Thread: Existing TT Stage 2: looking for fast spool upgrade options for 500whp on 93oct

My Cars
    1998 M3 643whp

Existing TT Stage 2: looking for fast spool upgrade options for 500whp on 93oct

Turbo gurus

As the title states: I currently have a stage 2 Technique tuning setup (installed by PO) that I'm fairly happy with as the Nate G tune is exceptional from a DD perspective. However, The old tech 60-1 turbo leaves a bit to be desired considering I've been exposed to modern EFR and E90 335 turbo setups. The transient response on this 60-1 turbo is very poor IMO, but "period correct". This is just a fun, weekend car. No racing of any type. Strict 93oct and car has a 3.5in metal cat (and will always have it). I'm trying to educate myself quickly on the platform, so be gentle with me. Photobucket has broken much of the archived information on E36s.

65K mile 1998 M3
    (R title though, probably a 9:10 condition wise, trying to maintain as much value as possible for a driver's car)
    TT Stage 2 with 60-1 T3 turbo
    42lb injectors (most likely need to be upgraded as well affecting the tune)
    .140 MLS head gasket (leaking small amounts of oil at front passenger corner)
    ARP headstuds
    Built rear end and DSS axles
    M50 manifold
    UUC clutch

Its not really clear what capacity Nate G is still in with respect to tuning cars (as a newish E36 owner). While I haven't tried to contact him yet, I get the impression that he is close to (if not fully in) retirement on this platform and not doing custom tunes anymore (ie very selective in his customers)? Just looking for advice on what would be a best value next step considering my current car. Cost isn't a huge concern, just want to do it right and end up with the best, most reliable result. I have heard of a "stage 3" TT setup that uses a GT35R. Are these tunes PnP and still available for purchase from TT? If not, who is the best stock ECU tuner in the north east (PA)? Not willing to go backwards though on tune livability though.

The way I see it is that the car should at least have a new head gasket installed to address the slow oil leak at the front of the engine from the spacer. I could also live with it. It seems as if cut rings are the best solution for this, but I'd probably be more comfortable with a true lower compression, turbo engine in the long run. In for a penny/pound mentality. That would also help keep the car running a safer, higher boost level for the HP target IMO (instead of lower boost, but higher CR combo).

Absolute must haves
    larger injectors, 800ccs?
    "unknown" fuel pump from previous owner. Probably needs upgraded for piece of mind.
    New tune - MUST keep stock ECU. Current setup passes ODB2 inspection. No compromise on this.
    Modern BB turbo, GTX 3586? or EFR 8374 (probably requires new manifold, so less desirable considering existing parts) I think you can get these in T3 flange configurations, but I can't find any info on whether they fit on the TT manifold or not. Probably unlikely if I had to guess, but EFR turbo is exactly what I'd want. Just not willing to jump to a SteedSpeed setup considering all the TT parts in hand. Don't want to sell the TT kit outright either.

Engine Options
    1: Just replace head gasket with cut ring, may still develop oil leak and blow gasket. Also running on edge of bottom end reliability IMO at 500+ whp.
    2: Swap M52 short block? (will most likely have 2X mileage) and will reduce value of car. Should be close to best turbo engine option though and have more purchase area for sealing HG.
    3: Build existing S52 with lower compression pistons and rods? (most expensive and still has thin lands between cylinders for HG sealing)
    4: Educate me on another option

My Cars
    96 Oil Gobbler
    Where are you located? I know maximum psi and Ces work with nick on a regular basis. Going through one of those shops would be the best way to get an update from nick.

My Cars
    1998 M3 643whp
    Thanks for the tip!
    In central/eastern PA

Maximum PSI: 2hrs away :|
    CES Motorsports 8hrs away

I'd rather not have a speed shop do any of the mechanical work and prefer to handle myself. Outside of them hosting the dyno, the shops wouldn't have much in it for them to help me IMO. They'd probably want to do the work (and then most likely piss me off as the car sits idle for 2 months not being worked on...if they are like any of the other speed shops I've dealt with in the pass). It's just a bad situation IMO to have to drop a car off 2hrs away too. Mail order TT ECU (equal part tune) would be best case scenario if possible. They are probably both good shops, but I'm a tough, older customer with high expectations.
    Last edited by wgknestrick; 12-17-2017 at 05:04 PM.

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    If you just want 500 rwhp, use a cutring and spacer and a turbo with a little more flow like a GT35R or PT6262 or EFR 8374. The EFR is physically large and it may not fit if you are using the TT cast manifold. I ran one on the original syredsprrd last year and had to grind the FCAB and holder to get it to fit. I am not sure they will spoil any better than a little 60-1, though. I ran a 0.82 GT35R for a few years and really liked it - made 607 rwhp SAE on a Dynojet at 21 psi. Butters Stoch has a customer running a 0.63 PT6262 and trapping 130 mph on pump gas so he must be making over 500 rwhp and the small back housing gives great response.

A 60 lb tune will get you to near 700 rwhp. I think NickG’s tunes are great but you probably won’t get one unless you get it through MaxPsi or CES. There are other tuners, though.