Thread: E39 540i M Sport Automatic as daily?

My Cars
    2004 Honda S2000

E39 540i M Sport Automatic as daily?

Hello,
    I have never owned a BMW, but am seriously considering one as a daily driver. I currently have an S2000, so I need something practical, comfortable, but I really don't want a boring accord or camry.
    The only downside is that my agreement with my wife is that if I were to get a second car, it'd have to be an automatic so that she can drive it when need arises. If I were to get manual, I would've gotten E39 M5 or E46 M3 hands down.
    Now with that said, the only other BMW that comes to my mind is the E39 540i w/ M sport package. The M62 engine is similar to the S62, although I terribly want the itb.. haha
    I've done a lot of searches, but it seems that majority of the enthusiasts' forum topics are for the manual gearbox.
    Other than all the other possible problems with the 540i maintenance, such as leaks in power steering fluid, engine oil, cooling system failures, etc., is there any specific issue with the automatic for this car? Does the auto version live up to the E39 540i name? If I'm going to ruin the car's dynamics by skipping the MT, i'd rather consider another car as daily.. What do you guys think?

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    E46M3 with SMG? SMG can have issues, but so can automatics as they age.

540i is old now, so be prepared to do some maintenance and repairs. Auto is definitely slower than manual.

I would go for E90 or E92 335i automatic. It is a good shifting auto that is not much if any slower than the manual. Newer, more modern, more comfortable, higher performing, etc. My preference would be 2007-2010 with N54.

My Cars
    z3
    Not sure what above poster is talking about but the E39 540i is an extremely reliable car, save for a few issues (which ALL BMWs, new or old, have) it will be great daily. I wouldn't tie myself to the M-sports though as they weren't that different from other 540i's and really the differences dont justify the pricetag. E39s make great daily drivers. I would also look at 530i's as they have more punch than you might expect and are genuinely good cars.

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    2001 BMW M5, 2013 N55 X3
    I daily a 2000 540i Sport and I love it. Comfortable, easy to drive, still fun to drive, has the features you want in a daily. Mine has been very reliable, 115k and no real issues other than an oil pan gasket leak, easy fix though. E39's are not great in the snow, but that wont be an issue in CA. Just be sure you find one that has been well maintained. Here in WA they either seem to be enthusiast owned or trashed.

My Cars
    2020 X3M Competition
    I daily drove a E39 540i for a while... had almost zero problems with it.
    Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by hundreds of engineers that get paid thousands of dollars for something you bought at Pep Boys because your buddy who doesn't have a job told you it was 'better'?!?

My Cars
    F80 M3, 95 325is
    Genuine 2003 540i M sport will be as pricey as an M5. For that money I would consider 335i/135i

Any 540i you'll find will be at least 11 years old, and will need a decent amount of upkeep. Not to mention timing chain tensioner problems, aging cooling system and whatnot. For a DD, I think 530i sport will be more than enough. Not to mention all 6 cylinder e39s have a rack and pinion compared to recirculating ball in V8 models
    Lazy Saturday drive in my E34: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TnzvZgPnOos