Thread: If it's too good to be true...(or what ever could be wrong with with this 'for sale'?

My Cars
    2001 BMW Z3 Convertible

If it's too good to be true...(or what ever could be wrong with with this 'for sale'?

Hi everyone. I normally lurk in the X5 forum since we have a 2008 X5 4.8, as well as 'my baby', a 2002 Z3 3.0...

But when I was still looking for my daily driver, I had narrowed my list to either Z3s with a removable hardtop (since I personally don't like the way the Z3 coupes look) or Z4 coupes (since I personally don't like the way the Z4 removable hardtops look), and ended up with a Z3 with a removable hardtop. I DID, however, email a seller on one of the secondary sites (oodles.com) for a 2007 Z4 M coupe which was located pretty much about 50 miles from my house, although the asking price of '5.000 US$' made me nervous.

Thinking it was a simple spammer, I sent the email just because and then forgot about it.

A few days ago, I got an email from the seller, still with the $5k price, and when I checked the website again, placed the VIN number on the google search and got 'pinged' that it was a valid VIN for a Z4 M and registered in the area.

I am very very tempted to see if this is for real. I already know that I would expect a clean title, actual ownership of the car, and wondered if any of you would consider the price, well, decent considering the mileage (for an 07, has 68K+miles on it).

If I do decide to see this car, I plan to take two of my colleagues (one is an active duty Marine reserve, the other a retired Gunney), and have the car brought to a public place, but still....I know that people can sell cars, legitimately, for whatever price they want, but wondered if perhaps this might be legit.

If so, any ideas as to what else I can ask about the car?

The link to the car is here: http://usa.motoseller.com/c/sys.php?a=2&b=3249139

(please don't flame back; I just wonder, sometimes a good deal could be a good deal)

brandy

IMO, that's far too cheap for that car, unless it has some major issues. Still, looking is free, and it sounds like you have a plan. Seems to me, though, that someone would have already snapped up such a deal... Especially as good as that car looks in the pics. Noting wrong with the amount of miles on that year model...

Run the VIN on BMWVIN.COM and see what it gives you back... It's free...

Good luck... Come back and tell us what you found out...
    Last edited by Pyewacket69; 10-17-2014 at 03:43 PM.

My Cars
    z3
    If you cant recognize that as being an obvious scam you need to be VERY careful buying cars in the future. There ARE good deals to be had, but that is 1/6th of the LOW side of the retail value of that car.

I also didnt know they made a 12 cylinder, 5 door, AWD variant of the M Coupe. Interesting.

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    '03 Z4, '85 Subaru Wagon, '87 Suzuki Savage LS650
    Looks like a scam to me, but as others have said, it can't hurt to look. I wouldn't go out of my way though. Scammers often use cars being sold by others (like used car lots) in their ads, this way they check out when you run the vin.

I think I got my car for a good deal because the seller made a $1k typo but agreed to honor it if I bought the car.
    Not so much a signature as a cry for help.

Hold on, saw this in a cartoon once...think I can pull it off.

My Cars
    2004 Z4R 06&12 Cooper S
    Quote Originally Posted by BimmerBreaker View Post
    If you cant recognize that as being an obvious scam you need to be VERY careful buying cars in the future. There ARE good deals to be had, but that is 1/6th of the LOW side of the retail value of that car.

I also didnt know they made a 12 cylinder, 5 door, AWD variant of the M Coupe. Interesting.
    Not to mention
    Roof Rack Bench Seats and 8-Track Player
    04R 3l 6 sp VF SC, custom ducting, alphaN, 2.62 pulley, multiport WMI,Severn Tuning(Pokeybritches), Tial BPV,Ceramic header, magnaflow section 1, SS race muffler/y-pipe, megan mounts,42 design catch can, CDV delete ,custom strut bar,3.91 LSD, H&R bars, Hotchkis links.Eibach Pro Kit,Koni Yellows.Megan camber arms. Carbon interior,SSK,UUC lines.CF aero. Poly bushings.

Oodle is notorious for scam adds. The biggest problem is, people see the ads and want yours for the same price. In the past, I've encouraged them to contact the scam artists, but in this case, I'm changing my tune and recommending changing your email address quick.....

My Cars
    VF Z4, G-Power/ESS Z4Ms
    Quote Originally Posted by dbarton62 View Post
    Not to mention
    Roof Rack Bench Seats and 8-Track Player
    ...and towing package! I wish mine ran on regular gas too...
    VF Engineering Z4 3.0i | ESS VT2-500 Z4M | G-Power SK I Z4M | 996tt

OP, did you ever contact the seller to get the low-down on this vehicle?

My Cars
    '05 ZHP, '16 Golf R
    OBVIOUS scam. Period.-

Whoa.. the scam ad says 68,193 miles. Check the mileage a year ago when it was sold...

http://www.dfwautoclub.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=18629

Still think it's not a scam?
    Last edited by KevinC; 10-21-2014 at 12:40 AM.
    '08 Z4 M Coupé LM08602
    '19 Golf R

I thought my first post made it clear the sale was, at best, suspicious.

I was interested in whether or not the OP had made any efforts to actually see the car, because I was curious to hear what excuses the seller would make to prevent that from happening.

My Cars
    Quote Originally Posted by Pyewacket69 View Post
    ...to actually see the car, because I was curious to hear what excuses the seller would make to prevent that from happening.
    Actually, I'm sure the seller would welcome a visit by a very motivated, preferably cash laden buyer...perhaps at night, on a quiet street.

My Cars
    z3
    Quote Originally Posted by montaillou View Post
    Actually, I'm sure the seller would welcome a visit by a very motivated, preferably cash laden buyer...perhaps at night, on a quiet street.
    I dont think so. Even if there was an identical car in the area they could "show" a potential buyer, without a title, nobody is going to hand cash over...

These types of people advertise online to hopefully find a buyer who will send a money (or at least a "small" $500 non-refundable deposit...) sight unseen hoping for a good deal.

Always seemed a better choice to advertise such cars for a price they may actually sell for... like listing this one for $15,000 saying it was in a minor fender bender and just needs a new bumper or something. Something believable at least. But I guess it must work for them, since they keep doing it.

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS

I dont think so. Even if there was an identical car in the area they could "show" a potential buyer, without a title, nobody is going to hand cash over... These types of people advertise online to hopefully find a buyer who will send a money (or at least a "small" $500 non-refundable deposit...) sight unseen hoping for a good deal. Always seemed a better choice to advertise such cars for a price they may actually sell for... like listing this one for $15,000 saying it was in a minor fender bender and just needs a new bumper or something. Something believable at least. But I guess it must work for them, since they keep doing it.
    Maybe the car is currently owned by a Nigerian Prince that needs money to escape the Ebola outbreak, because his millions are tied up in non-liquid investments...

My Cars
    z3
    Quote Originally Posted by Pyewacket69 View Post
    Maybe the car is currently owned by a Nigerian Prince that needs money to escape the Ebola outbreak, because his millions are tied up in non-liquid investments...
    Silly Nigerian Princes... when will they learn?

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS

My Cars
    I dont think so.

My point was a buyer shows up and they rob him. Who cares if they've got a car to show...

My Cars
    '05 ZHP, '16 Golf R
    I had a car guy friend many, many years ago, who owned a sweet '60's Corvette, and a 914 (yeah, interesting combo). He put the 914 up for sale, in the local paper - pretty much the only way to do it at the time. A guy showed up, asked to take a test drive. My friend, naturally, accompanied him. The "buyer" shot him in the head, tossed his body into the bushes, and fled for LA (from the bay area). A week later, he was found driving the car, with the original plates on it. Arrested, slam-dunk murder conviction.

Moral of the story? Be very very careful who you're dealing with when buying/selling a car. Lots of bad hombres out there - including the pencil-putz who's advertising this car.
    '08 Z4 M Coupé LM08602
    '19 Golf R

My Cars
    2000 BMW Z3 COUPE 2.8
    WOW, sorry to hear that. I saw an episode on Criminal Minds different but similar at the same time. Serial killer Guy selling his car and advertising it in the newspaper. Ppl contact him, meet in a public place, drive off and kills them.

Before we all go off the deep end, let's try to keep this in context.

Tens of thousands of vehicles are sold in private sales yearly without any problems at all. No deaths. No injuries. No robberies.

In fact, bad guys trying to get your money don't want to see you, or be seen by you. All they want is your $$$, and the preferable way to get them is by scamming you into sending $$$ sight-unseen.

Also, there is the occasional "good deal" that really is a good deal. Back in 1971, a friend I grew up with responded to an ad in the local paper listing an Austin-Healey Bug-eyed Sprite for sale for the low price of $200 ( an incredibly low price even back then). He took the gamble and went to see the car.

Turns out, it belonged to a soldier who had bought it new, and it was in pristine condition. He had stored it sitting on on 4 jack posts in an enclosed garage while he was overseas. He had been killed in action in Vietnam Nam a couple of years earlier, and his mom had finally decided to let it go, but only to someone that reminded her of her son. My friend fit the bill enough to suit her, but he felt so bad about it that he insisted she take double the asking price---still a steal.

I rode all over Athens, GA with him while we were attending UGA in that car. After school, I lost touch with him, and I sometimes wonder if he still has the car.

My Cars
    2000 BMW Z3 COUPE 2.8
    +1

My Cars
    z3
    Idk man... every time I try to buy a car I get murdered, thats why I stopped buying used cars.

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS