Thread: EDC and INPA on 00 750il

My Cars
    2000 750il, 99 Z3 2.8

EDC and INPA on 00 750il

Greetings. ...working on a 2000 750il with S EDC. At a great expense, I've replaced struts/shocks on all 4 corners with OEM replacements, and the suspension EDC. S EDC Button stays lit when selected, and there is what I think to be incorrect constant voltage (6v +/-.5v) at the struts. It still rides like a dump truck... which leads to my question. I'm using INPA via a 20pin to OBDII cable, plugged into the blue K-line usb cord. (also bought the K-DCAN usb interface with switch, but it didn't help) I can access nearly all of the info and modules under the engine, transmission, chassis, body, and communications with INPA, except the 2 I think I really need to check: chassis- SEDC module/sensors and steering angle sensor, which I hope leads to accelerometer tests. I keep getting a "IFH-0006: COMMAND NOT ACCEPTED" error. I've searched the forum to see if anyone else had this issue, and while there are many INPA related topics, I did not find this particular one. What am I missing? I've spent 6 years and 30k+ trying to preserve this beauty, and this is the second to last thing on the list, so ANY guidance would very appreciated. Thanks!

My Cars
    2001 750iL DD74441
    Check the actual EDC module. There have been failures of this in the past but not often enough that a search will readily provided it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    2000 750il, 99 Z3 2.8
    Quote Originally Posted by TheAngryBear View Post
    Check the actual EDC module. There have been failures of this in the past but not often enough that a search will readily provided it.

Thank you AngryBear. I pulled the EDC4 module (which was a used replacement) and I don't see any obvious solder joint failures, or signs of over-heating. Is there a testing procedure for this module? I found a great write up with an EDC strut multi-meter chart, but nothing for the EDC4 module.

My Cars
    1997 750i, 2001 730d
    I am in the exact same boat. If anyone here has good modules I will buy one, and I'm sure the OP will also be interested

I did the exact same things as OP (all 4 struts new from BMW etc, at great expense)..

I wish I had just replaced with Bilstein B4's instead.
    740i 1995
    750i 1997
    730d 2001
    W221 M272 S350
    R230 M272 SL280

My Cars
    2000 750il, 99 Z3 2.8
    Quote Originally Posted by evs9000 View Post
    I am in the exact same boat. If anyone here has good modules I will buy one, and I'm sure the OP will also be interested

I did the exact same things as OP (all 4 struts new from BMW etc, at great expense)..

I wish I had just replaced with Bilstein B4's instead.
    Are you using INPA and able to access the steering angle sensor and EDC module in the chassis tab? I'm working with my third EDC4 module, and starting to think either all used modules are bad, or my problem isn't with the module.

My Cars
    2001 750iL DD74441
    Three modules points to something else… so maybe check the grounds and connections for the module…
    I think it was [mention]a777fan [/mention] that had the EDC module error… if I can find the link I will post it.

As for the Steering Angle Sensor, have you replaced that as well?

My Cars
    2000 750il, 99 Z3 2.8
    I'm totally ok with replacing the SAS, but I feel I should at least get an INPA reading (or lack of) off of it first. I did find a thread that highlighted an issue that was related to a resistor on the EDC, so I'm going to thoroughly inspect the resistor joints tonight. I will also try to locate the grounds.

My Cars
    2000 750il, 99 Z3 2.8
    Progress: As I was pulling the EDC4 out from under the dash, I occurred to me that I may not have had INPA when I pulled the original EDC4 out. So I put the original back in and like magic, I can now access the steering angle sensor data! I still can't get into the EDC data, but I can now I think rule out the SAS. While I'm not entirely sure what I'm looking at, (sensor wiper voltage? voltage clamp?) I believe the data I was looking for checks out. Lateral acceleration, angle speed, wheel speed, ect all looks as I would expect it to. The leads on the EDC4, and the connectors and wiring all look great, and it feels solid as the connection is made. I'm taking Angrybear's suggestion and going to attempt to verify ground for the module next. Because it was never an option for me, I'm fairly ignorant about the procedure for an EDC delete. Is re-coding the EDC4 module part of the process for a delete?

My Cars
    2001 750iL DD74441
    No it isn’t. Many people have just looped the hydraulic lines and left everything else and all was good.

