Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Why is the E46 M3 the most loved generation of M3s?

My Cars
    z3
    Kevlar, I was under the impression the euro E46 M3 got cross drilled brakes where US got solid in addition to the numerous exhaust differences. It was a huge step up from the E36 M3 which was really just a more souped up 328is, but I thought we still got screwed out of a few of the better parts with the E46 M3. In fact I thought this trend was still continuing today, I know E60/E63/E92 guys lost a few goodies vs their euro counterparts and I thought it was still happening, mostly as a way of getting the costs of their US-sold cars down to reasonable levels

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    2020 X3M Competition
    Quote Originally Posted by BimmerBreaker View Post
    Kevlar, I was under the impression the euro E46 M3 got cross drilled brakes where US got solid in addition to the numerous exhaust differences. It was a huge step up from the E36 M3 which was really just a more souped up 328is, but I thought we still got screwed out of a few of the better parts with the E46 M3. In fact I thought this trend was still continuing today, I know E60/E63/E92 guys lost a few goodies vs their euro counterparts and I thought it was still happening, mostly as a way of getting the costs of their US-sold cars down to reasonable levels
    There will forever be slight differences ... but the vast differences between the two markets closed drastically with the E46 M3. The motor being a big one, the cross drilled rotors another (not sure if they were standard equipment or dealership installed after the fact. The 19" wheels also were European only offerings until '03 which I completely understood as the US market was not ready to mount/balance a 19in tire (my first 19" tire was mounted/balanced at a truck stop because I couldn't find anywhere to do it).
    Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by hundreds of engineers that get paid thousands of dollars for something you bought at Pep Boys because your buddy who doesn't have a job told you it was 'better'?!?

My Cars
    545i, 740i, 320i
    The E46 M3 was never a saloon, the last M saloon to have an N/A I6 was the E36 M3
    I was referring to the E46 M3 as a 2dr Saloon (3 box design) as opposed to the M Roaster basedM Coupe. The e46 M3 was the last N/A I6 Saloon based model BMW produced.

My Cars
    SR-71 Blackbird
    Okay, which M3 are we talking about?

My Cars
    E36 M3
    I'm actually pretty surprised at the responses here. Whenever I talk about M3s with my peers, the E46 is always the one spoken about. Even a quick search on YouTube will show what I mean. Type in every generation of M3 on YouTube and the E46 has the most compilation videos. There's even a video with almost 2 million views titled something along the lines of "Why you should own an E46 M3"

Every other generation just has simple reviews. From what I've experienced in person and what I've seen on sites like YouTube, the E46 is the most widely talked about M3

I understand the E30 is the one most revered by enthusiasts, but I'm not talking about just the hardcore enthusiasts. I'm talking about the general population and from what I've seen the general population favors the E46

My Cars
    02 M62 Dinan 5 (SLOW)
    Honestly IMO the e46 was the first M3 where the power exceeded the capability of the world famous chassis. The e36 and e30 were both wonderful cars, simply because the power produced by the engine was not overbearing on the chassis. Those cars could be driven flat out without massive amounts of skill. Sometimes IMO having the power be sacrificed for the joy of not having the fear when behind the wheel is necessary. Thats why AWD Audi's and porsche boxsters, caymans, and non turbo 911's are becoming ever so popular. Not that they are a better car, but the power is ACCESSIBLE. Any everyday driver can drive at WOT without getting scared. No doubt after we get used to cars, the power becomes a lot easier to use, then we modify. All these electronic nannies applied today are BECAUSE of the power these modern day M's put out. It has to be babysat by the computers so the driver feels in control. The e30 and e36 are cars that can be driven hard, the driver feels like Superman, and the less refined car felt faster anyway. 120 in an e36 feels way faster than the 155 limiter in an e92. Also I feel like in the nostalgic BMW's of the past all the analog gauges and controls were "rifle chamber slide-esque" in their function and there is something primal in that. Rowing your own gears, clicking on your own lights, tapering the throttle when traction is compromised, these things get any PETROsexual's (ya i said that) blood running. If money were on the line, id take current gen M3's, but in terms of just enjoying a good drive, im off to the used car lot, and the 40,000 i save is sure a lot of modifications!

My Cars
    02 M62 Dinan 5 (SLOW)
    You guys I think we have strayed from the point. I have had a lot of experience with all the M3's and honestly the e46 was the first M3 where the motor out-balanced the world class chassis. To SOME people, a well balanced car is as simple as a front inline engine, manual transmission, and rear drive. The second thing any enthusuast will consider is the balance of the engine, stopping power, and chassis. The M3 was world famous for this balance. The e30 and e36 could be driven at the edge by any everyday enthusuast. The power was accessible, and didnt need all the electronic nannies to babysit the power all the time. The balance between the power output and chassis capability were spot on. The e46 was introduced and suddenly the common man couldnt drive the new car the same way the e36 allowed him to drive. Suddenly fear was introduced. And if he did take that car to the top of its ability, it was the computers doing the work, without them a crash was inevitable. No doubt they are wonderful cars. But that guy who just wanted a fun to drive BMW, could go buy a 330ci that performed very similiar to his e36M or maybe even better in the ZHP. This continues today. The new M3 has over 100 more ft/lbs, and so it needs a trick M5 diff, faster processing ability for the stability and traction control systems, a lot more rubber, brakes, and therefore, a WAY higher price tag. Now its an unaffordable super saloon that needs maintenance like you wouldnt believe. My e60 M5 takes 10 quarts of 10-70 race oil. The oil alone is $300. They have put the car out of the enthusiasts hands. Rich guys that want to buy the most expensive 3 series buy them. The e46 was closer to the e36 than the e92, but it was the beginning of the end. Ill take my cash to the used car dealer, put 10 grand in mods, and pocket the other 30.

My Cars
    z3
    Quote Originally Posted by 1gr8e39 View Post
    My e60 M5 takes 10 quarts of 10-70 race oil.
    Just sayin' but the S85 uses 10w60 not 10w70

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    02 M62 Dinan 5 (SLOW)
    Put it this way. If you were a TRUE M3 enthusiast, and had 20k to spend, would you just buy a stock e46, or do you buy the e36 and spend 10 grand making that car not only fast, but a world class driver? You could rebuild that car front to back. It would be lighter, more fun to drive, cheaper and easier to work on, AND a proper classic. Remember I said TRUE enthusiast. Like this one

- - - Updated - - -

ya I mistyped, but thanks lol

- - - Updated - - -

thats a sedan even, but i'd take it 10 times out of 10

- - - Updated - - -

My Cars
    02 M62 Dinan 5 (SLOW)
    yeah I mistyped, actually I started ordering Liquid Moly off AmAzon and I save tons of these guy$

- - - Updated - - -

Im really into this thread lol, think about the frill to cost ratio of an e36 to an e92. $7,500 versus $45,000. Is the e92 really 6 full times more fun, fast, or better looking? Unless what you REALLY care about is status, place in society, or 0-60 times, the e36 is more than enough. And to compare the cost of the e36 new vs. the e46 or e92 is the same figures, twice the frill? I dont think so. Now i wish I had an e36M to jump into and hit the highway...

My Cars
    2015 BMW M235i
    Quote Originally Posted by CMG View Post
    E46 is neither iconic or most loved.
    Give it a few years.

The same thing could've been said about the E30/E30 M3 in the mid 90's. In 10+ years, clean E46 M3's will be fetching a premium, just as the E30 M3 is now

2015 M235i 6MT

My Cars
    2020 X3M Competition
    I'd buy an E46 M3 over an E36 M3 any day.
    Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by hundreds of engineers that get paid thousands of dollars for something you bought at Pep Boys because your buddy who doesn't have a job told you it was 'better'?!?

My Cars
    1991 325i
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevlar View Post
    I'd buy an E46 M3 over an E36 M3 any day.
    Even euro spec?
    1991 BMW 325i(Current Daily) (S52)
    I have carburetors, and I'm not afraid to use them!
    There are always other fish (engines) in the sea (Craigslist)
    Life is about enjoying the engine you are sitting behind.

My Cars
    2020 X3M Competition
    Quote Originally Posted by Rudolph320i View Post
    Even euro spec?
    Yes... without a doubt. The E46 M3, while bigger, was a better car in every way in my opinion. I had both and while the E36 M3 has a special place in my heart, there is no way to beat the refinement of the E46 M3 in comparison. Yes you can buy a cheaper car and throw parts and it to make it faster. I can buy a bathtub for $500 and spend the rest on making it fast, doesn't mean I'd want to drive it everyday.

My Cars
    1991 325i
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevlar View Post
    Yes... without a doubt. The E46 M3, while bigger, was a better car in every way in my opinion. I had both and while the E36 M3 has a special place in my heart, there is no way to beat the refinement of the E46 M3 in comparison. Yes you can buy a cheaper car and throw parts and it to make it faster. I can buy a bathtub for $500 and spend the rest on making it fast, doesn't mean I'd want to drive it everyday.
    True, Ive driven an e46 M3 but never a euro e36 M3, or even a US spec e36 M3 for that matter.

My Cars
    ( ͡° ͜ʖ*)
    Quote Originally Posted by JeremyClarkson View Post
    Also this classic:
    I was on the "Eclipse" forums same time as this guy when it happened. He became the laughing stock of the forums for some time for that. Good times

As for my $.02 You have to look at two key things right now. One, it was a heavily produced vehicle. The original M3 (e30) was made in much smaller volume. Realizing the love for it, BMW ramped up production with the e36 m3 and again with the e46. So there are a lot of them out there.

Second, they are "cheap" now a days relatively speaking, so a lot of boy racers drop every penny they have to buy one and then soon wreck it because they can't drive.

So an abundant supply at a "low" cost makes them a popular choice. Are they "The" M3, no. To any serious car person the E30 will always be "The" M3. To the boy racer crowd the e46 M3 will be the one to get because the E30's are hard to find and procure when compared and e46's are a dime a dozen.
    Last edited by spoonerDee; 10-16-2014 at 09:26 AM.

My Cars
    1991 325i
    I remember that video "my dad is gonna be so pissed" lol

My Cars
    M3, 525i
    I think the debate of which M3 is the most iconic is forever on-going but I think the leader is the e30 M3. I think most enthusiasts of BMW would say it is the e30, really how could it not be at this point. Low production numbers, even few survivors, drastic difference of the widebody versus regular e30, etc. A lot of people like to say the e36 isn't even in the discussion because of the lack of ITB's. I disagree with that, yeah it's not as awesome as the euro M's of the same chassis but they're still quite a bit different than a normal 328is. I think the e46 M3 is starting to catch on because for the first time they can be had in the $15k range, some even a little cheaper. I honestly feel like so many e43 M3 guys that have recently bought them are new to BMW's in general so it is the only M3 they know, I know this isn't the case on bf.c but for some guys it is. I think the e36 and e46 M3's were way too over produced to be considered iconic, at least e36 M3's are starting to fall off in numbers as guys are starting to destroy them.
    2004 BMW 525i - Daily Beater

The Toys/Projects:

1996 BMW ///M3
    1994 Jeep Wrangler
    1993 Range Rover Classic SWB
    1987 VW Scirocco 16V

My Cars
    02 M62 Dinan 5 (SLOW)
    I agree with everybody. I guess I went off into the idea of what makes a great drivers car, there is endless opinions on this. We are all right

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12