Runner that I have lifted.

My Cars
    F15, F31
    Quote Originally Posted by GriMpY
    Now I have a 4Runner that I have lifted.
    hey GriMpY, how about sticking M5 badge to 4Runner's grill
    2015 F15 xDrive35i M-Sport, Mineral weiss on mokka Design Pure Excellence
    2015 F31 328i M-Sport, Mineral grau on black
    REFERENCES (from buying members): ///MM\\\, Dan, nicholsonsl, nicholsonsl, babygirl, e36Silvr328i, hc1001, tommelton, mish, diffsonline, betet, DMasters,icemann633, docjavier, Iron Chef, Dan, M3Jokster, e39dream, ///Manny, killcrap, verdugo135, TheRide, 318qship, hbmike, TimeOut, z0lt3c, MechEngr, Vortec4800, asdfbunk, brandon5069, hoyabob2003 (e39 mdf 6.5 speaker panels)
    SOLD! 97 E39 528iA, Alpine white on black, H&R, Hella, Alpine 9855 run active 3-way, 7" Dayton RS woofers, LPG 25NFA tweeters, Alpine typeR 12" 2005ed sub, ED NINe.1 sub amp, ED NINe.4 comp bi-amp, box 2.5cu.ft tuned to 30Hz CLICK HERE

My Cars
    E90, E34 (retired)
    Quote Originally Posted by snaybird1000
    It cost me $60 to change the oil and filter in my 540 by myself. The first time is hard. I didn't know where anything was. Lifting the car on jacks is scary as death. But, I guess it's worth it to learn yourself. Make sure to get Mobil One.
    damn, $60? costs me about $35 using mobil 1 and a new filter. how many quarts does a 540i need?

My Cars
    T4R LTD 4WD
    Quote Originally Posted by PENER
    hey GriMpY, how about sticking M5 badge to 4Runner's grill
    LOL!!!

But yeah, I think the oil extractor is a good idea since you wouldn't need to get under the car to get the filter...

Does the extractor gets all the junk out though?

My Cars
    tank
    Quote Originally Posted by GriMpY
    LOL!!!

Does the extractor gets all the junk out though?
    I heard pretty positive things about it

My Cars
    BMW, Chevy, Pontiac, Porsche
    extraction is slow. It's quicker and it's more through just getting under the car.

Oil change is a 15 minute process with drive up ramps.