My Cars
    1997 750i, 2001 730d
    Hi, you've already replaced the struts with new EDC parts (that was thousands $$), we need to get your EDC working. Delete happens *before* you spend the money on new BMW struts, not after.
    Now, we will all work together to get it fixed for you, I know the car is undriveable in tank mode, but we will certainly get you up and running.
    740i 1995
    750i 1997
    730d 2001
    W221 M272 S350
    R230 M272 SL280

My Cars
    2000 750il, 99 Z3 2.8
    Hi, you've already replaced the struts with new EDC parts (that was thousands $$), we need to get your EDC working. Delete happens *before* you spend the money on new BMW struts, not after.
    Now, we will all work together to get it fixed for you, I know the car is undriveable in tank mode, but we will certainly get you up and running.
    Absolutely. I have zero interest in abandoning the OE suspension. It's almost to a matter of pride to get this sorted out.

My Cars
    1997 750i, 2001 730d
    Could you please share the part numbers of the EDC modules you have, and/or a photograph of them
    Both the original that came with the car, and the replacement unit

Please advise what happens when you run the original unit, were you able to get into INPA and read codes from it?
    What about INPA on the 2nd unit?

Do you have any access to a legacy diagnostic unit, i.e. the 2000-era SCO UNIX GT1 machines?
    740i 1995
    750i 1997
    730d 2001
    W221 M272 S350
    R230 M272 SL280

My Cars
    2000 750il, 99 Z3 2.8
    Could you please share the part numbers of the EDC modules you have, and/or a photograph of them
    Both the original that came with the car, and the replacement unit

Please advise what happens when you run the original unit, were you able to get into INPA and read codes from it?
    What about INPA on the 2nd unit?

Do you have any access to a legacy diagnostic unit, i.e. the 2000-era SCO UNIX GT1 machines?

My EDC modules are all "EDC4 412.215/081/002 37.15-1 095 094" When the original was reinstalled I was able to get steering angle under the chassis tab, but still no EDC connectivity. I am able to access I think all the other INPA readings. And I currently do not have a "legacy" diagnostic system, but I'm open to suggestions... On an outside chance, I did install new rear shock accumulators and flushed/filled the power steering system with new CHF 11 this weekend. Still a dump truck. The rear wheel wells were pretty brittle, so I'm waiting on 2 new ones to arrive. While I'm waiting, I plan to pull the rear accelerometer and try to verify that it is functioning correctly.

Through all of this, my little voice keeps telling me that there is an error code that is keeping this system from operating. Again, new shocks/struts on all four corners, and 3 different EDC modules tried. Button lights up when selected, and stays on.

My Cars
    2000 540iT Sport
    @BHBMWGUY - You stated above "I found a great write up with an EDC strut multi-meter chart, " Can you share that chart or a link to it please?

My Cars
    2001 750iL DD74441
    Would love to see something official like what Timm has posted:

http://www.meeknet.co.uk/e38/EDC_III_Plus.pdf
    So from this there are several required checks:
    Steering Angle Sensor
    Front Acceleration Sensor
    Rear Acceleration Sensor
    Front Left Speed Sensor
    ABS Control Unit

As for the valves, this document: https://ia801005.us.archive.org/11/i...5201-20-03.pdf shows you should be going 0-5V but doesn’t say what activates what. If anything, it implies that 5V should be hardest with 0V soft however we know that unplugging goes hard mode so that implies that the scale should be reversed (maybe, as you never know with BMW).

My Cars
    2000 750il, 99 Z3 2.8
    Quote Originally Posted by Hogg View Post
    @BHBMWGUY - You stated above "I found a great write up with an EDC strut multi-meter chart, " Can you share that chart or a link to it please?
    I knew I should have bookmarked that page. I will try to find it. I thought it may have been in this forum, but there's a chance it could have been youtube.

My Cars
    2001 750iL DD74441

EDC and INPA on 00 750il

This thread? First post?think that is E34 though…

https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...pic-EDC-battle

Last edited by TheAngryBear; 03-25-2024 at 06:16 PM.

My Cars
    2000 750il, 99 Z3 2.8
    Quote Originally Posted by TheAngryBear View Post
    This thread? First post?think that is E34 though…

https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...pic-EDC-battle

I did see that one too... I wonder if he figured it out.

I was able to check grounds, and pretty much the majority of the wiring, and it all looked really good. I measured voltage at the front strut connection, and now I'm really confused. When the S-EDC button is off, there is 7 volts at all three of the pins. When the S-EDC button is on, there is 7 volts at all three pins. From what I've read, this is too much voltage, and hopefully I haven't damaged the strut solenoids. I'm optimistic that this clue will help with my trouble shooting woes, but the confusion is why is strut is so stiff when there is voltage going to it? I understand that as a safety feature the solenoids close when there is no voltage present, but do the solenoids also close when there is too much voltage?
    I've pretty much given up on INPA being able to access the EDC data. Does anyone know if the EDC module would be wiped if the +/- battery cable leads are held together for 30 minutes? Is this a logical next step, or are there consequences that will create even more problems?

