Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why is the E46 M3 the most loved generation of M3s?

My Cars
    E36 M3

Why is the E46 M3 the most loved generation of M3s?

Generally speaking of course. Obviously everyone has their own taste, but from what I've noticed from real life experience and reading through various BMW forums, the E46 M3 is generally "the" M3. Why is this? The E92 pretty much spanks the E46 in every way possible IMO and the numbers don't lie. So why is there so much extra emphasis on the E46 when the subject of M3s comes up?

Yes this is a serious thread. I already know some people are going to shake their heads at this question because I sound like such a noob, but every generation of the M3 tops the numbers of the previous generation

I guess I'm just wondering what it is about the E46 that makes it so iconic

My Cars
    z3
    Well first of all, it isn't

Secondly, it's because the E46 M3 was the last analog car in an increasingly digital world. It was incredibly practical, fun to drive, fast, nimble, comfortable, beautiful. M3's are supposed to be cars you can take to the grocery store on monday and the track on saturday, and the E46 M3 was well suited to that and was very "M3-ish"

Thirdly, the "most loved" M3 always seems to be whatever M3 is about 2 generations old. Mindsets will shift in due time

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    545i, 740i, 320i
    I'd say that the E30 M3 is the only iconic M3 as it was the first of the bunch.

When it comes to performance cars the the "end of an era" cars always carry a certain popularity with enthusiasts. The 993 was the last of the air-cooled 911s and will always be more popular than the 996. The E46 was the last of the analog NA six cylinder M3s in the same way that the E39 was the last of the NA V8 M5s. So it's likely that they will always keep an enthusiast following.

The e46 also has now reached a price point were they are a very compelling $/performance proposition.

My Cars
    z3
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheyne View Post
    ... in the same way that the E39 was the last of the NA V8 M5s.
    You know only ONE M5 ever had a N/A V8 right? E28, E34 were I6, E60 V10, F10 TT V8.

So last, yes, but also first... and only two M3's had the straight sixes so I don't personally understand the "last of N/A I6" argument either

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS

My Cars
    1995 M3, 1985 745i , S13 240sx sr20det
    E46 is neither iconic or most loved.

95 BMW M3 Alpine-
    <GO...JIC Cross Coilovers- UUC RCAB, AKG FCAB, Rogue Engineering TM bushings- AA Gen3 Exhaust- Dinan F&R Strut Bars- Dinan F&R Sway Bars- X-Brace- Mishimoto Rad- BBS RK 17x8"- TRM Chip- Dinan BBTB- DIY CAI- JP Performance Headers- 21.5 injectors- JB Racing Flywheel- Bimmerworld TB boot- 540i MAF><SHOW...OE euro clear exterior lights- Depo w/ HID- Hurricane Alcantara interior- Stereo (Kenwood,Sony,MB Quart,Rockford Fosgate,JL Audio)- Black kidneys- Euro 3 Spoke- ZHP Knob- AutoDim Mirror>

My Cars
    1999 m3 coupe
    I think it's more popular in America because it has so much more hp than the e36. From what I have been told, in Europe, the e36 is more favored

My Cars
    s50 swapped 318i, e30ix
    I think it has a lot to do with the purity of it's purpose and lack of compromise in it's design. Similar to the e30 m3 in that it shared very few parts with the rest of the lineup AND it only came in a coupe. Yet still very practical as an everyday car.
    ​ CLICK BELOW TO FIND OUT MORE ABOUT MY BUSINESS AND HOBBY.

My Cars
    E36 M3 , E39 540is
    Quote Originally Posted by CMG View Post
    E46 is neither iconic or most loved.
    +1
    "Racing is life, anything that happens before or after is just waiting" -Steve McQueen

"Sex is safe & racing is dangerous" -Hans-Joachim Stuck

My Cars
    E30 (Delores), W123
    Another thing to throw in is that for a long time BMW's were famous for their inline 6's. The E46 M3's S54 engine could be considered the pinnacle of a BMW I6 before everything shifted.

My Cars
    E36/4/5
    Quote Originally Posted by E36md View Post
    I think it's more popular in America because it has so much more hp than the e36. From what I have been told, in Europe, the e36 is more favored
    This

My Cars
    1997 Estoril M3 Coupe
    There are more to cars than numbers...

Yea the e46 was a huge let down in Europe. More weight with marginally more hp. Is DBW still considered analogue?

I still think the e30 is the pinnacle; it had a very specific goal, did it well and had the least amount of compromise.

My Cars
    2016 BMW M4 Cabriolet
    They are affordable for a lot of people who can't afford the E9x M3. Plus the E9x M3 has only recently started dropping in price much with the M4 coming out; before not as many people could afford one.

And the E46 M3 is a pretty car that you can drive around to and from work and to get your groceries, and then also drive the shit out of it and have a huge smile on your face.
    Last edited by shiftmygears; 10-11-2014 at 09:31 PM.

My Cars
    GTS, E30
    Quote Originally Posted by KevRC4130 View Post
    Another thing to throw in is that for a long time BMW's were famous for their inline 6's. The E46 M3's S54 engine could be considered the pinnacle of a BMW I6 before everything shifted.
    I would agree with this. The engine, not the entire car is what the e46 is most known for.

As far as most loved, I don't think it is. It has the best mix of luxury, practicality, features, sportiness and rawness of any generation, but that doesn't make it any more loved than any other generation that I've noticed.

My Cars
    skateboard
    The e46 m3 sure does have the best motor bmw has made thus far. It's also a great looking car, but its not cheap to maintain like most real M cars. Would I choose it over a euro e36 m3? Yes. Would I choose it over a e36 m3 us spec with a s54 swap done correctly? NO
    “If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.”
    ― George Orwell

My Cars
    E36/4/5
    Quote Originally Posted by GG///M3 View Post
    The e46 m3 sure does have the best motor bmw has made thus far. It's also a great looking car, but its not cheap to maintain like most real M cars. Would I choose it over a euro e36 m3? Yes. Would I choose it over a e36 m3 us spec with a s54 swap done correctly? NO
    Huh?

My Cars
    Quote Originally Posted by GG///M3 View Post
    I second that huh? This makes no sense.....at all

95 BMW M3 Alpine-
    <GO...JIC Cross Coilovers- UUC RCAB, AKG FCAB, Rogue Engineering TM bushings- AA Gen3 Exhaust- Dinan F&R Strut Bars- Dinan F&R Sway Bars- X-Brace- Mishimoto Rad- BBS RK 17x8"- TRM Chip- Dinan BBTB- DIY CAI- JP Performance Headers- 21.5 injectors- JB Racing Flywheel- Bimmerworld TB boot- 540i MAF><SHOW...OE euro clear exterior lights- Depo w/ HID- Hurricane Alcantara interior- Stereo (Kenwood,Sony,MB Quart,Rockford Fosgate,JL Audio)- Black kidneys- Euro 3 Spoke- ZHP Knob- AutoDim Mirror>

My Cars
    E30 (Delores), W123
    I second that huh? This makes no sense.....at all
    I think he's saying that if both cars had the same engine (S54), he'd take an E36 M over and E46 M.

My Cars
    z3
    Its pretty clear to me

He'd take a euro E36 M3 over an E46 M3, and a S54-swapped US E36 over an E46 M3...

Also FWIW, most of you guys talking about the euro M3 are talking about the 3.2, the earlier 3.0 ones didn't pack quite the same punch

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS

My Cars
    Follow the logic. If you like how e46 looks and you like the engine then why choose just e36 with engine? If you want the weight and handling of e36 then how is a euro engine no better than s54, since according to him the s54 is expensive to maintain, which is the main detraction of the euro engines. If the s54 is supposedly the best engine bmw made then slap it in an e30 m3 for the best of both worlds since e30 rules e36 in weight and size and handling.

95 BMW M3 Alpine-

My Cars
    E368x2 / F15
    The E46 M3 is in my opinion the perfected version of the E36. I've owned two very clean E36 M3s and the E46 trumps the E36 in every regard.

EDIT: The E9x chassis is alooooot more expensive to maintain than the E46. I feel sorry for the people who are scooping up high mileage examples for 25-30k right now.
    Last edited by Msilvia; 10-12-2014 at 04:02 AM.

My Cars
    545i, 740i, 320i
    Quote Originally Posted by BimmerBreaker View Post
    You know only ONE M5 ever had a N/A V8 right? E28, E34 were I6, E60 V10, F10 TT V8.

So last, yes, but also first... and only two M3's had the straight sixes so I don't personally understand the "last of N/A I6" argument either
    I am aware that the e39 is the only N/A V8 M5 to be made. That's what will ensure that is stays a collectors car in the M5 world, it was the first and last of its kind and IMO marked the end of the M5 as a super saloon. The e60 moved it more into hyper saloon territory and the F10 has become more socially responsible in its performance. So the e39 is the last of the raw M5s.

The E46 may have been only the second (and last) M3 to have an I6, but it was also the last of the //M saloons to have a N/A I6 so that will always mark it out as a special place in //M car history.

That's what I meant by end of era cars. Generally, cars that mark the beginning or end of an era carry a stronger legacy.
    Last edited by Cheyne; 10-12-2014 at 04:06 AM.

My Cars
    1989 BMW 325i
    Lol...who tf said e46 m3 is THE m3. Sorry made me laugh

My Cars
    04 330ci 6spd
    Because when it came out in 2001 nothing could touch it. Nowadays an Mustang GT can come close to M3 performance.

Also this classic:

My Cars
    z3
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheyne View Post
    ...but it was also the last of the //M saloons to have a N/A I6 so that will always mark it out as a special place in //M car history.
    The E46 M3 was never a saloon, the last M saloon to have an N/A I6 was the E36 M3
    Follow the logic. If you like how e46 looks and you like the engine then why choose just e36 with engine? If you want the weight and handling of e36 then how is a euro engine no better than s54, since according to him the s54 is expensive to maintain, which is the main detraction of the euro engines. If the s54 is supposedly the best engine bmw made then slap it in an e30 m3 for the best of both worlds since e30 rules e36 in weight and size and handling.
    He never said he liked the looks of the E46 more than the E36, he never said cost of maintenance was a factor in the decision, he never said a euro engine was as good or better than an S54, only that he would take a euro engined E36 over a E46 M3. He also never mentioned E30... sounds like your trying to tell him his opinion is wrong

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS

My Cars
    2020 X3M Competition
    E46 M3 was the M3 that once again brought back the European E46 M3 to US shores. It came with the engine, wheels and cross drilled brakes that were only offered over seas as opposed to the US spec E36 M3 which didn't get all the goodies the rest of the world received.
    Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by hundreds of engineers that get paid thousands of dollars for something you bought at Pep Boys because your buddy who doesn't have a job told you it was 'better'?!?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast