Bavarian Soundwerks
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nakamichi V Alpine

My Cars
    95 M3, 01 R6, 1960 Ducati Bronco (FS)

Nakamichi V Alpine head units

I'm trying to decide on a new head unit/cd changer for my 95 e36.
    My main concern is that the new HU matches the rest of the orange lights in the interior.
    I am not familiar with Nakamichi but I like that this unit is an in dash 6 CD changer.
    Any opinions/experience on the Nakamichi MB75?

Alpine 9835

Re: Nakamichi V Alpine

Nakamichi DEFINITELY! I am a stock person, I'd want something close to stock as much as possible. H/K, Nak, Blaupunkt, and Becker are the ones I find beautifully close to stock. And plus you can't go wrong with Nak's sq.
    2003 M3 Cabrio Carbonschwarz SMGII

Boston Acoustics
    SPG555
    GT-28

My Cars
    95' 325is

I love the astethics of alpine and so will probably be putting one of those decks is mind but my limited knowledge of nakamichi is that they are also a company i would put in the A quality category so I would so you wont be having any problems with them. Personally I do not believe an in dash cd changer setup is worth the money. While it is nice to be able to switch between the cd's in a changer and not have to fiddle with disks too much I personally would just put a unit under the seat rather than in the dash. Also I would think that there are more problems with in dash cd changer units becuase you have so many more moving parts and such therefore your long term reliability might be less with the nakamichi. Also just to give you another thought. While cd changers are still nice and all alot of the trend is going towards MP3 formats becuase you can hold so much more and such. Alpine is coming out with a unit that seamlessly integrates the IPOD with their decks using the ai net technology. this means youll be able to plug your ipod directly into a cable and have it charge and chill in your glove box or such and be able to control the whole thing from the alpine deck. The unit is only 100$ and so it is a really good price. In my opinion I would suggest this route to you. Youll have the huge storage of an IPOD (which ill admit are a little bit of $), the portability of an IPOD, and the flexibility of making your own playlists and such for not that much more. This is what i would od if i were you. Let me know what you think.

My Cars

Brand wise, I like the Nak, but isn't that a really old model? If you can get a newer model, then get the Nak, if not then the Alpine should do you well.

The color on the Alpine might not match, but you get use to it real fast.

My Cars
    1995 E36 325i Convertible

I am going for the Nak CD400 which is not a changer but looks stock like. A must for me is a knob for volume control which the pictured changer does not have. I have a blaupunkt in my Land Cruiser that has buttons for volume and I hate it. Perhaps the newer Nak changers have knobs. I am with you on the stock and simple look.

Dunbar

My Cars
    2017 530i M-sport

That pic of the CDA-9835 is somewhat deceiving. The display is black and white, not green. And, all the buttons can be matched to our amber lights. I have one in my car and love it. It replaced a Nak CD-45Za, which I also loved.

The Naks have awesome sound. Their in-dash changers have had lots of reliability trouble though.

To me, the benefits of the Alpine are the deciding factor. XM, digital EQ, Time Alignment and 4 line Biolite display.

Jay

From wannabe to has been in a few short years..... the older I get, the faster I was

My Cars
    M3-T,G63,S63,Huracan-Evo

I would get the alpine i have the 9815 and its great its very easy to work with and the colors on it dont look bad at all i can take some pictures of it on if you want

Unless you're getting the 700 series, you're not really getting a Nakamichi... Unless something's changed recently, the 700 CD700 is the only HU made in Japan. Nak manufacturing in Malaysia is subpar, and they've had QC problems.

My Cars

Quote Originally Posted by Kenshiro
    Unless you're getting the 700 series, you're not really getting a Nakamichi... Unless something's changed recently, the 700 CD700 is the only HU made in Japan. Nak manufacturing in Malaysia is subpar, and they've had QC problems.

Yes, I saw you, or someone, say that before. However, I am not buying the name I am buying the looks. If the sound quality is superior to my stock unit I will be happy. I will make sure to buy from a source that will honor the warranty to guard against your QC warning.

I would love to have the high end Nak unit but do not want to drop that kind of scratch. I have already lightened my wallet buying the a/d/s amp, components and sub.

I remember the first Nakamichi that I ever heard. A freind had it in his 280Z in about 1983. He had a car phone back then too so money was no object and the rest of his audio system was boss. He crushed my spleen with the B52's Rock Lobster.

