Thread: Tranny Problem gear 5 Ratio Incorrect Code P0735

My Cars
    BMW 328i

Tranny Problem gear 5 Ratio Incorrect Code P0735

Hoping someone may be able to Help! '99 E46 328i

Had a "warning" Gear with an exclamation! in the center of the gear come up next to the Digital (P,R,N,D) indicator on the dash.The tranny felt like it might be bogging down?
    I had to give alot of Gas Pedal to move forward.(I believe it may have been stuck in 5th gear)
    I turned to car off, waited a min, and then started the car, and the warning indicator was gone?

Drove the car and all seemed fine! I immediately took the car and had the transmission fluid flushed.( for all those wondering about the "lifetime fluid", it was really a nasty color black @ 125K miles) Car drove fine.

Anyway, a few days later the warning light appeared again and the tranny did the same thing, except this time the engine "check" light came on. I pulled a single code P0735 which appears to be a "Gear 5 ratio incorrect" ?

Does anybody know what this is?, and if so, any suggestions?
    Any help appreciated! durbanite@aol.com
    Thanks

My Cars
    11 328i Wagon M sport
    same year and model car and this problem is happening to me too.. it will come and go as it pleases anyone have any ideas on this?

My Cars
    E31
    afstud,

You bumped a 5yr old thread, lol

My Cars
    2004 ZHP 6MT
    Yeah...he did.....but the problem is happening to him, and at least he searched....

by Dane Wilson, on Flickr

My Cars
    03 330ci, 2001 740il
    Same thing is happening to me I will find out Mon or Tue can be anything from bad speed sensor to Trans taking a dump.

My Cars
    2004 ZHP 6MT
    Yeah...symptons seem as if car is going into limp mode...but the SES code is what worries me in the other guys case....as it has specifically identified a 5th gear issue.

by Dane Wilson, on Flickr

My Cars
    03 330ci, 2001 740il
    I also have had that code in the last few days, along with P0734, P1732, P0741. I'm doing everything I can to make sure it's not just sensors flaking out before I rebuild.
    Last edited by WOLF E38; 08-08-2010 at 11:30 AM.

My Cars
    1999 323I
    Same problem with my 1999 323I.. took it in for a scan...found wire going to the TCM was flooded with trans fluid. replaced wire(harness) and cleaned up connections...changed fluid all good...cost me $480 for the job...remember it can be low fluid, a sensor (speed sensor in the trans, or the harness taking the signal to the TCM...or your tranny is slipping....in my case my trans was operating and shifting all gears without a problem..it was going into limp mode at 50 mph.....go from easy to hard...try fluid, sensors, harness, then transmission last

Wondering if u have changed your MAF sensor lately???????...this could cause your trans to malfunction ....you may need to get you ECM reprogrammed for the new part (if you installed one.....
    Last edited by DanielR900; 11-15-2010 at 10:24 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    2001 BMW 330CI

Any updates?

Just Purchased a 2001 BMW 330CI.. drove for a bit .. got the engine code P0735... and that gear sign with the (!)... has anybody found a fix for this yet?

My Cars
    99 323 Sedan
    I got the cog of death on the way home from buying my son a 323i 3 weeks ago. I have not driven it since i have it tore down for a coolant system rebuild . I'm going to pull all the connectors off and spray with electronic cleaner and will replace the battery also to see if its a voltage malfunction.The tranny seemed to run fine the short time I drove it. Going to just top off the tranny fluid. It seems that if you change the fluid at higher miles you may do more damage than good and I'm not ready to roll the dice yet.

My Cars
    1999 bmw 328i
    Quote Originally Posted by Phils69 View Post
    I got the cog of death on the way home from buying my son a 323i 3 weeks ago. I have not driven it since i have it tore down for a coolant system rebuild . I'm going to pull all the connectors off and spray with electronic cleaner and will replace the battery also to see if its a voltage malfunction.The tranny seemed to run fine the short time I drove it. Going to just top off the tranny fluid. It seems that if you change the fluid at higher miles you may do more damage than good and I'm not ready to roll the dice yet.

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________________________________
    Hi this p0735 code you are getting with the (cog of death) is a simple problem. The reason this happens is due to cross leakage in the transmission valve body. The 5L40e transmission is the worst for this and will not go in to limp mode until the vehicle reaches over 65 mph. The most common reason for this is the
    FEED LIMIT VALVE in the valve body. There is hope! Your local transmission parts store can probably get you an aftermarket valve and sleeve for about $70 on the high end. You will have to use a reamer to ream out the bore. There is also another KIT you can get that has a reamer in it for about $160 I have fixed enough to know... I have seen this more on the 1999 328i e46.