Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Replacing Final Stage Blower Resistor pack

My Cars
    328ic

Resistor

Quote Originally Posted by DeeM3
    I don't remember. I think it would but if it doesn't then you need to change the other resistor the blower motor resistor here's an image of it,

Bimmerparts sells it for $32 + shipping. I have a spare one for $25 shipped.
    Great photo of the resistor. Where is it located / how do I replace it?

Thanks

My Cars
    2008 335i
    Awesome write up. Came in quite handy this week when my unit died.

Abe
    2008 335i 6sp
    *Sold*99 M3
    Cosmos V2, M50 'fold, 3.5" HFM, AA Software burnt by bimmerworld.com, S54 Radiator, Stromung, ZKW's, Prolumen 5k, X-brace, Koni SA's, GC RTAB Shims, GC RSM, UUC Evo3 SSK w/DSSR, Fan & ASC delete

My Cars
    --
    Tonight on my way home I had my AC at full blast. Then it just stopped. The AC light was still on as was the recirculation light. But the blower doesnt work at any speed. Which part would this be?

My Cars
    --
    Guess it would help if i check my fuses first, blower motor fuse was toasted to a crisp on top.

My Cars
    2003 BMW Z4 3.0i
    Would this apply to a '93 520i? My fan is intermittent. All the lights on the control panel work fine, but when I turn on the fan, the fan doesn't come on. Sometimes it starts working when I turn the car back on, but the next time I turn the car off it will stay off next time I start the car. When it blows air, it's at the setting I have the knob set at(the pressure doesn't fluctuate), if that helps narrow down the problem part. Thanks.

My Cars
    '99 ///M3

Best DIY ever!

I had all these symptoms and more:

Fan worked fine most of the time, then it would suddenly drop back to about half speed

Sometimes the fan would just stop for a while, and then work again

When it was working ok, it would be noisy on HIGH (Like it was vibrating)

One day last week, the fan just stoped. I was sure it was the fan. I read this write up, along with others, and figured I would try this, since it's easier to get to than the fan, and a common problem. It's been hot, and I have had ZERO fan for a week. I was kinda hoping it would just start working again...

I said screw it, and ordered the part:
    My Final Stage Unit arrived today - 10 minutes later, I have full fan! It works perfect. Climate contol works great as does the auto setting. I plugged in the unit (capacitor) thinking, "no way"... I was under the dash and reached up, turned the key and !!!!!! yaaa hoooo -

If you have fan issues: <b>Do this first!!!</b> My fan is smoother and I would have wasted $200 plus about 4 hours changing out the fan, only to find the fan still didn't work. Then I would screw with it, trying to test it connected to a battery charger and blow up a perfectly good fan!

If you have a fan problem - DO THIS..

Moral of the story? Do I have to say it?

<b>If you have a fan problem - DO THIS..</b>

Only thing I would add is that the unit is mounted into the housing sideways. You really have to completly remove the down draft to see it. It goes in sideways, but it can be accessed if you follow these instuctions.

THANKS FOR THE GREAT DIY!!!!!

PS - the answer to the last two post before this one is "YES" it is this part, and it is applicable on the 5er (5 uses a different part number - Call your supplier and ask for the "Blower Motor Final Stage Unit"
    Last edited by MauiM3Mania; 05-24-2010 at 05:18 PM. Reason: profanity

My Cars
    98 E36 328i / 91 E30 318is
    GREAT Write Up!!!

My car's climate control would just go to full blast on the fan speed when I turned it out. Temp controls still worked, but fan speed was all messed up. I'm sure a trip to a repair shop would have resulted in a new CC unit costing me well over $400+.

A quick and simple replacement of my final stage blower fixed my problem. Its been working great for months now. THANKS!

My Cars
    04 SilberGrau M3
    Nice write-up! I thought the capacitor fix would take care of this, needless to say it did not. My symptoms are identicall, ordering resistor tomorrow!

My Cars
    99 M3
    Yeah, this is a great DIY writeup!! I just did mine this weekend and everything works perfectly now.

One thing I will add is that the duct you have to remove can be a real bitch to get back on. Only because you can't see the opening where it snaps back in very well. Other than that everything went pretty much as stated in the writeup.

Thanks DeeM3!!!

*UUC Stage 2 LW FW*Sachs Power Clutch*UUC EVO3 SSK*UUC Black TME's*
    *SuperSprint Exhaust w/DTM Tips*Conforti CAI*Moda 18" R6 Wheels*
    *Ground Control C/O's*X-brace*

My Cars
    Wicked White Evolution X
    Glad i could be of help sideroxylon. It's almost hard to believe how many people actually benefit from a DIY I almost didn't do.

My Cars
    1999 Red M3 Coupe 2002 Land Rover Freelander
    Glad i could be of help sideroxylon. It's almost hard to believe how many people actually benefit from a DIY I almost didn't do.
    Thanks for doing it! I'm having the exact same thing happening and I actually spent an afternoon pulling the fan out only to find that it works perfectly w/ direct power. Now I know what the problem is and I'm going to get a new FSU ASAP. Thanks again!
    1999 E36 M3 Coupe - Red / Black Leather

Painted BSMs, ZKW Headlights w/ Angel Eyes, 15% Tint, Aluminum Pedals, K&N CAI, Borla Cat-Back Exhaust, Clears All 'Round, 18" M5 Replicas w/ Kumho Supra Ecsta 712 225/40-18 Front & 255/35-18 Rear, Factory H/K Audio System, Heated Seats, Umnitza Sunroof Eclipse, and a partridge in a pear tree...

I had the exact same symptoms described on my '98 M3, the AC blower just quit working, all controls/lights seem to be responding the way they should. So I decided to follow this DIY, everything went as instructed, unfortunately, it did not fix the problem, the blower still won't run even with the new FSU. I've checked the fuses that correspond to AC on the lid (I believe there were 4) and they seem to be in proper order. Anyone have any suggestions on what to do/check next?
    Last edited by T///Mac; 11-14-2005 at 09:06 PM.

My Cars
    Wicked White Evolution X
    T ///Mac try pulling out your blower unit and check to see if it's still working.

My Cars
    328is

awesome

thanks f

My Cars
    328is

awesome

thanks for

My Cars
    328is

awesome

thanks for the

My Cars
    328is
    wow, something went haywire when i was trying to reply.. anyhow i just wanted to say thanks for the original post as it fixed the issue I was having and saved me $175 over the quote I got to have it done.

great post...

My Cars
    325i '93
    thx guys

My Cars
    325i '93
    I am somewhat confused now, I read most threads and it seems that my the final stage unit is for automatic ac or heater and the motor resistor is for the ones who has the knobs,
    i have the same problem ac and heat just work on level 4, so i order the part in picture #2 here in this thread, now picute #1 do i need that part too, the final stage unit?

My Cars
    98 E36 328i / 91 E30 318is
    Qwfx - I don't quite understand what you're saying. Picture #2 just shows a screw placement, did you mean pic #1, the metal looking object with the "spikes?" Part #64.11.6.929.540.

Cars with digital climate control have the final stage unit. Cars with rotary-knob climate control have the blower motor resistor pack.

If so, you do not need to purchase any additional parts.. Follow the instructions on post #1 to replace the final stage blower resistor pack. If it works, you're done!! If not, you may need to do this:
    http://www.macadamizer.com/bmwfix.html

My Cars
    04 blazer02 cavalier
    Thanks for this very helpful post! My son's 96 318i had problems with both the capacitor and the final stage unit. Had no idea where or how to replace this thing as I have never dealt with BMW's. Car works fine now!

My Cars
    1996 m3
    I don't remember. I think it would but if it doesn't then you need to change the other resistor the blower motor resistor here's an image of it,

Bimmerparts sells it for $32 + shipping. I have a spare one for $25 shipped.
    is there a writeup on how to install this? thanks

My Cars
    325i
    Well I have a 94 325i, the blower only works on the highest setting I think it is the blower resistor, is there a write up for this?

My Cars
    2009 135i, Triumph 675
    Just a heads up... Don't buy this from the dealer... Local one charged me 150$ (roughly) for one... Bavauto has it for 70....

Yah... and then it didn't even fix my problem... My blower motor had died... the bastid... 380$ later and a lot of blood, sweat and swearing, my A/C works again.
    The Cars:
    2009 BMW 135i
    2013 Subaru BRZ Ltd - Fun, but wanted more, so traded in on (above)
    2008 Mazda RX-8 - Meh, Traded in on (above)
    1998 BMW M3 - RIP.. Murdered - Suspect got away.
    1984 Pontiac Indy Fiero - 4spd, 66k miles - Gone.
    1999 Toyota Solara - 100k? v6, 5spd - Totalled by LVPD, Thanks guys!

The Bike:
    2008 Triumph Street Triple

My Cars
    M3
    bump to a never-ending-thread

Does anyone know the difference between the listed "new" and "old" units?

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast