Thread: Driver's Side Red Reflector Question

My Cars
    2000 Z3,

Driver's Side Red Reflector Question

Apparently when my car was repainted (before I got it) they did not know how to removed the things attached to the car, like WW nozzles, lights, badges and reflectors and broke them.

My reflector on the drivers side recently nearly fell off (front attachment broken) and I have the new one to put on.

Diagrams only show a clip like holder on the prong.

My question: How do I get behind the fender/bumper to get the clip off and then on. Is it in the truck or bumper or fender.

Taking the easy route and asking the experts here before I start taking the wrong things apart.

Thanks

Bill
    PS. Please don't tell me I have to take the wheel and fender well liner off. (fingers crossed)

My Cars
    z3
    I have a really thin-tipped plastic trim removal tool I love using for stuff like this. Slide it right under the reflector where the clip is then pry out slightly and then it should pull right out. You shouldn't need to remove the bumper or anything else to get access to it. It can (and is designed to) be accessed from the front.

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    36 Cylinders
    The above, or a used gift card/credit card and slide in there while pushing the bumper plastic strategically.
    -Abel

- E36 328is ~210-220whp: Lots of Mods.
    - 2000 Z3: Many Mods.
    - 2003 VW Jetta TDI Manual 47-50mpg
    - 1999 S52 Estoril M Coupe
    - 2014 328d Wagon, self-tuned, 270hp/430ft-lbs
    - 2019 M2 Competition, self-tuned, 504whp
    - 2016 Mini Cooper S

My Cars
    2000 Z3,
    It's already hanging very loose. Temporary velcroed cause that's all I had handy. Was gonna glue it but couldn't find my glue. So you're saying just go ahead and pull it off and there is nothing behind it like a clip that will fall down?

My Cars
    z3
    Its only held on with a clip that slides into place and a metal tab that holds it in place with pressure. If your reflector is already ready to fall out, one of the clips is broken and there is nothing thats going to fall out except the reflector. It attaches, for all intents and purposes, directly to the bumper. When the clip is removed there is just a reflector-shaped blank space there, there is nothing that is going to break/fall out on the bumper side. Just slide it out and slide the new unit in.

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    2016 Z4 3.5, 2017 X3
    Bill, Just for the purposes of clarity, are you talking about the reflector in the bumper or the one attached to the fender? I've been looking for a reflector for a fender and can't seem to find a source online.
    Mark

My Cars
    2000 Z3,
    I pulled the broken reflector off and heard a clink in the fender and was able to find the nut like fastener from inside the fender. Put the new reflector on but cannot reach the stub to put the nut back on. Skinned my 80 YO arm trying and will wait until my son gets here next week. Last picture the white teat like nub by the label is where the nut goes.

- - - Updated - - -

Markmo, I got mine from the dealer, about $24 (same as eBay) with BMWCC discount.
    Attached Images Attached Images

My Cars
    2000 Z3,
    Got it fixed! There is a screw at the lower front of the bumper that goes into the fender liner. I removed this screw and it allowed me to pull the bottom of the bumper down far enough to get my arm in and get the nut on and a socket to tighten it.

You can tell by the photo the painters didn't remove it to paint the car. Smoothed the ridge a bit but still noticeable if you look close. Oh well, it's a 20 footer anyway. And I boogered up my arm more even with a long sleeved shirt on.