Dunbar

My Cars
    e46 M3, e90 335

Nothing beats an old school Toronto...even the face plate plastic is textured to match an E36 dash. I wish it had higher volt pre-outs, but I am happy over-all with it's rock solid reliability.
    Attached Images Attached Images

My Cars
    04 ZHP 17 X3 M-Sport

I vote Alpine from a maintenance stadpoint...I had a Nakamichi 6 disk changer in my M3...It broked down and I called around to see who could fix it...Turns out there are two known dealers that I could find that are authorized to fix it...However, they said getting parts was next to impossible. They told me I would be w/out my changer for at least 6 months or more...and that's if they could find the correct parts to fix it
    "True peace is not merly the absence of tension: it is the presence of justice..."

Quote Originally Posted by Kevlar View Post
    Reposting something is not against the rules... somebody screaming that it's a "repost" is though.

Quote Originally Posted by snafu
    Nothing beats an old school Toronto...even the face plate plastic is textured to match an E36 dash. I wish it had higher volt pre-outs, but I am happy over-all with it's rock solid reliability.
    Blaupunkt's old school is definitely at OEM looks. They made OEM radios for BMW for a long time, and Porsche as well, then BMW got cheap and switched to Jap Alpine and Pioneer. I've repaired MANY Alpine products under the BMW OEM line. Blaupunkt is the way to go....Skyline series has superior sound quality. But since he gave me two choices and someone has experienced CD chng problems, go with a newer unit. Don't forget about old school Eclipse as well.

There's nothing wrong with Alpine except for it's complete incompatibility to look stock, even with amber lights you have the silver face, knob and clicky buttons...Blaupunkt does not have the clicky buttons, it feels just like the AC control buttons....etc.

Boston Acoustics
    SPG555
    GT-28

My Cars
    99 323i, 89 325i, 88 560SL, 96 Civic, 87 Nissan PU

I had a Nak CD-45Z. I LOVED it. The SQ was simply amazing and it just looked so simple and elegant. I put it in my previous car (WRX) with everything else stock and it made a big difference. 20-bit D/A converter on that model. I miss it. And yes, nothing like a rotary volume control.

I vote for the Nak. But I like Alpines too.

~chris

My Cars

Quote Originally Posted by 00poop6x
    Blaupunkt's old school is definitely at OEM looks.
    snip
    ...Blaupunkt does not have the clicky buttons, it feels just like the AC control buttons....etc.
    Yes I have a old school Blaupunkt Reno in my Land Cruiser and it looks great but I refuse to buy another HU without a knob for volume. None of the units in their current line up look like the old ones. They are horrible, almost a crime to position in the dash amongst the spartain stock BMW controls.

The Toronto looks good in the pic but where do I get one? Ebay? I like the brand new in box factor of the Nak 400, and the sub controll that my Reno does not have. And since it is not a changer there is less to go wrong. I see more than one Nak in dash changer on ebay without a functional changer. Paper weights! For $269 plus shipping on a CD400 if it craters in a few years no major loss.

Dunbar

My Cars
    04 ZHP 17 X3 M-Sport

Blaupunkt's old school is definitely at OEM looks. They made OEM radios for BMW for a long time, and Porsche as well, then BMW got cheap and switched to Jap Alpine and Pioneer. I've repaired MANY Alpine products under the BMW OEM line. Blaupunkt is the way to go....Skyline series has superior sound quality. But since he gave me two choices and someone has experienced CD chng problems, go with a newer unit. Don't forget about old school Eclipse as well.

There's nothing wrong with Alpine except for it's complete incompatibility to look stock, even with amber lights you have the silver face, knob and clicky buttons...Blaupunkt does not have the clicky buttons, it feels just like the AC control buttons....etc.
    Just sold me on getting a Blaupupunkt to replace my head unit when it goes...

Thanks
    "True peace is not merly the absence of tension: it is the presence of justice..."

Quote Originally Posted by Kevlar View Post
    Reposting something is not against the rules... somebody screaming that it's a "repost" is though.

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3, 1977 VW DE 2.0L 16V

I'm planning on the Nak CD-400 too:

The buttons/knob color can be amber as well.

dc
    2001 Honda S2000, 1977 VW Rabbit DE 2.0L 16V, 1993 Ducati 750SS
    The S2000 Blog

My Cars
    95 M3, 01 R6, 1960 Ducati Bronco (FS)

Thanks for the input everyone.
    I'm still undecided as to what HU to get.

I like the looks of the Nakamichi but the reliability of the in-dash changer is questionable.
    I like everything about the Alpine (especially the digital 5 band EQ and Time Alignment) -except that it looks like a robot-

I checked out Blaupunkt's website but couldn't find a HU that looked good.
    Too funky for my taste.

My Cars
    e36 dd

do the Nakamichi's have the same quality of ouput and sound as the alpines?

Quote Originally Posted by Jp&Jackies325is
    do the Nakamichi's have the same quality of ouput and sound as the alpines?
    If not the same, then better. If not F1 Status. CD reproduction.

Boston Acoustics
    SPG555
    GT-28

My Cars
    1997 M3/4/5

I love my 9835. I usually have the display blackout

Bad pic, but you get an idea of what the display looks like.

My Cars
    e36 dd

can all the alpines have their buttoms changed to amber or is it only certain models?

My Cars
    2017 530i M-sport

The CDA-9835 does not have a silver face. It's black. The only things that resemble silver are the knob and the trim surrounding it. They aren't shiny sliver but look more like black chrome or brushed aluminum. IMO, very subdued.

Jay

From wannabe to has been in a few short years..... the older I get, the faster I was

My Cars
    2017 530i M-sport

Quote Originally Posted by Jp&Jackies325is
    can all the alpines have their buttoms changed to amber or is it only certain models?
    The CDA-9831, CDA-9833 and CDA-9835 all offer Multicolor Illumination. They also offer the Blackout feature which allows you to black out the display when adjustments aren't being made. In that case, all you'll see is the button illumination. No busy stuff or colored display.

Jay

My Cars
    97M3
    I used to be a big Blaupunkt fan until my Sydney H.U. gave up the ghost after 5 years. Strong point was the stock look, even the buttons looked to be made of the same flat black factory-look plastic. Weak points were that it had only 2 sets of 2.5V pre-outs. I chose the Sydney because back then I put looks over performance. I have decided against Blaupunkt the second time around because they are serviced by only one known store: Midwest Electronics.

Now that I know a little more about car audio, I have narrowed the field down to Alpine and Kenwood. The Alpine has the edge in terms of looks but the Kenwood has the edge in performance since it has 3 sets of 5V preouts, not 4V as in the Alpine's 9835. Plus it has Dolby Pro Logic II which supposedly recreates a surround sound field from any 2 channel source. I have yet to experience this though so cannot comment on whether this is merely marketing hype.

The Nak units have always had that classic look to them. However, even the vaunted CD700 has only 2 sets (of 5V) preouts. A strong point in favor of the Naks is that they have 18, 20, or 24 bit DACs. Only the Kenwood offers anything similar. The Nak 400 looks very clean as well though I have no info as to its reliability.

The Becker units, standard in many MBs and Porsches, are the most costly. They probably don't represent good value since they are available only as refurbished units. On the basis of looks, they would probably blend in nicely with our dashboards.

Another plus for Alpine and Kenwood is that they're sold by just about every retailer. A good thing if you need to replace a HU or CDC quick.
    Last edited by old school; 10-20-2004 at 12:06 AM.

My Cars
    Quote Originally Posted by old school
    Now that I know a little more about car audio, I have narrowed the field down to Alpine and Kenwood. The Alpine has the edge in terms of looks but the Kenwood has the edge in performance since it has 3 sets of 5V preouts, not 4V as in the Alpine's 9835. The Nak units have always had that classic look to them. However, even the vaunted CD700 has 2 sets of 4V preouts. The Nak 400 looks very clean as well though I have no info as to its reliability.
    The Nak CD400 has 4ch/4V Preamplifier output (RCA) and Subwoofer preamp output (RCA).

I only need to service front, rear, and sub so 3 sets of RCA's from the HU to the amp will suffice.

What does 5V preout vs 4V preout do for us? Will I notice the difference after sending the 4V to my amp and blasting it into the open sky at highway speed with the top down?

I notice that the CD700II has 5V preouts but they do not list the number of sets of preouts.

Dunbar

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast