Thread: Vibration/Buzzing AFTER hard braking

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3 Coupe

Vibration/Buzzing AFTER hard braking

Hello everyone

Today I had to come to a complete stop from 65 mph in a relatively short distance. I wouldn't say I had to slam the brakes. After the car came to a complete stop, I noticed that my pedals and steering wheel were buzzing, my engine was at 1k rpm (when it is usually just barely above 500 at idle), and it sounded like there was a muffled horn coming from my engine bay. This after a few seconds, the revs dropped to my typical 550 or so for idle. Something like this happened before, where I had to slam the brakes to avoid an accident, but there was only vibration in the wheel at around 2k rpm and no horn sound. I've searched around here and can only find posts about vibration during braking. General consensus is something with the rotors or ABS.

This occurred in a 1995 M3.

Thanks for your time.

My Cars
    1997 328i
    Your most likely hearing the ABS pump, it shouldn't be running after braking (a few seconds is fine), but if you hear it while braking hard then its just the pump doing its job.

You have an m3 so you should probably learn about the brake pedal travel sensor which is located next to the brake booster, the circuit board can come a part and can be fixed. You should just learn about it so you can check that your is ok.

- - - Updated - - -

Welcome to the forum!
    Attn. NEWBIES: Use the search feature, 98% has already been discussed.
    Click the search button, select "search single content type", select the "e36 sub forum" specifically, try the "search titles" then try the "search entire posts".

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3 Coupe
    Thank you Eric I appreciate it

My Cars
    1997 328i
    There's one other maintenance item you can do and that's clean all your abs sensors. Magnetic particles stick to them and will give a bad signal to the computer. There is a small Allen bolt securing them behind the hub, try to wiggle it out, if not some gentle twisting and pulling with pliers. Wipe them clean with a rag and wd40, you have one at each wheel.

In the future when you do your next brake job get coated rotors, this will help reduce the magnetic rusty particles from getting on the sensors.
    Attn. NEWBIES: Use the search feature, 98% has already been discussed.
    Click the search button, select "search single content type", select the "e36 sub forum" specifically, try the "search titles" then try the "search entire posts".

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3 Coupe
    Hi, I wanted to post that I figured out what it was. The power steering reservoir was low, and topping it off fixed it. Don't know the exact explanation why, if someone more knowledgable sees this theyll probably say why, but I have since ran new power steering lines and rebuilt the pump and it hasn't done it since.