Thread: How Do You Tighten The e-brake?

My Cars
    Avus Blue M3

How Do You Tighten The e-brake?

Can anyone tell me how I can tighten my e-brake? It's loose as a goose.

TIA
    blahosidfnsd

My Cars
    http://www.pelicanparts.com/bmw/tech...Adjustment.htm

Its not as easy as it sounds. Sometimes you can just tighten up the bolts and it'll work but it didnt for me and just made the problem worse. Im still driving with a barely functioning ebrake.

My Cars
    1997 ///M3 Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by JClark
    http://www.pelicanparts.com/bmw/tech...Adjustment.htm

Its not as easy as it sounds. Sometimes you can just tighten up the bolts and it'll work but it didnt for me and just made the problem worse. Im still driving with a barely functioning ebrake.
    What are you talking about? This is as easy as it gets... Just pull the rear wheels off and adjust to spec per the instructions. I just did this the other day when I replaced my rear brakes, and my e-brake feels like new.

My Cars
    Ok, let me try it again. Its not that easy with the hub/rotor still attached. Trying to squeeze your screwdriver through that tiny hole and adjust something you cant see. I didnt have time to spend on it, but I'm going for another try tomorrow.

My Cars
    328is, 330cic, 335i
    i wanst able to adjust the adjusting nuts on the handbrake in the inside. Do I loosen the small one??

My Cars
    1997 ///M3 Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by JClark
    Ok, let me try it again. Its not that easy with the hub/rotor still attached. Trying to squeeze your screwdriver through that tiny hole and adjust something you cant see. I didnt have time to spend on it, but I'm going for another try tomorrow.
    Well, you have to do it with the rotor attached, otherwise there is no way to establish a reference point for the adjustment. Just shine a flashlight in through the holes in the rotor and rotate it until you see the sprocket that adjusts the brake shoes. Then, adjust to spec. I admit it can be a bit awkward, but it really shouldn't take more than a few minutes if everything is working the way it's supposed to...

My Cars
    I just read the DIY again. The cog on mine didnt want to spin around so maybe I'll shoot some brake cleaner in there prior to adjusting. Anyone have any tips, or did everyone else's just turn easily?
    Last edited by JClark; 11-28-2004 at 08:30 PM.

My Cars
    1995 M3, 2001 Pathfinder
    I spent about an hour trying to find the adjustment screw and then I just gave up. I couldnt see squat.
    -Tim 1995 M3 Avus/black
    Conforti Euro Intake w/ TMS chip, Motorsport Brace, X Brace, Black UUC TME, V2 Splitters, DEPO's w/ DDE Plus & 6000K HIDs, Hardwired V1, UUC Twin Silencer exhaust, Eibach Pro Kit w/ Bilsteins, Speed Star SP1's in 18" by 8.5"
    WTB - 318 sedan
    http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...4#post16285694

My Cars
    Avus Blue M3
    Thanks for the info guys, I'll check it out.
    blahosidfnsd

My Cars
    92' 318is
    i did it earlier tonight..it was realy easy..but the fact remains its still a bit loose..when depressed the handle wiggles side to side, like theres nothing holding the handle there almost,, i think my pads are worn tho because i still roll if i dont give it a few extra clicks(and i got the squeak)..but it is very simple

My Cars
    92' 318is
    on the passenger side..i turned the sprocket down to tighten..and opposite on the driver side...
    the sprockets were located at about 2oclock on the drivers side..and about 10oclock on the passenger
    Bring a flashlight

My Cars
    97 M3 sedan black on black, 90 325i
    Easy fix, if the adjuster is so bad that it doesn't move, pull the rear disc, clean the hardware, replace anything that is bad, (if the shoes are down, this is a good time to repair/replace them), and use a little high temp grease inside the adjuster (it comes apart). Once you see them, you'll have no prob visualizing where they are to adjusting them. If the adjustment is way off, and you have acceses to a pair of drum calipers, you can measure the inside of the drum and transfer the measurement to the shoes while the drum is still off the hub. Adjust per Bentley, then you're done (should be 4 clicks on the e-brake handle and the car stops)

hth
    Tom --M3 SEDAN CLUB #55
    (TDWyatt)

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -Plato

My Cars
    92' 318is
    after you tighten the sproket so that the rotor no longer turns how much did you back it off?? ive seen a bunch of posts about this and diys but none of the me realy say for sure..not even in the bentley

My Cars
    1997 ///M3 Coupe
    Bentley says to back off 4 clicks--just use the screwdriver to push the sprocket back the other way about four times. That's what I did and it came out pretty much perfect.

My Cars
    '03 AW Dinan M5
    I would recommend removing the rear rotors to see how the assembly works.

You will have a much easier time adjusting the "starfish" thing after you can visualize what you're dealing with.

good luck.

'03 ///M5

My Cars
    M3
    just got a new e brake kit... buddy is gonna show me how to righten and install the ebrake pads... (or something like that)

i will report here after we finish.
    -Tom
    95 Dakar M3
    Euro HFM / 3.5" PAR Intake/24# Injectors / Jim C chip / UUC DTM Exhaust / Bilstein Struts/Shocks / Eibach Springs / 18" BBS RC Polished / Fan Delete / Stygar Short Shift Kit / Euro corners/tails / AC Schnitzer Carbon Fiber Trim / AC Schnitzer Carbon Fiber rear roof spoiler / Alpine CDA-7878, MB Quarts all around / JL 10w7.

My Cars
    SOOPA FAZ AWTOW
    hmm...my bentley said 8 clicks. Of course, mine is now loose as hell. I'm going to fix it by turning them in 4 each.

Larry
    - 98 Titanium Silver M3 Coupe

My Cars
    B7 Audi & Yamaha R6
    Hmm, with that write-up, it sure makes it a lot more clear. I tried to do this a while back but then just tightened the ebrake handle and it worked.

Is it absolutely necessary to tighten the sprocket at the rear wheels? Or can I just tighten it using just the ebrake, bolts, and cable in the cockpit?

2005 Audi (Purchased 07/09) - 2005 Yamaha R6 (Raven) (Purchased 5/06)
    07/97 BMW (Sold 08/09) - 03/01 Audi A4 1.8TMCX (Sold 06/03)

Please do NOT PM me! Email me: clumpymold@sbcglobal.net

My Cars
    2011 BMW X5d
    Can I tighten the sprockets near the rear-rotors having only one rear wheel off the ground at once? I only have some POS jack that will only lift one corner of the car. Can I lift one side, tighten sprocket, lower that side....then....lift other side, tighten sprocket, lower that side? Or does the whole rear end need to be up simultaneously?
    work --> radiator hoses, coolant flush, lisence plate delete, rear-headrest delete, MOMO Sphere shift knob, Mobil 1 0W40 @ 113249/119500/124700, air filter @ 119500, Cosmos CAI w/ K&N Filter @ 124400, front brake rotors/pads/calipers, brake fluid flush, M-Technic rear diffuser, deep interior clean (removed seats & Leatheriqued) @ 118k, Panasonic CD player...

My Cars
    Jetta
    How would you do this if you have a stud kit installed?
    To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. ~ Thomas Paine
    You can safely assume you've created God in your own image when it turns out that God hates all the same people you do. — Anne Lamott
    Custom watch straps for sale

FOR SALE: watch straps!!

E36 DIY: My articles are now located in the E36 DIY page

My Cars
    97 M3 sedan black on black, 90 325i
    Quote Originally Posted by old skool View Post
    How would you do this if you have a stud kit installed?
    Either remove the stud (hmmm... ) or work at it from the outside of the huib, you may want to clamp some sort of stop to work against for leverage if working from the outside.

BTW. of upi re[;ace the pads or remove the disc, might as well sand down the slick layer (usualy from rust and brake dust, it forms a slick layer inside the drum) that forms on the inside of the Ebrake drum, it will work much better when you do.
    Tom --M3 SEDAN CLUB #55
    (TDWyatt)

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -Plato