Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Clint's IE install tips.

My Cars
    E36/8, K12R, E91

Lightbulb Clint's IE install tips.

1) You DO NOT have to remove the driveshaft.

2) See number one.

3) Supplemental to the already excellent writeup's on the topic. The order of the first and last part isn't crucial (sp) just do what makes sense, you'll get the idea.

-Rear on jackstands
    -Remove rear wheels
    -chock front tires
    drink beer and take a deep breath

-Disconnect:
    Lower rear Shock mount
    Swaybar endlinks
    4 Rear Exhaust hangers (2 per side)

-keep an eye on or remove rear springs
    -Suspend exhaust from existing exhaust hangers
    -It's not a bad idea to support the control arms w/ jackstands but you will need some movement in them
    -Remove 2 heat shield mounting cap nuts and work heat shield down <- Edit forgot why you had to do this
    -support rear subframe via diff w/ jack (not on the fins!)
    -remove diff cover to infamous subframe mounting bolt
    -remove front side of rear fender liners (two screws each)
    -remove rear subframe bushing support brackets
    -not a bad idea to remove the brake calipers if you have stock lines (my SS ones were long enough)

drink beer

-lower jack under diff w/ rear subframe you'll have to work the subframe bushings off the mounting pins one side at a time.

take another deep breath this part sucks

-Use bushing removal tool to remove one bushing you can only do one at a time and you have to fanangle the subframe far enough away from the mounting stud that you can get the top of the bushing removal tool on there.

yeahhhhhh

-place the smaller top IE bushing in the subframe where it belongs and manuver the 1/2 complete new setup back to the mounting stud.
    *go over to the other side and do the same there
    -now pick a side and put the bottom IE bushing part into the subframe and attempt to line it up with the mounting pin as close as possible. Just start it. Attempt to keep the subframe as square as possible while doing this by raising/adjusting the the jack slightly.

-"You can just squeeze it in by hand." <- Yeah. My a$$! Out of the three cars I've done this worked on one.

-Line up the grooves in the bushing w/ the divits in the subframe bushing cup and get it as far on as possible.

DISCLAIMER: those that abhor 'shady-tree wrenching techniques' avert your eyes below.

-Take a socket (I used a 17mm deepwell impact socket) and place it on the metal center part of the bottom IE bushing. (that last part is key) While maintaining the rear subframe as square on the subframe mounting pin (that is inside the bushing) as possible. Take another Jack and place it on the bottom of the afore mentioned socket and SLOWLY jack the bushing a)fully into position and b) onto the bushing mounting pin

-remove the jack and duplicate on the other side of the car.
    -torque everything to specs (i use 'Tight' on stuff not driveline related)
    -didn't remove the drive shaft did you?
    -drink beer the hard stuff is done
    -raise the subframe and re-install everything in a logically reversed order begining w/ the bushing mounting hardware and the diff cover mount and ending w/ the brake calipers if you removed them

You need 2 good jacks, 2 jackstand (four is better) time and beer. (trust me)

For those that said this is a half a$$ed writeup - Your right.

I just finished my 4th 12 hour work day but I wanted to let you guy's know what I found out. So there. I may have forgotten something but from memory I think that this covers about everything.

Peace,
    Clint
    Last edited by clintjg; 02-19-2007 at 01:39 PM.
    2002 Alpine White w/ Black 368 (<OO \(||][||)/ OO>)
    Power: Custom Exhaust w/ High Flow cats, CSL headers, built, low-compression Supercharged and aftercooled S-54, ViPEC standalone ECU, Vortech V2 Si trim
    Driveline: Euro 6 speed, 3.64 diff w/ 40% Lockup, Rogue Octane SSK, UUC Red TME kit, UUC Stage 3 LTW Flywheel/M5 Clutch, SS Shift Knob
    Suspension & Brakes: TC Kline True Match Coilovers 500f/500r w/ adjustable camber plates, Racing Dynamics sways, Custom front sway endlinks, ATE fluid, UUC/Willwood BBK 6 piston f - 4 piston r , Slotted E46M3 Rotors, Stainless Lines, Strong Strut, IE Subframe & adjustable rear trailing arm bushings
    ICE & Misc: Projector Z's w/DDE & 5k HID, 19'' Gold HRE C20's, Custom Aux pwr outlet, footwell lighting, ACS Splitters, Areo Sideskirts, Custom gauge pods, Z8 Start, Pioneer AVIC Z3, Clarus Components, 10" RE Sub in a Mister-X Enclosure, Alpine PDX 4X150 + 1X600 Amps
    Coming soon: and a visit to Randy Forbes

My Cars
    01 LSB 367M
    Kind of funny how "squeeze" and "ass" are on the same line. Good info... should be a sticky, err I mean parked.

My Cars
    02 M Coupe
    So you do not have to loosen any bolts on the driveshaft at all?

Sounds very doable and logical. Thanks for taking the time to write this up.

Florian
    2002 M Coupe
    Estorilblau
    368S/74

My Cars
    E36/8 S52 MCoupe, ITS E36 325is, E34 525/30iT

Question???

Why are you guys removing/disconnecting soooo much stuff???

Me and a buddy did mine last night...

Disconnect top diff mount...disconnect exhaust at mid-pipe (4 x copper 8mm nuts...replace with new later).

With subframe jacked undo mounts/cover plates and lower subframe.

Remove rear wheels...undo 2 lower screws on wheel well liners, fold out of way, and use wrench to remove subframe mount studs.

Use tool to remove bushings...install top bushing and stud...install lower bushing...replace bolt/cover...top diff mount...exhaust nuts x 4.

2.5 hours MAX...

Of course this was done on my lift!
    Mark in St. Louis

2000 MCoupe

motor: 12:1 fully built Metric Mechanic S52...Wisecos, Eagle rods, custom cams, LTW valvetrain, ported head, dBilas ITB's and custom tuning by NickG.

drivetrain: Custom steel LTW flywheel, M5 sachs sport clutch, Euro Evo 6spd, MM 3.73 diff...clutched and ramped.

suspension: TCK S/A 400/700, RD Sways, HIOP plates.

exhaust: HIOP headers, custom LTW 3" single exhaust.

misc: Revozport CF hood, powdercoated roadstars, alcantara steering wheel.

contact me for custom machining of any kind!

My Cars
    Coupes...
    Buldogge...

Would you be available for tech support? 2.5 hours means I could do 4 or 5 cars in a day!
    White is Right, Steel Grey is OK, but Estoril is the only color that truly matters.

I like Coupes.

My Cars
    E36/8, K12R, E91
    Of note the
    Quote Originally Posted by buldogge
    Of course this was done on my lift!
    part.

We started out on my car and the exhaust is welded not bolted so rather than hastle with it we just disconnected the rear mounts and lowered it enough to do the job.

May be able to do it without removing the calipers but rather than risk yanking a line off I just decided to play it safe.
    Power: Custom Exhaust w/ High Flow cats, CSL headers, built, low-compression Supercharged and aftercooled S-54, ViPEC standalone ECU, Vortech V2 Si trim
    Driveline: Euro 6 speed, 3.64 diff w/ 40% Lockup, Rogue Octane SSK, UUC Red TME kit, UUC Stage 3 LTW Flywheel/M5 Clutch, SS Shift Knob
    Suspension & Brakes: TC Kline True Match Coilovers 500f/500r w/ adjustable camber plates, Racing Dynamics sways, Custom front sway endlinks, ATE fluid, UUC/Willwood BBK 6 piston f - 4 piston r , Slotted E46M3 Rotors, Stainless Lines, Strong Strut, IE Subframe & adjustable rear trailing arm bushings
    ICE & Misc: Projector Z's w/DDE & 5k HID, 19'' Gold HRE C20's, Custom Aux pwr outlet, footwell lighting, ACS Splitters, Areo Sideskirts, Custom gauge pods, Z8 Start, Pioneer AVIC Z3, Clarus Components, 10" RE Sub in a Mister-X Enclosure, Alpine PDX 4X150 + 1X600 Amps

My Cars
    E36/8, K12R, E91
    Oh.... yes the wheel well liners should be moved out of the way for ease of install. Two screws per side.

My Cars
    E36/8, K12R, E91
    For what it's worth I can't figure out of the beer makes it more or less complicated....

My Cars
    Coupes...
    Well, I intend to remove the shocks, springs, and differential during the install anyways.. So do you think it will be harder or easier?
    White is Right, Steel Grey is OK, but Estoril is the only color that truly matters.

I like Coupes.

My Cars
    E36/8, K12R, E91
    You have to pull the shocks if your not doing the driveshaft and the springs would just be flopping around there anyway so remove is a fairly strong technical term. The Diff only needs to be unbolted from it's solitary mount, you don't have to mess w/ the half shafts.

Don't forget to unplug the Vehicle Speed Sensor from the Diff!!

My Cars
    Coupes...
    Yeah, but while the diff is so close to removed, why not swap it out?

I like Coupes.

My Cars
    99-01 M Cpe & Rdts, X5M
    Quote Originally Posted by clintjg
    Don't forget to unplug the Vehicle Speed Sensor from the Diff!!
    My problem is remembering to plug it back in!

I usually discover the omission when admiring my work in photographs...

I was very proud of myself that I plugged Daniel's sensor back in before the car was off the blocks (balancing out the handful of times I've left my own plug tucked around the swaybar_out of sight & out of mind).

My Cars
    '00 BMW MCoupe, '06 Mazda3 sT HB
    Quote Originally Posted by Randy Forbes
    My problem is remembering to plug it back in!

I usually discover the omission when admiring my work in photographs...

I was very proud of myself that I plugged Daniel's sensor back in before the car was off the blocks (balancing out the handful of times I've left my own plug tucked around the swaybar_out of sight & out of mind).

I think Clint's was driving around merrily & remarked @ how fast things felt @ 0 mph.
    '00S52 RETIRED

'07 Silver Gray E86 MCoupe

My Cars
    99-01 M Cpe & Rdts, X5M
    Quote Originally Posted by tripleM
    I think Clint's was driving around merrily & remarked @ how fast things felt @ 0 mph.
    Clint, that true?

My Cars
    '14 GLK250, '13 Abarth

1999 Cosmos Black/Dove Grey BMW ///M3 convertible - 5 speed - SOLD

2005 Atlantic Blue Pearl/Taupe Leather Subaru Legacy 2.5 GT Wagon - 5 speed
    - SOLD

2014 Tenorite Grey/Black Mercedes-Benz GLK 250 - bone stock.

2013 Bianco/Rosso Abarth 500c - 5 speed

2016 Oxford White/Grey Ford Transit 250 Powerstroke 148 MR (DIY RV conversion)

My Cars
    E36/8, K12R, E91
    nahhh I thought that we had wrapped the needle all the way around the speedo....
    Last edited by clintjg; 11-18-2004 at 08:42 PM.

My Cars
    E36/8, K12R, E91
    Yeah it's true....

My Cars
    E36/8, K12R, E91
    Quote Originally Posted by MMpire
    Yeah, but while the diff is so close to removed, why not swap it out?
    Touche..... $$$$ directly related to the f'n holidays....

My Cars
    E36/8, K12R, E91
    After a third install I just edited the instructions in post one for clarification. We were on schedule for about a 3hr job. That's about how long it should take given no misshaps.

Of note:
    Don't bother pulling off the rear calipers if you have stock rear brake lines. Just be careful and keep an eye on them.
    Don't mess with the exhaust hangers on the crossmember. Just pull the rear four and let the exhaust hang from the crossmember mounts. (works for stock - can't say w/ others)
    Don't crossthread the tool. 2:

Apparently 10 is the magic number. On the tenth bushing that this particular tool attempted to remove, the threaded top part that actually sucks the bushing into the receiver cup shredded itself. I think that I crossthreaded it but it's really hard to tell since the damn thing take so much effort to turn anyway. I didn't notice untill it was too late.

We were able to make a knockoff replacement by getting a 1/2 X 10'' hex bolt and a matching die. We used the die to extend the threads far enough to extract the bushing. We replaced the tools main bolt w/ our homemade one and some washers on the bottom and top. We placed the stripped out tool piece on the bushing and the 1/2'' threaded nut on top of that and pulled on that SOB till the cow's came home. We had to hold the nut from turning w/ an adjustable wrench. But it worked.

Needless to say I don't think I'll be doing that again soon.

My Cars
    1997 Alpine White M3
    After a third install I just edited the instructions in post one for clarification. We were on schedule for about a 3hr job. That's about how long it should take given no misshaps.

Of note:
    Don't bother pulling off the rear calipers if you have stock rear brake lines. Just be careful and keep an eye on them.
    Don't mess with the exhaust hangers on the crossmember. Just pull the rear four and let the exhaust hang from the crossmember mounts. (works for stock - can't say w/ others)
    Don't crossthread the tool. 2:

Apparently 10 is the magic number. On the tenth bushing that this particular tool attempted to remove, the threaded top part that actually sucks the bushing into the receiver cup shredded itself. I think that I crossthreaded it but it's really hard to tell since the damn thing take so much effort to turn anyway. I didn't notice untill it was too late.

We were able to make a knockoff replacement by getting a 1/2 X 10'' hex bolt and a matching die. We used the die to extend the threads far enough to extract the bushing. We replaced the tools main bolt w/ our homemade one and some washers on the bottom and top. We placed the stripped out tool piece on the bushing and the 1/2'' threaded nut on top of that and pulled on that SOB till the cow's came home. We had to hold the nut from turning w/ an adjustable wrench. But it worked.

Needless to say I don't think I'll be doing that again soon.
    Live and learn.

Thanks again Clint

My Cars
    E36/8, K12R, E91
    Not a problem man.

My Cars

Weird cowinky dink

Not a problem man.

http://bimmer.roadfly.org/bmw/forums...5939471-1.html
    '00S52 RETIRED

My Cars
    E36/8, K12R, E91
    Hey! It only took us one try!!!! RTFO!!!

My Cars
    Hey! It only took us one try!!!! RTFO!!!

Dude, not cause I'm biased but we were 3 hrs ahead of those guys & used 1 nut & @ the top!
    '00S52 RETIRED

My Cars
    E36/8, K12R, E91
    I'm just glad that this wasn't the first time it happend.... For those out there planning on doing several, use caution.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast