Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread: E36 Aftermarket Amp

My Cars
    3 BMW's a Benz & a Truck

E36 Aftermarket Amp

Good Evening,

I have a question regarding the amplifier and sound system in my E36. I have the non HK system.

Headunit: Aftermarket Kenwood
    Front Kick Panel: Polk 5.25
    Door Panels: Stock Nokia Speakers
    Rear Deck: Kicker 6x9s

I have two 10s hooked up to a mono amp in the back to handle the bass. My stock amp seems like it is starting to cut it and out on certain channels. My question is can I simply run a 4,6, or 8 channel amp using the factory wires in the trunk? I am not an audiophile by any means but I do know what good systems sound like. Mine sounds good now but I know it can sounds better, especially with the speakers I have in there. Just looking for a little advice/guidance.

Thanks

-Fully Rebuilt M52-Ported & Polished Head-3 Angle Valve Job-S52 Cams-540 MAF-24lb Injectors-BBTB-Longtube Headers-TRM Tune-ZF 5 Speed Swap-M50 Manifold-AFE Stage II 3.5" CAI-Remus Exhaust-Rokkor Coilovers-Polyurethane Bushings-ZHP Shift Knob-Sport Seats-M-Technic Body-EBC Cross Drilled & Slotted Rotors-EBC Red Stuff Pads-Euro Foglights-DJ Auto-Clear Lights-M Tech Side Moldings-VDO Gauge Pod-BBS RC-M Tech 1 Steering Wheel-BSW D210-Motion Motorsport Under Panel
    Cars: 2005 BMW 545i-2004 BMW X5 4.4i-2004 BMW 645ci-1999 BMW 528i-1995 BMW 325is-1994 BMW 840i-1989 Mercedes-Benz 560SL-2001 Dodge Ram 2500 Turbo Diesel

My Cars
    1999 BMW M3 Coupe
    You already have an aftermarket deck, which should have RCA outputs on the back. Just buy some RCA cables and run them to the trunk! It's easy..

The current wires in your trunk are likely wired to your head unit's internal amplifier (high level output). The high level output could technically be wired into an amp, however you would have huge amounts of distortion due to the signal being amplified three different times. You would also have very poor control over the sound since the output voltage from the head unit would quickly become way higher than the amp's input was intended to handle.

Also, line out converters (which lower the voltage prior to the amp to reasonable levels) make your system sound like it's being filtered through mud. Don't even bother.

Best of luck!

My Cars
    3 BMW's a Benz & a Truck
    I completely forgot about the RCAs on the back of the deck. I know I have sub pre outs (how I ran my sub) but haven't had the unit out in a couple months. I'm pretty sure I have them. So once I run the RCAs to the back should I just power the rear 6x9s and kick panel 5.25s off the aftermarket amp and let the stock amp power the door speakers since they are original? Sorry for asking so many questions I know when it comes to sound systems there are so many choices and options to choose just not sure which way I want to go with it.

-Fully Rebuilt M52-Ported & Polished Head-3 Angle Valve Job-S52 Cams-540 MAF-24lb Injectors-BBTB-Longtube Headers-TRM Tune-ZF 5 Speed Swap-M50 Manifold-AFE Stage II 3.5" CAI-Remus Exhaust-Rokkor Coilovers-Polyurethane Bushings-ZHP Shift Knob-Sport Seats-M-Technic Body-EBC Cross Drilled & Slotted Rotors-EBC Red Stuff Pads-Euro Foglights-DJ Auto-Clear Lights-M Tech Side Moldings-VDO Gauge Pod-BBS RC-M Tech 1 Steering Wheel-BSW D210-Motion Motorsport Under Panel
    Cars: 2005 BMW 545i-2004 BMW X5 4.4i-2004 BMW 645ci-1999 BMW 528i-1995 BMW 325is-1994 BMW 840i-1989 Mercedes-Benz 560SL-2001 Dodge Ram 2500 Turbo Diesel

My Cars
    1993 BMW 325is
    Since an aftermarket amp would be significantly more powerful than factory, that would probably drown out the highs. I would suggest removing your kick speakers and getting a set of component speakers with tweeters mounted in factory location and the mid bass back in the kicks. Then the crossover could be run off the aftermarket amp and you could completely remove the factory amp
    '93 325is: ZF swap, Borla Type X muffler, cat delete, X Pipe, Tune, Powerflex bushings (subframe, diff, RTAB, LCAB), Apex ARC8's, Raceland Ultimos, Corbeau seat, Renown steering wheel, M3 front and rear bumpers, BMW motorsports moulding, Euro tails, Depo headlights (soon to be retrofitted)

My Cars
    1999 BMW M3 Coupe
    You're right. The crossovers for stock mid range and tweeters are built into the factory amp. Without them, you'll be sending the Nokias a full frequency range. I would get the Polk tweets/crossovers, or if you want to tie yourself over on the cheap, you can buy some fairly inexpensive passive crossovers to use with your Nokia mid range/tweeters. I've seen people using the AudioPipe 2 way crossovers for their stock tweeters with reportedly decent results (for stock tweets anyhow). They're only $15 or so on eBay.