Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Symptoms of a bad flywheel?

My Cars
    B7 Audi & Yamaha R6

Symptoms of a bad flywheel?

Hey all,

I'm about to swap out my clutch for a new OEM one (after I get my car out of the shop). I already have the clutch kit but I'm wondering, since the mechanic will be in that area, should I also replace my flywheel?

My car has about 84k miles and I believe the clutch is the original clutch. I'm assuming the flywheel is also original. Some questions that come to mind:

How long does the stock flywheel last?

What are some symptoms of a bad flywheel?

Is it a good idea to change to a lightweight flywheel with stock clutch?

How much does a stock flywheel cost (or should I get a used one)?

I don't plan to do anything major to my engine anytime soon so I'm not sure if I would need a lightweight flywheel. Are they even noticeable?

Anyway, thanks you guys/gals!

Curtis

clumpymold@sbcglobal.net

2005 Audi (Purchased 07/09) - 2005 Yamaha R6 (Raven) (Purchased 5/06)
    07/97 BMW (Sold 08/09) - 03/01 Audi A4 1.8TMCX (Sold 06/03)

Please do NOT PM me! Email me: clumpymold@sbcglobal.net

My Cars
    2012 Tacoma
    I would imagine you can get a stock flywheel real cheap. Buy mine in about a month.

Is divorce in the air? Get the list and follow it!
    http://forum.dadsdivorce.com/viewtopic.php?t=13374

My Cars
    '99 M3
    my bad stock flywheel made rumbling noises at most conditions, but especially under power and changing throttle position. i chose to replace with a lightweight flywheel because they can be had for much cheaper than a *new* stock flywheel. you can probably find used stock flywheels for relatively cheap...

the ltw flywheel was a noticeable, though minor improvement for me. i kept the stock clutch and bought the mpd flywheel...
    Dan

'99 BMW M3
    '04 Toyota Tacoma

'79 Volvo 242 GT [sold]
    '79 Volvo 242 GT [sold]
    '03 Kawasaki ZX-6R [sold]

My Cars
    B7 Audi & Yamaha R6
    Quote Originally Posted by krisko
    I would imagine you can get a stock flywheel real cheap. Buy mine in about a month.
    How much? And any idea what would happen if I didn't replace it? Why are you replacing yours?

My Cars
    2012 Tacoma
    Quote Originally Posted by clumpymold
    How much? And any idea what would happen if I didn't replace it? Why are you replacing yours?
    I'm just messing with ya man, my flywheel has over 100K miles on it. My engine is coming out so I figure it's a good time for a new clutch and ltw flywheel.

Is divorce in the air? Get the list and follow it!
    http://forum.dadsdivorce.com/viewtopic.php?t=13374

My Cars
    B7 Audi & Yamaha R6
    Quote Originally Posted by dshilkit
    my bad stock flywheel made rumbling noises at most conditions, but especially under power and changing throttle position. i chose to replace with a lightweight flywheel because they can be had for much cheaper than a *new* stock flywheel. you can probably find used stock flywheels for relatively cheap...

the ltw flywheel was a noticeable, though minor improvement for me. i kept the stock clutch and bought the mpd flywheel...
    Really? What's the MSRP on a new OEM flywheel versus the price you paid for the MPD one? Any link to where I can get that one?

If I can get a cheap flywheel, used, I may just do that. But only if it's necessary. I don't hear any "rumbling" noises though. Maybe I'm just paranoid?

My Cars
    328is, 330cic, 335i
    where ru having ur clutch installed and how much are they charging? Im in need of a new clutch.

My Cars
    B7 Audi & Yamaha R6
    Quote Originally Posted by amdspitfire
    where ru having ur clutch installed and how much are they charging? Im in need of a new clutch.
    Well, I usually do all the mods myself but this guy I found is really cheap and really good since he works primarily on BMWs. Anyway, he's charging me $250 for BOTH the clutch swap and rack & pinion/power steering unit swap, as well as hub replacement and passenger front seatbelt swap. I couldn't resist. I think I may even ask him to install my driver's side window motor.

My Cars
    E36 M3
    Who is this really cheap BMW guy that u goto. I want to change my tranny fluid but am too lazy to jack up my car rite now. It would be perfect if he had a lift and just charged me like $15.

