Thread: How much MPG does a Dinan Supercharger get for an e36 M3?

My Cars
    e23, e28, e36

How much MPG does a Dinan Supercharger get for an e36 M3?

Dinan told me that it's roughly the same, but I'm not sure if I believe that. Can someone tell me first hand?

My Cars
    1996 Acura Integra GSR
    Quote Originally Posted by EazyM3
    Dinan told me that it's roughly the same, but I'm not sure if I believe that. Can someone tell me first hand?
    not sure how different super chargers are in comparison to turbo's when dealing with boost, but from my history of turbo hondas gas mileage never changed under normal driving conditions depending on how partial throttle was tuned. but when your floor it then things go down drastically in some cases. But i agree with Dinan for the most part that you wont notice a huge difference unless your driving hard

Chicago, IL, USA, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Local Gro
    My Cars
    2002 M3 carBONE Jager Bomb

i get about 12 mpg city & 20 on the hghwy

I can get up to 25 on hiway if I take it easy but tha's not as much fun!
    carBONE e46 M3

///3oris is offline "Diogenes the Cynic"
    My Cars
    '96 M3 Turbo, '04 Yamaha R6
    Quote Originally Posted by datboibrad
    not sure how different super chargers are in comparison to turbo's when dealing with boost, but from my history of turbo hondas gas mileage never changed under normal driving conditions depending on how partial throttle was tuned. but when your floor it then things go down drastically in some cases. But i agree with Dinan for the most part that you wont notice a huge difference unless your driving hard
    Yes, except with a turbo you don't have drag on the engine and you only use more gas when you make more power

You will see less MPG than your stock setup... depending on how heavy your foot is I'd say on average 2mpg. Not a big deal considering.... plus, gas is relatively cheap.

Boris
    '96 Cosmos Black M3 422rwhp/407rwtq SAE @ 13psi / 444rwhp/444rwtq SAE @ 14.5psi
    Engine/Drivetrain: Technique Tuning Stage 2 Turbo TT Turbo Exhaust, M50 Manifold, TMS Oil Baffles, SSR Comps, SPEC Stage II Clutch, UUC SSK, Titanium Cavallino Ti-130R Shift Knob, UUC TME, EMC Diff Bolt, RCCA's. Suspension: GC Coil-overs, GC RSMs, GC RTABs, GC Trans Mount; H&R SB. Instrumentation: VDO Boost, VDO Oil Press, VDO Oil Temp, VDO Water Temp, BMW Traffic Pro Navigation, Valentine One TODO: W/A Injection

My Cars
    04 330iZHP, 05 325iT
    My highway milage went from 25 to 23 MPG on the highway after my stock Dinan SC. However, you'll find a significant decrease in city milage due to larger injectors, aggressive tuning, and a heavier foot. It gets even worse when you upgrade hardware/software. I mean "worse" in a good way.
    Lars

My Cars
    03 m3
    my MPG went from 19 - 25 when i installed my AA S/C
    07 MDX | 08 m3

My Cars
    99 Estoril M3
    i get 18mpg city on my dinan sc...

My Cars
    Lucid AirGT, 97 M3 S54
    Quote Originally Posted by resisTm3
    I think I've averaged about 5 mpg since I got mine installed.. but that's more of a matter of me enjoying the turbo.

My Cars
    '98 M3/4, '98 318ti, '87 325
    Quote Originally Posted by ///3oris
    plus, gas is relatively cheap.

Boris

My Cars
    e34 BMW 535i
    Damn. im lucky to get 16 mpg on NA, although i am never under the speed limit. I used to own a taurus that got about the same gas milage averaging 70mph as my bimmer dose as 110 so to maintain my old budget i had to adjust my driving style a bit

My Cars
    The Bavarian Falcon
    I get about 12-15 in the city, with a lead foot and a lot of stop and go. Increasing boost and going with larger injectors didn't change the MPG enough to detect. I'm in the low to mid 20's on the highway.

I suppose I could pick up an easy 5 MPG if I altered my driving style, but giving up that fun isn't worth the $10-$20 a month it may save me in fuel.

Pre-SC with Euro HFM and 24# injectors I was getting 16-19 MPG on the same daily route.
    93 325is - total M3 conversion and more - Dinan SC kit - RMS aftercooler and tuning - 395rwhp on 91 octane.
    "....She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, kid. I've made a lot of special modifications myself." -Han Solo

CarDomain page

Chicago, IL, USA, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Local Gro
    My Cars
    2002 M3 carBONE Jager Bomb

Talking the heavy foot is a natural tendency as you aquire more power

I don't think anyone can resist that!
    carBONE e46 M3

My Cars
    S4, Supra, GVR4 - 5 turbos total
    Quote Originally Posted by resisTm3
    That is because you are incorrectly looking at the calculated MPG on your OBC.
    Once you put in larger injectors, your OBC will calculate grossly optimistic mpg.

The correct way to do this is to manually calculate your mpg by dividing your odometer count with the amount of gas you put in.
    Or you can buy a device to correct your OBC.
    -Luke

1994 6-speed Supra BPU+FMIC+aquamist
    1991 Galant VR-4 Turbo-AWD daily driver
    2002 Audi S4 Avant

My Cars
    '97 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by 99M3
    The correct way to do this is to manually calculate your mpg by dividing your odometer count with the amount of gas you put in.
    Or you can buy a device to correct your OBC.
    I was wondering about that as I'm getting ready to install my Vortech. Who makes such a device?
    Last edited by Steven Menk; 03-31-2005 at 02:42 PM.

My Cars
    03 m3
    Quote Originally Posted by ///3oris
    plus, gas is relatively cheap.
    i now pay 2.55 for 93 oct.
    07 MDX | 08 m3

My Cars
    '99 Alpine White M3
    Quote Originally Posted by Croak
    I get about 12-15 in the city, with a lead foot and a lot of stop and go. Increasing boost and going with larger injectors didn't change the MPG enough to detect. I'm in the low to mid 20's on the highway.

I suppose I could pick up an easy 5 MPG if I altered my driving style, but giving up that fun isn't worth the $10-$20 a month it may save me in fuel.

Pre-SC with Euro HFM and 24# injectors I was getting 16-19 MPG on the same daily route.

Exactly right. Those OBDII owners who think that gas mileage must go way down because of the supercharger, regardless of the way they drive, have to understand that around town, closed loop mandates the same afr regardless of injector size, and regardless of whether or not there is a supercharger present. The only way I can see mileage going down is near WOT, in open loop mode. There, the determining factor will be the software maps and resulting afrs.
    '11 AW 135i ; Sold: '99 White M3 81k mi; Dinan SC kit, 6"/3.48" sc pulleys, Aftercooler: 10.5 psi-367 SAE rwhp/304 rwftlbs @80 degrees ambient (still with OBDII manifold & stock cats); DynoTuning by Nick G (techniquetuning.com); Speed Shop: Imported Cars of Stamford; AA-Aquamist Water Injection, exhaust, clutch; Fikse FM-10s; Koni Suspension; Stealthboxes

http://s11.photobucket.com/albums/a173/boostm3/

My Cars
    97 M3 99 Z3M
    Paul, I disagree. Superchargers create drag on the system, thus eating more gas. The engine has to work harder to do the same amount of work. Same concept applies with air conditioning.
    1997 M3
    1999 Z3 M Coupe - Turbocharged

My Cars
    Mostly Run
    I'm just curious...and you knew someone had to ask at some point...but given how concerned you guys are with HP and your quest for it...why are you worrying about MPG of all things? That usually one of the last concerns of enthusiasts playing in the F/I realm...

My Cars
    The Bavarian Falcon
    Quote Originally Posted by ADVANT123
    Paul, I disagree. Superchargers create drag on the system, thus eating more gas. The engine has to work harder to do the same amount of work. Same concept applies with air conditioning.
    Soon as you start producing some positive manifold pressure, you start counteracting the parasitic losses. Now that I'm running a MAP sensor, I see myself getting positive pressure (~0.5-2psi) in low RPM/low load areas where my standard boost gauges showed no increase.
    93 325is - total M3 conversion and more - Dinan SC kit - RMS aftercooler and tuning - 395rwhp on 91 octane.
    "....She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, kid. I've made a lot of special modifications myself." -Han Solo

CarDomain page

My Cars
    '99 Alpine White M3
    Quote Originally Posted by Croak
    Soon as you start producing some positive manifold pressure, you start counteracting the parasitic losses. Now that I'm running a MAP sensor, I see myself getting positive pressure (~0.5-2psi) in low RPM/low load areas where my standard boost gauges showed no increase.

interesting point.. I suppose, then, if you so a LOT of in town driving, when youre spending much time not using the boost and therefore not making the positive mani boost you refer to, then, I would think the drag on the crank would have its biggest percentage effect, so perhaps, there, it would account for lower mileage.
    '11 AW 135i ; Sold: '99 White M3 81k mi; Dinan SC kit, 6"/3.48" sc pulleys, Aftercooler: 10.5 psi-367 SAE rwhp/304 rwftlbs @80 degrees ambient (still with OBDII manifold & stock cats); DynoTuning by Nick G (techniquetuning.com); Speed Shop: Imported Cars of Stamford; AA-Aquamist Water Injection, exhaust, clutch; Fikse FM-10s; Koni Suspension; Stealthboxes

http://s11.photobucket.com/albums/a173/boostm3/