Page 8 of 103 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617183358 ... LastLast

Thread: The OFFICIAL bogging, hesitating, no acceleration from idle thread

My Cars
    E36, WRX
    I'm gonna try an o2 sensor, I also think its running rich. It stinks after a hard drive, and I get about 230 miles to a tank

My Cars
    2013 M3, 1993 325is
    Quote Originally Posted by a32guy
    Mines getting worse....
    Pain in the ass, isn't it...

I'll let you guys know how the solenoid goes. With any luck, that will fix it. Just can't take it anymore.

Definitely doesn't happen when the engine is cold either, which has me thinking VANOS...

Dan
    Dan

My Cars
    2013 M3, 1993 325is
    Quote Originally Posted by a32guy
    I'm gonna try an o2 sensor, I also think its running rich. It stinks after a hard drive, and I get about 230 miles to a tank
    Yeah, mine stinks like that after I beat 'er too! I was wondering if that might be the cats, but I don't really know what bad cats smell like, other than "rotten eggs" which is hard to place for me.

I only get 17mpg according to OBC, but it doesn't even seem like that much.

Wish these things had OBD2 so I could hook up the scanner and see what the deal is.

Dan
    Dan

My Cars
    TSX
    guys,

i really havent been readin too much of this thread and i know its been going on for a while.

I had this problem a while back. I think the best thing u can do is as you're driving and the problem gets really bad, (like you cant get passed that 3-4k rpm mark) pull over, pop the hood, and play with a couple of sensors (shake them unplug/replug them). THen get back in the car and drive away. See if the problem guys away temporarily.

If the problem goes away temporarlily then u can slowly find out which sensor is the problematic one. For me it was the crank sensor.

If none of this helps then, all i can say is, at least you know its now a sensor.

goodluck, i know how bad the feel of this can be. Its not coolat all

mike

My Cars
    325is, 95 M3
    Ok so i finally did the solenoid switch today and it seems like it helped a little in the low end torque. However if i press the gas hard off a start the car still hesistates to the pt where i wanna cry. Seems like the car isnt registering the amount of air coming in and therefore doesnt inject the needed amount of fuel. Things done so far include new icv, fuel filter, cleaned maf, and vanos solenoid switch

My Cars
    E36, WRX
    Also, its almost like my ignition timing is VERY retarded. When I was 16 I was learning about ignition timing. I had an 8v golf that was pinging, so I tried retarding the timing. Well i ended up retarding it a bit too much and the revs went up REAL slow just like my e36 is doing.

Its almost like the timing is retarded until 3k then kicks to normal (sometimes).

It has to be some type of sensor. Grrr Bosch > Me.

My Cars
    92 325i
    i found the thread and its really long (like 8 pages) maybe you can fill me in on some things.

first of all the problem with my is that yes it hesitates from idle, but it does it sometimes when i start of in 2nd. it will backfire on me ( out the intake) and my whole car dives forward like there is no gas there. i have also noticed my plugs are white tipped which means my car is running lean.

heres a list of parts i have changed and tested to be ok on my car.
    o2 sensor-new
    catalytic converters - new
    mass airflow
    valve cover gasket - new
    pulg connector boots - new
    fuel filter - new
    fuel pump
    and of course plugs

i think that my problem is a fuel delivery problem not an electrical. because sensors would show up on a reader.

My Cars
    s50 e36
    Had the same problem a month ago. Changed the spark plugs and it went away. Still feel slight hesitation but i think its the cats.

My Cars
    searching for a new one
    Quote Originally Posted by flip213
    i found the thread and its really long (like 8 pages) maybe you can fill me in on some things.

first of all the problem with my is that yes it hesitates from idle, but it does it sometimes when i start of in 2nd. it will backfire on me ( out the intake) and my whole car dives forward like there is no gas there. i have also noticed my plugs are white tipped which means my car is running lean.

heres a list of parts i have changed and tested to be ok on my car.
    o2 sensor-new
    catalytic converters - new
    mass airflow
    valve cover gasket - new
    pulg connector boots - new
    fuel filter - new
    fuel pump
    and of course plugs

i think that my problem is a fuel delivery problem not an electrical. because sensors would show up on a reader.
    Try a fuel service? Motorvac?