My Cars
    '97 M3/4/5
    Sometimes you'll have clutch chatter if the clutch or flywheel is glazed.

I don't know what M3 flywheels are made out of but you might be able to just have it resurfaced.

FYI
    Can I install both a lightened flywheel and an underdrive pulley?
    A. No, the combination of a lightened flywheel and underdrive (also lighter) pulley will not be able to effectively dampen crankshaft vibrations. The
    increased vibration (and reduced ability to prevent a resonant frequency) will likely result in crankshaft fatigue and failure.

My Cars
    B7 Audi & Yamaha R6
    Quote Originally Posted by Andres

I don't know what M3 flywheels are made out of but you might be able to just have it resurfaced.

FYI
    Ahh, I see. I heard you can't have the surface of the flywheel resurfaced.

How noticeable is this clutch chatter? When does it normally happen (i.e., after how many miles)?

Oh, as for your quote in your sig, it's not the same thing as having an underdrive accessory kit, is it? I have that but not an underdrive crank pulley though.

Any idea on the cost difference between a lightweight flywheel and a stock OEM one?

My Cars
    B7 Audi & Yamaha R6
    Quote Originally Posted by Estoril4dr
    Who is this really cheap BMW guy that u goto. I want to change my tranny fluid but am too lazy to jack up my car rite now. It would be perfect if he had a lift and just charged me like $15.
    MB Auto. Send me an email and I'll send you the information: clumpymold@sbcglobal.net

He helped me with my differential fluid and charged me $150 for also installing my underdrive pulleys, fixing my tranny mounts (stripped bolt) and some other small stuff. He even let me sit right next to the car. I could have just stood there the whole time while he watched.

Only downfall is that he doesn't speak English very well. Only Mandarin and Shanghainese.

My Cars
    E36 M3
    Cool i can speak some mandarine. I just need my tranny fluid changed and tranny mounts torqued to spec. My lightweight flywheel chatter is killing me, thus changing my tranny fluid.
    Whats the address to MB Auto.

My Cars
    B7 Audi & Yamaha R6
    Quote Originally Posted by Estoril4dr
    Cool i can speak some mandarine. I just need my tranny fluid changed and tranny mounts torqued to spec. My lightweight flywheel chatter is killing me, thus changing my tranny fluid.
    Whats the address to MB Auto.
    Wow, never even realized you replied. Sorry but I don't have the address to it. I just know it's on Stingle, East of Walnut Grove and Muscatel on Garvey. The number's:

626-572-3266

Hope that helps.

Any other ideas on this? I've been on another thread and am contemplating either a lightweight flywheel (while I'm doing my clutch) or just to keep my stock flyweehl. Not sure yet. I'll be keeping my stock clutch though (replacing it with OEM).

My Cars
    B7 Audi & Yamaha R6
    Quote Originally Posted by Andres

FYI
    Oh, and I don't think you can. Something about it being dual mass.

My Cars
    Audi RS4. BMW S1000RR.
    you cant resurface a stock dual mass flywheel. it will crack later on. (or so i hear)

with 84k on your car your stock flywheel is fine. your not going to see any problems with reusing it.

remember the first time you drove your car after doing to ssk? i bet you went damn how did it take me so long to do this mod? would you ever want to go back to stock shifter again?

that is the kind of mod the LTW flywheel is once you drive with it youll wonder why you didnt do it earlier and would never want to go back to stock. im sure almost every owner of a ltw flywheel would agree with me.

yes you cant use Ltw fly and crank pulley together but you can use LTw fly and underdrive accessorie pullies together.

give uuc a call and tell them your intrested in one of the returned flywheel assemblies. i think they put a new friction surface and give you new hardware but it costs around $300 instead of $450.

My Cars
    Audi RS4. BMW S1000RR.
    FYI- 01 stock oem dual mass flywheel p/n 21212227820 $570.00

My Cars
    B7 Audi & Yamaha R6
    Quote Originally Posted by Serious
    you cant resurface a stock dual mass flywheel. it will crack later on. (or so i hear)

with 84k on your car your stock flywheel is fine. your not going to see any problems with reusing it.

remember the first time you drove your car after doing to ssk? i bet you went damn how did it take me so long to do this mod? would you ever want to go back to stock shifter again?

that is the kind of mod the LTW flywheel is once you drive with it youll wonder why you didnt do it earlier and would never want to go back to stock. im sure almost every owner of a ltw flywheel would agree with me.

yes you cant use Ltw fly and crank pulley together but you can use LTw fly and underdrive accessorie pullies together.

give uuc a call and tell them your intrested in one of the returned flywheel assemblies. i think they put a new friction surface and give you new hardware but it costs around $300 instead of $450.
    Sweet. Yeah, I already sent him an email about that. I'll see what he says. I'm a little skeptical about spending $500+ on a flywheel. Not that I don't think it's a good deal or not, but $500 on a mod that's not "necessary" on my car is too much at this point in my life. Maybe $300-400?

So my flywheel is fine? How long do they normally last? If I can find a cheap LTW flywheel, I'll get it. Otherwise, I'll wait. Thanks for all the advice!

As far as that part number, I couldn't find it here:

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/

My Cars
    B7 Audi & Yamaha R6
    Oh, and is it necessary to get a new stage 2 clutch or something with a flywheel? Can I just use the stock OEM clutch kit I already purchased? What flywheel do you have again and what do you recommend?

My Cars
    Audi RS4. BMW S1000RR.
    stg 1 flywheel is made for m3 clutch

stg 2 flywheel is made for e34 m5 clutch

both with the clutch combo weight the same as the e34 m5 clutch weight a few lbs. more than the e36 m3 clutch.

***this is for uuc products, its was the only flywheel i researched, i dont know about other companies and their approaches or products***

My Cars
    B7 Audi & Yamaha R6
    Quote Originally Posted by Serious
    stg 1 flywheel is made for m3 clutch

stg 2 flywheel is made for e34 m5 clutch

both with the clutch combo weight the same as the e34 m5 clutch weight a few lbs. more than the e36 m3 clutch.

***this is for uuc products, its was the only flywheel i researched, i dont know about other companies and their approaches or products***
    I see. Yeah, I think I remember seeing that on their site (UUC).

What do you mean by this statement:

That's a little confusing. I'm assuming you mean that both setups (stage 1 and stage 2) weigh the same. The M5 clutch weighs more than the M3 one. But the stage 2 clutch weighs LESS than the stage 1 one.

My Cars
    Audi RS4. BMW S1000RR.
    ya i was kinda scratching my head after reading that too...LOL.

ya when the flywheel and clutch are paired together. stg. 1 and stg. 2 supposedly weigh the same amount.

the e34 m5 clutch and PP are 2-3 lbs heavier than the e36 m3 clutch and PP.

My Cars
    E36 M3
    Curtis,
    You can come try out my LTW flywheel if you like. I have the stageII with e34 clutch. I like the fact that the clutch pedal is really light, but don't like the gear box rattle. Overall, if I was to do it again... I'd probably go with the crank pulley.

My Cars
    1997 ///M3 Coupe
    You should be perfectly fine with the same flywheel. No need to replace or resurface at 84k miles, unless you abused it somehow. Upgrades are always nice, but don't break the bank over it--it's totally optional.

I would not under any circumstances buy a new stock dual-mass flywheel with your mileage.

Rob Levinson is offline Member BMW E36 M3 Expert
    BMW Tech Expert
    BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    BMW and Mercedes
    Quote Originally Posted by clumpymold
    I see. Yeah, I think I remember seeing that on their site (UUC).

What do you mean by this statement:

That's a little confusing. I'm assuming you mean that both setups (stage 1 and stage 2) weigh the same. The M5 clutch weighs more than the M3 one. But the stage 2 clutch weighs LESS than the stage 1 one.

When considering flywheel weight, you're really considering the mass of the entire assembly because the pressure plate is bolted directly to the flywheel. Usually, people don't look at the PP weight because they're comparing flywheel designs that use the same PP.

With the UUC Stage 1, you use the standard M3 clutch assembly.

With the UUC Stage 2, you use the E34 M5 clutch assembly.

The M5 PP weighs more than the M3 PP. We reduce the weight of the Stage 2 flywheel to compensate for this weight delta. The net result is that the two complete setups weigh approximately the same as each other.
    ----------
    NOT with that company any more.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast