Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: DIY: Central dome lighting with diodes from E39 to be installed in E36

dancerst is offline life is a dance... BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    E36 SC,E31 840ci,740iL

Lightbulb DIY: Central dome lighting with diodes from E39 to be installed in E36

Hi...
    Once I’ve been looking at the web page where MParallel shows his upgraded central dome lighting (E36 conv.) with the diodes from E39....

I decided to do differently.

That’s how I’ve done this.
    ————————————————————————————————

central lamp from E39

take off front cover

from the back side unclick inside (black) part and push it out

this is that part we gonna work with

take off the central switch

now we need to do some cuts and do some soldering.
    before and after photos

put the wire for power doides into connector (grey-red wire)

solder together connector from E39 lamp and from your E36 lamp

now more ditailed what to solder:
    1 VIO-WHT to RED-YELL (+12V hot in ACC and start)
    2 RED-WHT extand and put it to pin 3 in the lamp(+12V hot at all time)
    3 BRN-BLK к RED-BLU (open door signal)
    4 BRN to BRN (ground)
    5 BRN-RED to BRN-YELL (to make the lamp light when push the central button)

then we put the button on it’s place and assemble everything else
    slightly correct the lamp housing with a file or knife

in the car we need to find only one wire (GRY-RED)
    if you have sliding roof, you likely find this wire on the roof switch, you should connect to this wire and put in the central lamp connector in the car

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eHXwMfR7huA"]video on youtube[/ame]
    Last edited by dancerst; 12-22-2010 at 08:54 AM.

My Cars
    DE-spec E36 328i/M3 cab
    Good job. So why do you have to take out half of the center metal plate?

The thing is, this path wasn't an option for me as the convertible domelight is much longer and narrower. So I had to integrate the LEDs from an E38/E39 unit and into the E36 vert one.

PS: The E38/E39 leds are more red than amber, used on later models.

The effect of the lights at night is so subtle you hardly know it's there. Untill you hold your hand before them and notice how dark the center console/shifter area gets. It's a nice soft amber glow highlighting the area.

What web page exactly did you look at? My journal at bmw syndikat?

Last edited by MParallel; 12-22-2010 at 08:06 PM.
    1998 BMW M3 3.2 Cabrio • Alpinweiί III on Schwarz • German spec • 1 of 12
    SMG • SRA • PDC • AUC • OBC • GSM • HK • UURS • IHKA • FGR • MFL

IG:
    https://www.instagram.com/iflok/

My Cars
    6/96 318is
    Impressive. I'm also curious about the center switch, and the modifications (if any) you made to the sunroof access panel or roof. I ended up shortening the panel.

Do you have a schematic showing your wiring and changes? That could be very helpful if someone doesn't have a wired plug from a junked E38/E39.
    Last edited by johnf; 12-23-2010 at 05:16 AM.

My Cars
    E36 SC,E31 840ci,740iL
    Quote Originally Posted by MParallel View Post
    Good job. So why do you have to take out half of the center metal plate?
    First: Thanks!
    Because other way your light will be tured on always, no matter in what position you central button is.

The thing is, this path wasn't an option for me as the convertible domelight is much longer and narrower. So I had to integrate the LEDs from an E38/E39 unit and into the E36 vert one.
    I totally understand you. my friend has a conv. so I saw that lamp... You had the only way to do the diods light.

My journal at bmw syndikat?
    Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by johnf View Post
    Impressive. I'm also curious about the center switch, and the modifications (if any) you made to the sunroof access panel or roof. I ended up shortening the panel.

Do you have a schematic showing your wiring and changes? That could be very helpful if someone doesn't have a wired plug from a junked E38/E39.
    This is pinout for E39 lamp:

1) VIO-WHT (+12V hot in ACC and start)
    2) BRN (ground)
    3) ————— (this pin needs to be powered with +12V hot at all time)
    4) GRY-RED (+12V for diodes)
    5) RED-BLU (open door signal)
    6) BRN-RED (to make the lamp light when push the central button)
    Last edited by dancerst; 12-23-2010 at 07:05 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    6/96 318is
    Quote Originally Posted by dancerst View Post
    This is pinout for E39 lamp:

1) VIO-WHT (+12V hot in ACC and start)
    2) BRN (ground)
    3) ————— (this pin needs to be powered with +12V hot at all time)
    4) GRY-RED (+12V for diodes)
    5) RED-BLU (open door signal)
    6) BRN-RED (to make the lamp light when push the central button)
    Thanks, I think I understand: you tied together the center switch and the ZKE's ramped (open door) lighting output so that they light the interior when either is on (the switch is closed or a door is open).
    Last edited by johnf; 12-23-2010 at 08:08 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    E36 SC,E31 840ci,740iL
    Thanks, I think I understand: you tied together the center switch and the ZKE's ramped (open door) lighting output so that they light the interior when either is on (the switch is closed or a door is open).
    Not exactly...
    In every E36 behinde the roof console you’ll find a connector with at least 4 wires: (+12V, ground, BRN-BLK, BRN-RED)