My Cars
    92 325i
    whats a motorvac? and by fuel sevice do you mean the injectors getting them cleaned?
    yeah i think im going to do that next because i know the guy that had the car before never changed the spark plugs, he did the regular oil changes thats about it. i also think he used regular gas too.
    Last edited by flip213; 01-21-2006 at 11:28 AM.

My Cars
    '02 330i, '07 SV650N
    Ok...geez, I get to join the not-so-exclusive bogging club as well. The one thing that I didn't see mentioned here, that I'd like to ask is this: It only does it for me at greater than ~50% throttle. If I accelerate a little more smoothly, it seems just fine. Or, for example, I put it in 4th at a fairly low speed, so the engine is turning at about 1.5k, and if then give it a healthy amount of throttle, the car bucks like a 16 year old trying to learn to drive manual. If I keep the throttle load light, it goes just fine. Also, the bogging cutoff for me seems to be at 2k rpms instead of 2.5-3k. Does this still sound like the same problem you guys are all having, or something different? TIA

My Cars
    E36, WRX
    Sounds like your problem is more like Dan's problem. I never have a bucking or misfiring problem. The motor will run perfectly smooth, just no power output.

My Cars
    '02 330i, '07 SV650N
    Doh...I know who Dan is...re-reading thread now.

So, he never found a solution then. Should I worry about harming the engine? I mean, if I just drive nice, it should be ok, right? ...right?
    Last edited by Spood; 01-27-2006 at 07:45 PM.

My Cars
    '02 330i, '07 SV650N
    Ok, new input. I know valve cover gaskets have been discussed before, but I think that's the deal with mine. I pulled the spark plugs from cylinders 1 and 4 and they're completely covered in oil. Grr.

My Cars
    2013 M3, 1993 325is
    Quote Originally Posted by Spood
    Ok...geez, I get to join the not-so-exclusive bogging club as well. The one thing that I didn't see mentioned here, that I'd like to ask is this: It only does it for me at greater than ~50% throttle. If I accelerate a little more smoothly, it seems just fine. Or, for example, I put it in 4th at a fairly low speed, so the engine is turning at about 1.5k, and if then give it a healthy amount of throttle, the car bucks like a 16 year old trying to learn to drive manual. If I keep the throttle load light, it goes just fine. Also, the bogging cutoff for me seems to be at 2k rpms instead of 2.5-3k. Does this still sound like the same problem you guys are all having, or something different? TIA
    Hey Spood,

Still haven't found my problem, no. I'm going to try MAF, coils, and cats. Got to be one of them. If not, I'm stumped, off to the mechanic it goes.

My problem is exactly like yours. See my video here - same thing you're experiencing? Mine is also fine if I'm easy on the throttle.

Let me know if you have any ideas...

Dan
    Dan

My Cars
    '02 330i, '07 SV650N
    Quote Originally Posted by dmurray14
    Hey Spood,

Still haven't found my problem, no. I'm going to try MAF, coils, and cats. Got to be one of them. If not, I'm stumped, off to the mechanic it goes.

My problem is exactly like yours. See my video here - same thing you're experiencing? Mine is also fine if I'm easy on the throttle.

Let me know if you have any ideas...

Dan
    Dan-
    I dunno man, I think it's different. From the video, yours seems to just stutter just briefly under ~1k (hard to tell from video) and again at closer to ~3k. Mine bucks all crazy-like until 2-2.5k. What happens to you if you bog it on purpose in a high gear at low speed? If I can, I'll try to film mine as well to show you.

I'm gonna try the gasket thing, replace the plugs and see how she does. I might get lucky. I wish I had the background to give you a worthwhile suggestion or something.

