RM European Auto Parts

Thread: Horn won't work -- not fuse

My Cars
    2011 Kia Optima SX

Horn won't work -- not fuse

Hey guys. My horn simply doesn't work at the moment... I checked both fuses associated with the horn according to the Bently manual and thats not it. What is the next thing I should be going after? Thanks.
    - Jacob Fuller

My Cars
    Many
    Test the horn by applying power with a jumper wire directly.
    Eliminate the variables.
    The next likely suspect though, and much easier to access would be the horn relay. (Well, it is easy to access on my car, not too familiar with your model, hopefully it is not buried under the dash.
    After those two items are proved the only other items to check would be, horn contact ring in the steering wheel, kinda dicey with the air bag though.
    Breaks in the wiring, (had a 5 series come into the shop a few weeks ago with rodent damage to the wiring, weird symptoms, had to do a hand trace of the wiring harness).
    Loose or corroded connectors.
    Let us know how you make out, andrew

My Cars
    2011 Kia Optima SX
    Thanks for the suggestions, I'll be trying to look into it this weekend when I can head to my parents house where I have plenty of access to tools.
    - Jacob Fuller

My Cars
    !988 BMW 530i
    is the car running?....i notice with mine that the car has to be on or the key in the "run" position for the horn to work

My Cars
    2011 Kia Optima SX
    Quote Originally Posted by Majik
    is the car running?....i notice with mine that the car has to be on or the key in the "run" position for the horn to work
    Yup, horn doesn't work in any key position car running or not.
    - Jacob Fuller

My Cars
    See Sig!
    Quote Originally Posted by Majik

That kind of pisses me off. What if your in a parking lot and your on your phone, or something, and the key is off, and then some lady is backing up going to hit you? It happened to me, but luckily the key was in the ACC position and the horn trumpeted STOP from its mega horn.
    1977 Ford Bronco -- 1983 DMC DeLorean -- 1990 BMW 325i
    1970 International Scout 300A -- 1980 Chevy Citation -- 1992 Ford F150 -- 2001 Dodge Ram 2500 -- 2008 Honda Shadow

My Cars
    '95 E36
    Is your "airbag off" light on? Mine was, and then my horn stopped working.

Had to replace a part inside my steering wheel or near, a circular thing that costed me around $150.
    '95 E36 318tdS:
    Bilstein Sport shocks; x-brace; H&R front sway bar; camber shims; M3 offset LCABs; Meyle HD LCAs; Z3 RSM reinforcement plates; ZHP shift knob.

My Cars
    2011 Kia Optima SX
    Thanks for all the help in this post guys, the horn is fixed!

I feel stupid since I went through all the trouble of taking the glove-box area apart to remove the horn relay and testing that... AND taking apart the steering wheel to look at the switch... AND taking out and testing both fuses... when in reality both horns were unhooked!

Come to find out the previous owner had a body kit which was removed... the guy who did the work must have failed to re-connect the horns. The only reason I did not check this first is that I really couldn't find them

But it's all good now! And I sure do feel kinda silly...
    - Jacob Fuller