Thread: WD-40 as a door handle/moulding rejuvenater?

My Cars
    1996 BMW 328i Sedan

WD-40 as a door handle/moulding rejuvenater?

I am pretty new to this whole working on my car thing. Actually, I'm pretty new to the whole trying to fix anything on my own thing, so apologies if this has been covered before, or common knowledge.

My car has worn door handles and door moulding/trim. Worn in the sense that the black is almost gray now (old plastic?). Anyway, I don't remember what prompted me to do this but a few days ago I sprayed a little wd-40 on a rag and wiped the door handle with it. To my surprize, the door handle cleaned up amazingly well; almost looked like new. I did all the door handles with similar results. Then I got a little carried away and did the same with the door mouldings, they came out amazing as well. What I liked most about the results was that it did not make the plastic all shiny and sticky, just clean plastic the way it should be. I did all the black exposed plastic trim around the car, including the bumpers and could not be happier with the results. It has been a few days and all the treated surfaces still look great. I kept an eye on it to make sure It wouldn't discolor or fade anything, and it didn't.

I thought about taking a break in between to show you guys before and after pics, but was too excited so I carried on sorry no pics. But everyone has wd-40 in the house, try it on a small, discreet part of the door or bumper trim and see if you like the results. Just thought I would share....and if this is common knowledge...meh, sue me.

My Cars
    2004 330 vert 2004 X5
    Lot of other ways to do this. WD-40 results won't last very long. Peanut butter works too but the best Ive found is either Back to Black or Forever Black. Ive used both and they last at least 6 months unless you're in the desert..

My Cars
    1996 BMW 328i Sedan
    I would be happy if it lasted more than a month. I know about the back to black and the other stuff specifically made for this purpose. I just posted this up because most people have wd-40 already and it only takes a few minutes to do the entire car. Its almost as much about the convenience as it is about the great results, for my lazy ass...That said, I don't think I want my car smelling like peanut butter. Wouldn't PB make it sticky and attract dirt?

It's just the oil in the peanut butter...Back to Black is the way to go

My Cars
    1998 BMW 323IS
    I have experimented with Tire Wet spray used on a rag and wiped on...works pretty well. I have heard a careful application of heat will do this ......but on a 15 year old car I am hesitant.
    A hundred years from now it will not matter what my bank account was, the sort of house I lived in, or the kind of car I drove. But the world may be different, because I was important in the life of a child.

for Zach, Everett, and Lilly

My Cars
    e36-328i, e30-325e
    forever black with the sponge applicator beats everything and its pretty permanent. I've washed the car 10plus times and no fade what so ever! (u can get it from 4-wheels-plus)