My Cars
    2013 M3, 1993 325is

Red face

Dan-
    I dunno man, I think it's different. From the video, yours seems to just stutter just briefly under ~1k (hard to tell from video) and again at closer to ~3k. Mine bucks all crazy-like until 2-2.5k. What happens to you if you bog it on purpose in a high gear at low speed? If I can, I'll try to film mine as well to show you.

I'm gonna try the gasket thing, replace the plugs and see how she does. I might get lucky. I wish I had the background to give you a worthwhile suggestion or something.
    It must appear that way on the video...but in reality it hesitates and bucks like yours up to around 2 or so. If you go to the part of the video where it's outside - that is all from idle starting up. Its hard to hear it in the rest though. Definitely sounds like we have the same problem.

FYI - I had a leaky valve cover gasket as well...changed it and the plugs and it did nothing unfortunately...

Dan
    Dan

My Cars
    '02 330i, '07 SV650N
    Were your plugs covered in oil too?

My roommate suggested the head gasket, but we saw/smelled no evidence of burning coolant.

EDIT: I have an email out to my mechanic, I'll definitely be sure to pass on anything he suggests, although, if I remember right you've tried all the basic stuff - fuel filter, ICV cleaning, etc...
    Last edited by Spood; 01-28-2006 at 08:54 PM.

My Cars
    92 325i
    dmurry14 i think ur problem is a sensor. it sounded exactly like my passat when my O2 sensor went on that car.

My Cars
    2013 M3, 1993 325is
    Were your plugs covered in oil too?

My roommate suggested the head gasket, but we saw/smelled no evidence of burning coolant.

EDIT: I have an email out to my mechanic, I'll definitely be sure to pass on anything he suggests, although, if I remember right you've tried all the basic stuff - fuel filter, ICV cleaning, etc...

Yep, three of my six were covered in oil. I have cleaned the ICV, replaced O2, replaced VCG, replaced plugs, and replaced the coils (but with used ones, so I can't 100% rule this out, though it is unlikely I would get a set of bad ones again)

Dan
    Dan

My Cars
    '02 330i, '07 SV650N
    Quote Originally Posted by BimmerDIY
    If the plug is wet with oil, then that indicates that there is significant leakage into the combustion chamber past either the valve guides or the piston rings. This is generally a bad sign, and an indicator that a future compression test may not yield good results.
    Piston rings...valve guides...Hm...those don't sound like much fun either. I'll have to see if I can arrange a compression test in the near future.

My Cars
    2013 M3, 1993 325is
    Piston rings huh? Hm...that doesn't sound like much fun either.
    No, no...that's talking about the bottom half of the plug. Most likely, it's your VCG. They probably got wet when you were untwisting them...

Dan
    Dan

My Cars
    '02 330i, '07 SV650N
    Sorry, I'm probably getting on your nerves now.

I'm just sitting at home bored and grumpy and hoping that this resolves reasonably quickly...I don't have another car.

As far as my plugs, they looked like they'd been dropped in a bucket of oil.

My Cars
    2013 M3, 1993 325is
    Sorry, I'm probably getting on your nerves now.

I'm just sitting at home bored and grumpy and hoping that this resolves reasonably quickly...I don't have another car.

As far as my plugs, they looked like they'd been dropped in a bucket of oil.
    Not at all..I want to get this fixed as much as you do, I'm sure.

Did you see oil in the spark plug holes? If so, the -only- way it could have gotten in there is with a bad valve cover gasket. If ONLY the tips (below the threads) of the plugs are covered in oil, then you have another problem. If it's most of the plug, it's definitely the VCG.

Dan
    Dan

My Cars
    '02 330i, '07 SV650N
    Yeah, I did see a small puddle in cylinder 1. Definitely the whole plug is covered too.

I'll let you know how the gasket thing goes, and if I hear any suggestions of interest, I will be sure to pass them on.

Oh, btw...I'm Kevin. Nice to e-converse and troubleshoot with you.
    I really appreciate the input.

OT: In the video, was that an LCD screen I saw mounted in your dash?

Page 8 of 103 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617183358 ... LastLast