Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cage

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3

Cage

Question...where or how does one go about finding a cage builder? I would like to get a few quotes and designs to pick from.

NeilM is offline Member BMW E36 M3 Expert
    My Cars
    96 M3, 15 Golf R, 18 Q5
    Fall Line in Chicago fab good cages, although they're quite expensive. However easily the better option, if you're willing to travel somewhat farther, is Mark McMahan in the Akron, OH area. He's considered by many to be the most skilled cage builder in the Midwest. He's also very familiar with BMW's. See http://www.rollcageguy.com

Neil

modernbeat is offline Senior Member Supporting Vendor
    My Cars
    Caged
    I'd also go to a race and look at cages and talk to the owners about who built their cage and how they like it. There are a lot of small fitment concerns to a cage that make entry/egress, head and elbow room, and maintenance and repair easier, but aren't evident from a quick glance. The quality of the construction and engineering is easier to check with an inspection.
    Jason McDaniel at Vorshlag

My Cars
    E39 M5 Racer, 97 M3
    Whomever you choose, don't go cheap with your cage. If you're prepared to spend 2-3k on brakes you better be prepared to spend 3-5k on a quality cage.

Last edited by thedizzle; 10-09-2014 at 01:36 PM.

My Cars
    '95 Avus M3
    You can try The Arc Asylum in De Pere. His work from his facebook page. thearcasylum@gmail.com

A few more shops you can ask Rawsomotion (Germantown). You can also ask Mueller Motorwerks (Kohler) or Kummrow (Milwaukee) if they know anyone. Also E-Fab down in the Chicago area!
    Last edited by gsxify; 10-09-2014 at 01:54 PM.

My Cars
    3 - E30 M3s, '04 Ford F350, '06 Audi A3
    If you choose someone other than say Fall Line or Mark McMahon,,, look at their previously built cages.
    Look particularly at how close they get the cage to the A pillars, B pillars and Roof.
    Are their welds pretty?

You want the cage tucked as close as possible to the car, no gaps, the angles should be parallel and tight. The guys who do that, are also paying attention to all the other details.

This example on Mark McMahon's website is a perfect example of how you want it done.

If you can wrap your hand around a cage builders tube where it runs along the A pillar or B pillar, along the roof line above the windshield, or roof line next to the drivers head keep looking.
    Last edited by jimmypet; 10-09-2014 at 11:47 PM.
    jimmy p.

88 E30 M3 Zinnoberot - street
    88 E30 M3 Lachsilber - SCCA SPU
    87 E30 M3 Prodrive British Touring Car 2.0 Litre
    04 Ford F350 - V10
    06 Audi A3 Brilliant Red / 2.0 / DSG

My Cars
    Spec E30
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmypet View Post
    ... how close they get the cage to the A pillars, B pillars and Roof ... If you can wrap your hand around a cage builders tube where it runs along the A pillar or B pillar, along the roof line above the windshield, or roof line next to the drivers head keep looking.
    I've always thought this was conventional wisdom too, but some recent factory race cars from BMW would fail that test, especially at the A-pillar. Thoughts?
    Ed Phillips // Spec E46 (build in progress)
    Past: Spec E30 and GTS3

My Cars
    E39 M5 Racer, 97 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by EdP View Post
    I've always thought this was conventional wisdom too, but some recent factory race cars from BMW would fail that test, especially at the A-pillar. Thoughts?
    The Z4s have double A Pillar bars which is why you can grab a bar at the A Pillar.

My Cars
    Spec E30
    Quote Originally Posted by thedizzle View Post
    The Z4s have double A Pillar bars which is why you can grab a bar at the A Pillar.
    Right, but even the forward bar is not particularly tight against the A-pillar. Would seem like a good idea to have the A-pillar bar a little less raked and a little more vertical (or have two bars).
    Ed Phillips // Spec E46 (build in progress)
    Past: Spec E30 and GTS3

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3
    Hey all, thanks for all the info! It is appreciated. The only thing that sucks is waiting for the cage to be put in and not being able to assemble the interior.

My Cars
    E39 M5 Racer, 97 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by EdP View Post
    Right, but even the forward bar is not particularly tight against the A-pillar. Would seem like a good idea to have the A-pillar bar a little less raked and a little more vertical (or have two bars).
    My best guess is they're trying to center/lower all of the weight as much as possible forming a tight "cockpit" around the driver. Just a guess but seeing how much better the Z4 is in aero and handling compared to the rest.

My Cars
    2002, e30 M3, 535
    Quote Originally Posted by crc13 View Post
    The only thing that sucks is waiting for the cage to be put in and not being able to assemble the interior.
    The cage build is perhaps the most important aspect of your racecar. Both for safety as well as structural strength if you also build your cage for that. And one little mistake and you'll have to live with it for years.

Build your cage now. Start reassembling after Christmas.

And don't drive on streets with a cage.

Lee
    1969 2002 racecar + 1989 e30 M3 racecar

My Cars
    90 325i, 04 330i ZHP
    Another WI option is Chris Taylor who works out of CS Motorsports in Lannon. He did my SE30 cage, very tight to the A and B pillars and roof.

In the Midwest region SE30 paddock, there are cages by McMahan, E-Fab, Izzy's, and a few other builders. As others have said if you're looking to be on the track by the early spring, work on booking a cage builder now.

My Cars
    88 M5 FOR SALE, E92 335i
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmypet View Post
    If you can wrap your hand around a cage builders tube where it runs along the A pillar or B pillar, along the roof line above the windshield, or roof line next to the drivers head keep looking.
    I'd be careful on that one. It's easy to get the A and B pillars close, but can you weld the door bars? I've seen SO many cages that were tight against the body with absolutely no way to weld the bars all the way around. Tall drivers need the B-pillar roll hoop farther back, and in a 2-door, that does not leave room to weld the door bars.
    James Muskopf
    RRT Racing
    DC Metro's premier BMW service and racing facility

My Cars
    X5M, S50 ti
    Another option in Wisconsin is DCA race fab in LaCrosse. He started as a circle track chassis builder, now he does everything. I know of 5 cars (e46m, e36m, chump cars) he's built cages in, including mine. Quality is first rate.

My Cars
    '66 DVC '95 325ic
    Quote Originally Posted by Massive Lee View Post
    The cage build is perhaps the most important aspect of your racecar. Both for safety as well as structural strength if you also build your cage for that. And one little mistake and you'll have to live with it for years.

Build your cage now. Start reassembling after Christmas.

And don't drive on streets with a cage.

Lee
    I'm not trying to start an argument. What is your concern about driving on the street with a cage?

I know quite a few guys that have street-able track cars with a cage. Not saying they are correct or anything. Just searching for info.

My Cars
    M3s
    Quote Originally Posted by fuggle View Post
    I'm not trying to start an argument. What is your concern about driving on the street with a cage?

I know quite a few guys that have street-able track cars with a cage. Not saying they are correct or anything. Just searching for info.
    Unless you are wearing helmet your head will be right next to cage....

My Cars
    96 328is 6.0L

The anology would be to ride a crutch rocket bike without a helmet.
    - 96 328is 6.0L. (LS1 to LS2 build thread: http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...ad.php?2098938)
    - 96 328is 5.7L. (LS1 build thread: http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1289987)
    - 95 ///M3 6.0L. (LS2 build thread: http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1619249)

- 97 ///M3. (e46 Fender Flares/track car build thread: http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1727098)
    - 96 328is (Dual Fuel Pump to Surge Tank thread: http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...ad.php?1964025)

My Cars
    2002, e30 M3, 535

Well. Roll cages are designed to be used in conjunction with a racing harness that allows no body movement, and a helmet to protect your head. You wouldn't want your body, and especially your head, to bounce around those steel tubes in the smallest impact. No more helmet to protect your head, and no more harness to keep your body still. ;-) The smallest impact could be lethal...

My Cars
    97 328is 02 e46 330xi
    Not trying to hijack the thread here but since it's being talked about what your take on half back cage for hpde car that you can drive to the track since I agree on previous post about a full cage.

My Cars
    2002, e30 M3, 535
    Roll bar is safe. ;-)

My Cars
    2004 M3
    Not knowing where you are in WI, if you are in the southern part of the state I would recommend Vulcan Racing Fab. You can find pics of the build here . Great work. Great fab and welds.

For what it''s worth, I've spent a fair amount of money with big shops, and unless you have a grand-am budget, your project is their last priority. Just my $.02.

Quote Originally Posted by autowa View Post
    Not trying to hijack the thread here but since it's being talked about what your take on half back cage for hpde car that you can drive to the track since I agree on previous post about a full cage.
    Any roll bar/cage tubes in the car while on street increases risk IMO.....there is no textbook black/white answer on this. And my track car is driven to tracks..w/ a 4 pt RB...........................but I wear my helmet at all times. .....its a sacrifice i make.
    Last edited by jrkoupe; 10-20-2014 at 06:31 PM.

My Cars
    96 328is 6.0L
    Quote Originally Posted by jrkoupe View Post
    ................but I wear my helmet at all times. .....
    Even when driving to the track with just a 4 point???
    - 96 328is 6.0L. (LS1 to LS2 build thread: http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...ad.php?2098938)
    - 96 328is 5.7L. (LS1 build thread: http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1289987)
    - 95 ///M3 6.0L. (LS2 build thread: http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1619249)

- 97 ///M3. (e46 Fender Flares/track car build thread: http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1727098)
    - 96 328is (Dual Fuel Pump to Surge Tank thread: http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...ad.php?1964025)

My Cars
    POS-325e
    Izzy's Custom Cages in St. Louis. Contact Scott Rhea. Tell him Uncle Bud sent you. 3 cages (2 Bimmers, 1 RX-7) Only crash tested one and it did it's job perfectly.
    POS-325E 2018 BMWCCA MP National Champion
    E60 535i DD

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast