Thread: Next car, having decision troubles.

My Cars
    98 M3 Cabrio

Next car, having decision troubles.

Yes, this is another 335i vs E46 M3 thread, and I've read most (if not all) of them.

Here's where I stand, hoping you guys can shed some light.

Max budget is 18k.
    Has to be manual and coupe. No SMG, Verts, or Sedans. Just..no.
    Don't care about color combo.
    Needs to be an 04-05 M3 or an 08 335i.

My heart is set on finding an E46 M3. If I purchase the car, it's going to be a car I keep forever. Granted, I'm 23, but It's a dream car of mine to own. I've previously had an E36 M3, and love the raw power and feel of the M cars. I've ridden in plenty of Ms as well, and feel the same way, even in the passenger seat. The ///M cars hold their value, their sought after, and they're all around fun.

I'm also going to daily drive the car. Right now, I have a 60/mi commute. I drove my E36 M3 on average 2,000mi/month. Until I find a closer job or move, this will be my commute. I'm feeling like the 335i will be more practical for that, while still allowing me to have fun with the car with Mountain drives, shows, etc.

Is the maintenance of the E46M really more than the 335i, considering I'm looking at an '08? Will valve adjustments kill my bank account more than the upkeep on a 335i? If the turbos fail, or the injectors, will that break my bank over the E46M?

I know some of you own one, owned both, currently own both. I really enjoy the raw power of the M, but I feel like driving the 335i will just be another BMW that won't hold it's value compared to the M and be...well..just another BMW.

Thoughts?
    '98 ///M 3/2/5 - Cosmos on Dove [SOLD]
    '08 335i Coupe - SGM/Grey | MHD Stage 2 93oct | Apex Arc-8 18x9.5 Black Chrome | Cp-e Charge Pipe | VRSF C****** Downpipes | VRSF 5" Stepped FMIC | AA BOV | DCI | BMS Cabin Filter | Custom-Mounted Nexus 7 infotainment tablet

My Cars
    z3
    I think the first time someone blows by you in a 335i youll regret the M3. They are beautiful cars but, the 335i has become the better enthusiast choice imho at least for those who care a lot about performance.

Have you considered a 135i? You can get an OEM 1M body kit for like $2,000 and a JB4 or similar tune to have obscene amounts of horsepower, the 1 series is similar to E46 size, very nimble and tossable.

Frankly either car will be expensive to maintain. Which one would be more expensive all comes down to how the previous owner maintained it.

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    98 M3 Cabrio
    I'm driving a 335i coupe right now. You're right. Totally worth it.

The 135i(s) are out of my price range still. I'll settle with the 335i for now.
    '98 ///M 3/2/5 - Cosmos on Dove [SOLD]
    '08 335i Coupe - SGM/Grey | MHD Stage 2 93oct | Apex Arc-8 18x9.5 Black Chrome | Cp-e Charge Pipe | VRSF C****** Downpipes | VRSF 5" Stepped FMIC | AA BOV | DCI | BMS Cabin Filter | Custom-Mounted Nexus 7 infotainment tablet

My Cars
    2003 325i
    Quote Originally Posted by BimmerBreaker View Post
    I think the first time someone blows by you in a 335i youll regret the M3. They are beautiful cars but, the 335i has become the better enthusiast choice imho at least for those who care a lot about performance.
    Obviously it's all personal choice, but I'd far rather have the M3, even if it's not as fast. Turbos keep me up at night. Next door neighbor just had his fail on his '12 Golf TDI with less than 60k. Two people where I work had turbo failures in the last 6-9 months (one was a newer BMW, not sure of year/model, and the other was a mid 2000s Audi). I would assume a turbo failure on the 335i would be very expensive if the OP couldn't do the work himself... if he could, obviously that would save a lot.

I'm a naturally aspirated guy I guess, less to worry about. But I'm also not a speed guy, I'm more about handling.

My Cars
    2009 BMW 135i
    Proper warm up, cool down, and regular oil changes will help turbo life quite a bit. Some of it's luck but turbos aren't too much of a worry for the most part especially on a stock tune.

Now saying that you would far rather have the M3 means that you probably ought to go that way. There will be plenty of 335s available later if you decide you want one of those too. 18k should get you a nice E46 as long as you're willing to drive a bit to get the right car.

My Cars
    1999 M3 , 1999 328is
    I will second that the 135i is a fun car, I recently test drove a used 2013 6 speed at the local dealer. It has pep, a lot of low end torque too but it isn't quite an M car.

I would suggest going for the M3, life is short, if you have the means buy the car and don't regret it. I am 23 as well and purchased one of my dreams, an e39 M5 last year, I have yet to regret the purchase one bit. For your price range a nice e39 M5 can be had, I know you like the handling but trust me the grunt of the M5 is something you can get addicted to as well. The M5 is certainly no slouch in the corners but it certainly isn't going to be an M3 either at 4k lbs.
    Current fleet:
    1999 BMW e36 M3
    1999 BMW e36 328is with rotary valve engine head
    1999 Oldsmobile Eighty Eight
    1990 Jeep Comanche Eliminator
    1962 Austin Healey Sprite

My Cars
    2013 135i, 1994 Jeep XJ

My Cars
    2005 ZHP
    E46 M3 looks better, but the E92 335i performs better. So that depends on what you value more.

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    Both are great cars. If you can give up needing an "M" then buy the 335i. It won't have the same racecar feel as the E46 but it is probably the better daily driver. Plenty of mods available if you want them.

When I was looking a few years ago, I thought the 135i felt most like my E36M3 (which is also turbocharged). But they do cost a little more.

I actually ended up buying an 08M3, but that cost a lot more.

My Cars
    2003.5 M3 Coupe,99M Coupe,99 M3 Vert
    Id go with the m3. I've had mine for almost seven years now and never stopped loving it. Resale is definitely easier, and IMO the cars a lot more fun to drive.