My Cars
    2000 540iT Sport
    Jumping in here. First - did you ever get this fixed?

I have a 2001 740iL Sport with EDC. I have done A LOT of research and read a ton of BMW docs, and sifted through american and german forums, eliminating all the crap and incorrect info and out of all of that creating a doc on how EDC actually works and how to test it etc. The doc is still a work in progress but will set a few things straight. I have made the doc public so anyone should be able to read it. https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...it?usp=sharing

Let me know if you have any questions or comments. But dont tell me i have something wrong without having an official german BMW doc to point to, or your own rigorously done test data.

What i will say is that you should have zero volts at any of the wires at the shock when the car is off, or when the car is engine on and the car is stationary - regardless of what the EDC button is set to. So if you are measuring a voltage at the shocks with engine on and car stationary, then you have a problem. First step i would do is disconnect the 10-pin to the EDC module, and then measure again, to see if the voltage is coming from the EDC module or from a short somewhere. If there is still voltage at one or more wires with the EDC module disconnected, then you have a short somewhere in the lines between the module and the shock.

My Cars
    2000 750il, 99 Z3 2.8
    Eureka!!! After meditating on this for months, reading and re-reading all the suggestions/advice given to me, I went through the entire system again.... and found nothing. After loading my shopping cart with EDC delete items, I had a moment of clarity. TheAngryBear nailed it with his initial suggestion. I had purchased 3 identical EDC4 modules, with no change in functionality when installed. I purchased a 4th EDC4 module off of Ebay last week, and my suspension now works flawlessly! Super cushy with the S-EDC at normal. A realistic firmness setting when S-EDC is active. Waaayyyy better than the F1 mode it's been stuck in. It took me a few miles to realize I no longer needed to engage my core over every little bump, and the car is an absolute pleasure to drive now. One more item on the check list to deal with, and she is 100% done, with every feature functioning. If anyone knows of a shop or procedure to repair the EDC4 module, please let me know. I have a pile of them...

My Cars
    2001 750iL DD74441
    Wow, 4th time is the charm! Glad it got resolved but that sucks about all those modules. Might just be the age where they are “blowing”?
    Glad you have it fixed though!

My Cars
    1999 750il, 1995 325i, 1995 trans am, 1985 corvett
    Hi BHBMWGUY,

im glad you were able to sort out your issue with the EDC. Like you, I also replaced all 4 shocks and accumulators with the original SACHs from BMW. My car rides ok...It doesnt feel like a tank..and my EDC light also stays on when activated...I rarely put the EDC on...i believe that makes for a stiffer ride...so I leave it off in order to get a softer ride.
    Can you tell me where is the EDC module? I may not have an issue with mine...but it may be worth looking into where a replacement can be found.....If I can find a used one with the exact part number....does it need to be synched to the car with INPA or is it plug and play?

Enjoy your restored ride,
    RIck

My Cars
    2000 750il, 99 Z3 2.8
    Quote Originally Posted by 1999750il View Post
    Hi BHBMWGUY,

im glad you were able to sort out your issue with the EDC. Like you, I also replaced all 4 shocks and accumulators with the original SACHs from BMW. My car rides ok...It doesnt feel like a tank..and my EDC light also stays on when activated...I rarely put the EDC on...i believe that makes for a stiffer ride...so I leave it off in order to get a softer ride.
    Can you tell me where is the EDC module? I may not have an issue with mine...but it may be worth looking into where a replacement can be found.....If I can find a used one with the exact part number....does it need to be synched to the car with INPA or is it plug and play?

Enjoy your restored ride,
    RIck
    It is located behind the glovebox, favoring to the driver's side.

My Cars
    11/87 735i & 735il P/C
    Quote Originally Posted by BHBMWGUY View Post
    lt is located behind the glovebox, favoring to the driver's side.
    Can you please confirm if the replacement EDC module requires coding to the car?

And are you able to access the new, functional module via INPA?

I'm reading conflicting reports about coding in other threads. Just ordered one from eBay "confirmed working" for $220 shipped because I'm having the same problem with my 01 750.

Glad you found a solution and thanks for documenting the journey here for us!
    Last edited by CamE32; 09-02-2024 at 12:39 AM.

My Cars
    '95 540/6, '01 750iL
    Yes- there is config selectable data in the EDC module. You’ll need NCS to re-code.

I have thus far been unsuccessful in determining a mapping between the options available in NCS, and the associated car configuration. If possible, read out the config loaded in the currently installed module and then just replicate that on your new module.

Alternatively, ensure the used unit is from an identically configured car. 740/750 i/iL etc etc. Then it should be ‘plug and play’.