Thread: Replacing knock sensors, M50

My Cars
    '97 540i Dinan, 98 740iL

Question Replacing knock sensors, M50

I checked the codes on my '93 525i and it showed O2 sensor and knock sensor cyl 4-6. No check-engine light though. Reset them and will see if they come back the same. Oxygen sensor is simple enough to change and it's probably long overdue.

Anyhow, the #2 knock sensor looks like a royal PITA to change where it's tucked back there. Can it be done without pulling the intake manifold or starter? From above, or from below?

thanks.
    Charles
    '98 740iL E38 201k, TCG at 190k, 5HP24 at 195k
    '97 540i/6 E39 Dinan blower & stage 1 suspension 114k
    '93 525i E34 "Golf Ball" (hail damaged) 334k

My Cars
    are rusting away
    Quote Originally Posted by DrCharles View Post
    I checked the codes on my '93 525i and it showed O2 sensor and knock sensor cyl 4-6. No check-engine light though. Reset them and will see if they come back the same. Oxygen sensor is simple enough to change and it's probably long overdue.

Anyhow, the #2 knock sensor looks like a royal PITA to change where it's tucked back there. Can it be done without pulling the intake manifold or starter? From above, or from below?

thanks.
    Charles
    If you have very stretchy arms you could in theory remove it without taking the intake manifold off. But you'd be best off if you removed the intake manifold. Far easier.
    Live slow, die whenever