Autogeek.net Car Care Products
** 10% off @ Autogeek.net - PinnacleWax.com & Wolfgangcarcare.com - Coupon Code = clubmember

Thread: Will these be able to be wet sanded out?

My Cars
    E46 M3

Will these be able to be wet sanded out?

There is these tiny micro chips or pitting(I dont know what you would call it) on my hadlight trim. It doesnt look the paint is missing but rather as if the clear coat has been dented a bit from getting hit with little rocks from the road. Will this come out with a wet sand, compound and polish? Or will this have to be repainted?

Thanks

My Cars
    2007 530xi, 2018 650i
    Hello Sandeep,
    There is really no way of knowing with any certainty from the images, but most likely not. Wet sanding is typically done for leveling purposes whereas you're removing higher imperfections in order to get it down to an acceptable level that buffing can then be performed. Wet sanding is also done for re-coating purposes, etc. It's not typically done to address pitting because that is the opposite of what the goal usually is. In that instance, you'd be removing vast layers of good clear, in an attempt to address an issue. In one instance, you're taking the bad down to the good; in the other instance, you're taking the good down to the bad.

Having said all of that, if the pitting is really shallow and you have a good layer of clear; THEN wet sanding and buffing could possibly make an acceptable improvement. Otherwise, you're best result will probably be to wet sand with 600-800 grit and then re-clear it. You'll then wet sand and buff to get it perfectly leveled. That's what I'll be doing on the hood of our 650i pretty soon.

I'm a former professional detailer (14 years) and I've made paint corrections on many tens of thousands of vehicles. I've also professionally painted dozens of vehicles for friends and family going back to the 1980's. If you're not comfortable using professional equipment and clears, then consider SprayMax 2k in a can.

Good luck,
    Ralph
    Last edited by RalphIII; 04-07-2024 at 10:40 PM.