BRN-BLK is input signal from ZKE to lamp (open door signal)
    BRN-RED is output singal from the lamp to rear interior lights (when you push the central button on tha lamp)

My Cars
    6/96 318is
    On my 318is coupe, the ramped lighting wire from the ZKE is .75 RT/SW (red/black). You can see it, at least its red body color, arcing downward around the left side of the large, yellow connector:

Last edited by johnf; 12-23-2010 at 09:19 AM.

My Cars
    E36 SC,E31 840ci,740iL
    On my 318is coupe, the ramped lighting wire from the ZKE is .75 RT/SW (red/black). You can see it, at least its red body color, arcing downward around the left side of the large, yellow connector:

This is correct. From ZKE goes RED-BLK but when it reaches the lamp it becomes BRN-BLK
    Last edited by dancerst; 12-23-2010 at 10:37 AM.

My Cars
    DE-spec E36 328i/M3 cab

Sorry for the little off-topic, but John, what is that black module at the left foreground? Doesn't seem familiar to me.

Dancerst: I already had a feeling it had something to do with the central switch.
    I do wonder, the 2 mapslights (well the central one too) on the unit, all have 2-way switches. Either on or off. Does this means they don't turn on automatically when the door is opened?
    Or was this also done by modding the central connector?

This would mean that you can't choose it yourself if you want them to come on automatically or not at door-open, right?

I don't know if the coupe ever had this option, but on my vert I can also make the 2 little maplights come on or off with door-open. Actually I can set this function for all 3 lights independently, as all 3 lights have their own 3-way switch. "on/off/courtesy".

On the E38/E39 and all newer models, the lights are all controlled by a separate light module, which gives functions impossible to retrofit in our car. Like the way the steering wheel buttons are lit for example.

The big white connector, is that the domelight connector on the original E36 domelight? That is a big one. On my vert is a small, flat black connector with the mini pins.

And finally, did or didn't you hook the leds up to the interior dimmer switch? I did as this is how it is in the E38/E39. Although it's cool to just make them light maximum all the time, as I want it to be as original as possible, I wired them through the interior dimmer switch so they dimm with the rest of the interior lights.

IG:

My Cars
    E36 SC,E31 840ci,740iL
    Dancerst: I already had a feeling it had something to do with the central switch.
    I do wonder, the 2 mapslights (well the central one too) on the unit, all have 2-way switches. Either on or off. Does this means they don't turn on automatically when the door is opened?
    Or was this also done by modding the central connector?

This would mean that you can't choose it yourself if you want them to come on automatically or not at door-open, right?

I don't know if the coupe ever had this option, but on my vert I can also make the 2 little maplights come on or off with door-open. Actually I can set this function for all 3 lights independently, as all 3 lights have their own 3-way switch. "on/off/courtesy».
    I didn’t know conv. lamp has 3 same switches... in sedan, coupe, turing, compact it has 2 switches with 2 positions (on/off) for map reading lights and 1 with 3 positions (central one).
    So you can’t light them up when open the door... but it’s not difficult to replace map reading switches with those with 3 positions (and also need to do some soldering)

On the E38/E39 and all newer models, the lights are all controlled by a separate light module, which gives functions impossible to retrofit in our car. Like the way the steering wheel buttons are lit for example.

I knew this, that’s why we need to take off half of metal plate )
    p.s. whow is steering wheel? did you wired cruise to buttons?

And finally, did or didn't you hook the leds up to the interior dimmer switch? I did as this is how it is in the E38/E39. Although it's cool to just make them light maximum all the time, as I want it to be as original as possible, I wired them through the interior dimmer switch so they dimm with the rest of the interior lights.
    The leds connected to GRY-RED wire, this is the wire that comes from the dimmer. So yes, you can adjust them with other amber interior lights.
    Last edited by dancerst; 12-23-2010 at 10:35 AM.

My Cars
    6/96 318is
    Sorry for the little off-topic, but John, what is that black module at the left foreground? Doesn't seem familiar to me.
    That's a small controller that interfaces my ZKE and E39 dome light module to the overhead and footwell lights.

My Cars
    DE-spec E36 328i/M3 cab
    Quote Originally Posted by dancerst View Post
    I didn’t know conv. lamp has 3 same switches... in sedan, coupe, turing, compact it has 2 switches with 2 positions (on/off) for map reading lights and 1 with 3 positions (central one).
    So you can’t light them up when open the door... but it’s not difficult to replace map reading switches with those with 3 positions (and also need to do some soldering)

The leds connected to GRY-RED wire, this is the wire that comes from the dimmer. So yes, you can adjust them with other amber interior lights.
    Yes the vert has that. The vert seems to have more little extra gimmicks compared to the other models I have found out.

My steering wheel is fine. I haven't wired the cruise control buttons as I have no cruise control. I want to install that next year. Buttons will work too then.
    All the other buttons work, including the carphone buttons.

That's a small controller that interfaces my ZKE and E39 dome light module to the overhead and footwell lights.
    Hmm interesting. Looks like an original BMW part. So what exactly does it do? Is this to have it work like Dancerst did, without having to mod the light assembly itself?

Maybe this could be a solution for the steering wheel lights as well.
    Last edited by MParallel; 12-23-2010 at 12:11 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

IG:

My Cars
    E36 SC,E31 840ci,740iL
    I haven't wired the cruise control buttons as I have no cruise control. I want to install that next year. Buttons will work too then.
    If you have a questions... ask. I’ve done this already (I mean buttons) and it could be done in 2 ways...

My Cars
    6/96 318is
    Hmm interesting.... So what exactly does [the controller] do? Is this to have it work like Dancerst did, without having to mod the light assembly itself?
    Yes that and to make a few refinements, for example, to let you set the ambient light levels.
    Last edited by johnf; 12-23-2010 at 12:47 PM.

My Cars
    1996 523i sedan
    hi,

I'm wondering were I could find a grey/red 12+ feed for the diodes. Don't have a roof switch.

My car is a 1996 e39 523i which came without the diodes.

My Cars
    E36 SC,E31 840ci,740iL
    Quote Originally Posted by tim523 View Post
    hi,

I'm wondering were I could find a grey/red 12+ feed for the diodes. Don't have a roof switch.

My car is a 1996 e39 523i which came without the diodes.

You’ll find it in the light module connector. Behind the carpet from the passenger’s side.

My Cars
    BMW M3

Re

How complicated is to correct the lamp housing with file (or knife) and did you have to modify anything into the hedlining lamp insertion slot?

My Cars
    6/96 318is
    Do you have a coupe, sedan or convertible? Do you have a sunroof?

I found trimming the slight ribs off the e39 dome light was quick work. Shortening the sunroof access panel by 4mm to get the light to sit flush was more trouble. I had help from an experienced auto body shop guy. I didn't want to cut the sheetmetal which is probably a quicker solution.
    Last edited by johnf; 03-21-2011 at 09:14 AM.

My Cars
    BMW M3

Re

Mine is E36 coupe with sunroof.
    I had both dome lights E36 and E39 in hand and still no decision which one to use, it will be make the 5 series version fit or add the leds to 3 series.
    E38/39 version is same width but has slightly bigger body in front/back direction (about 3mm) and larger front lens (about 4mm).

My Cars
    BMW E36
    Hi Dancerst,please i need your help,please see what i wrote with white in this picture?Please can you explain me? Many thanks I don;t know how to upload this picture so please see this link http://www.2shared.com/photo/tS7eXbpC/e39.html

My Cars
    E36 SC,E31 840ci,740iL
    Quote Originally Posted by bogdan130686 View Post
    Hi Dancerst,please i need your help,please see what i wrote with white in this picture?Please can you explain me? Many thanks I don;t know how to upload this picture so please see this link http://www.2shared.com/photo/tS7eXbpC/e39.html
    1)You need to put a pin into it (pin3) and then solder...

2) Yes, you should cut only one (first) plate

3) yes, with pin 2 (it is ground wire)
    Last edited by dancerst; 03-23-2011 at 04:26 PM.

My Cars
    BMW E36
    Great,i think i understand now.One question Dancerst and is totally clear,the second plate of metal on the left side in this picture http://www.2shared.com/photo/83BbYjEC/81dbaa1d6ab1.html also need to cut? Many thanks

My Cars
    E36 SC,E31 840ci,740iL
    Quote Originally Posted by bogdan130686 View Post
    also need to cut?
    yes.

My Cars
    BMW E36
    Thank you

My Cars
    BMW M3

re

dancerst,
    can you please clarify, after your modification how does the E39 dome light function?
    1.Will the side map lights turn on/off from their SIDE switches?
    2.What functions does the CENTER switch now?

In other word, in addition to led lights, what is different now compared to E36 dome light?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast