Thread: Sunroof drain holes

My Cars
    Turbo 97 E36 M3, 99 M3

Sunroof drain holes

Here is the problem....

Whenever I driver with the sunroof open, even when it hasn't rained for weeks, and I accelerate to around 80 mph or higher, I get a shower of random drops that comes out of the sunroof into the cabin....nothing put just a sprinkle. The thing I don't understand is why these drops haven't evaportated or drained with the rest of the water?

I want to check the drain holes and see why I keep getting water on me! How do I go about inspecting these?
    1997 Arctic Silver/Black M3
    CES Stage IV (651rwhp/615rwtq @ 24 psi)

1999 Techno Violet/Dove M3
    Auto/Convertible and staying stock!

My Cars
    95 318is
    put a long steel wire through the tube to clean it mayby...
    Currently:
    95 318is, 71k original km...

Sold:
    96 316i Compact
    95 M3 :'(
    87 190E 2.6
    95 C280
    82 240D
    89 735iL
    85 318i
    95 Opel Astra 1.4
    93 Lada Niva 1.6

My Cars
    Turbo 97 E36 M3, 99 M3
    more specific please....which tube? where?

My Cars
    Jetta
    Check my sig for the sunroof removal diy...it shows the drain tubes...hopefully none have come loose...that would be a nightmare.
    I would assume that the water would have drained or evaporated as well...you may have to get in there and try to diagnose the problem...good luck
    To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. ~ Thomas Paine
    You can safely assume you've created God in your own image when it turns out that God hates all the same people you do. — Anne Lamott
    Custom watch straps for sale

FOR SALE: watch straps!!

E36 DIY: My articles are now located in the E36 DIY page

My Cars
    E92 M3 Comp
    open the sunroof all the way. look down at the opening from outside the car, there are 4 drains, 1 in each corner of the sunroof opening. use compressed air or a long sowewhat thin flexible metal rod to get rid of any debris in the drains. be careful, you dont want to push the drain hose off and down into the a-pillar or 1/4 panel.

My Cars
    M3.
    Similar problem to yours.

Even if it hasnt rained for a few weeks, if I open the sunroof fully slid back then close it I notice water droplets a few only drop onto my head \ shoulder when I brake hard.

I didnt recall having this problem on my previous ride.
    Last edited by Frederick; 02-15-2007 at 08:43 AM.

My Cars
    E36
    i hate sunroofs
    I miss her, back in a BMW for the time being

My Cars
    M3.
    bump.

If the drain holes were plugged then I would suspect leak inside car? which there is not.

Did the original poster find a solution for this problem. Any ideas?

Well I just checked my 4 drain holes.

Used a jug of water on the front 2 and the it drained out all well . Tilted the sunroof ( my cars parked on an angled incline ) pouted some water in each rear corner and it drained out behind the rear wheels at edge of bumper.

Although after doing the last test when I closed the sunroof from its tilt position I noticed some water on the edge of the sunroof cassette lining. Maybe some of the water I poured in the left rear corner when it was in tilt caused this at it did all appear to drain from all 4 points properly.
    Last edited by Frederick; 02-15-2007 at 09:44 AM.

My Cars
    Turbo 97 E36 M3, 99 M3
    nope, I never figured it out. I just try and make sure my car doesn't see rain anymore and the sunroof stays closed until I completely dry the car.

My Cars
    M3.
    Quote Originally Posted by BMWManiac View Post
    nope, I never figured it out. I just try and make sure my car doesn't see rain anymore and the sunroof stays closed until I completely dry the car.

Well I forgot to mention, the sunroof seal where it joins in the rear side. Mine has a little gap EG its not fully mated. Perhaps this could be the reason why a little water is getting inside initially when the roof is closed.

My Cars
    #94 IP, '68 250SE '17 M3
    Pull the sunroof, clean out the pipes that run to all 4 corners. Then when you put it back on, use some zip ties to go around the rubber hoes, over the metal piping to help hold it in place.
    '94 325is #94 IP/GTS3 Mauritius Blue Metallic
    "And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna