Thread: 1st time

My Cars
    2003 745i

1st time

Hello Everyone,

I've checked out this site several times since the purchase of my 2003 745i. Finally, I decided to join the forum to connect with other passionate BMW owners & professionals. Being a 1st time owner, I was skeptical about buying this vehicle due to all the negative reviews stating these cars are complicated when it comes to maintenance/service. Well, now the time has come for me to reach out for some sound advise regarding an issue with my car.
    My car was running fine until a light came on, service engine soon, emissions related fault. I took the car to my certified mechanic & he ran a series of test concluding to possible electrical issues. He told me the messages/errors in my computer system were incorrect because some of the issues were previously fixed & cleared. Therefore, he advised me to pay $200 to have the system reset completely, overriding and wiping out everything. After completion of this, he told me to let him know if the light back on. Fortunately, the car drove fine afterwards & no light came on. Unfortunately, as I was exiting the freeway to stop at a traffic light, my vehicle began to stall, tremble a little, made a slight rattle sound, then it cut off. When I tried to restart the car, it would not turn over nor would it switch into gear. After several attempts, the car still would not start or change gears at all. Immediately, I called my mechanic and let him know what was going on & he stated that the reset would not have caused this kind of reaction. Then, he commented that it could be the crankshaft/camshaft. Once I was towed into a parking lot out of traffic, approx. 30 min. had gone by & I tried to restart the car & was successful. I drove around the parking lot & the car was fine, no stalling, just a smooth ride. Now I'm confused and need advise & assistance w/ resolving the problem(s), the next best step to fixing the issue w/o wasting money. Can someone please provide me w/ knowledgeable info that will help me? Thank you in advance.......

My Cars
    E36 M3 , E39 540is
    ask him for the stored codes go from there.
    "Racing is life, anything that happens before or after is just waiting" -Steve McQueen

"Sex is safe & racing is dangerous" -Hans-Joachim Stuck