Thread: Upgrading OEM Stereo to a Newer One, HELP

My Cars
    BMW 733i, BMW 540i/6

Upgrading OEM Stereo to a Newer One, HELP

So I've been looking into adding some type of system in to my car so I can play from either a usb or memory card. Was considering the GROM unit, just never got around to purchasing it, but have found something else instead. I noticed I can convert my stereo to one from a 09/02 car and up, then install an AUX port. All OEM equipment which I really like. Either from an E39 or X5, right??? Is there any other models that work as well??? Also my 1997 has DSP, so I'm assuming I would need a newer DSP as well, right??? Also the newer unit must have the programming of either 40 or 50, nothing outside of that??? I have a cassette in my car current with the stock setup, so can I do without the CD player in the dash or is that required too??? And, with the AUX port, is it possible to convert that over to a USB port as well???
    1994 BMW 740I E32: SOLD
    1984 BMW 733i E23: Hartge engine, Hartge strut brace, Centra type 7 staggered 16" rims
    1997 BMW 540i/6 sport: polished/ported throttle body & traction control unit, E60 short shifter, ss braided flex lines, 2000 M5 tail lights, genuine Alpina bumper lip, genuine M5 auto fold mirrors, facelifted color matched trim

My Cars
    BMW 733i, BMW 540i/6
    Anyone???
    1984 BMW 733i E23: Hartge engine, Hartge strut brace, Centra type 7 staggered 16" rims
    1997 BMW 540i/6 sport: polished/ported throttle body & traction control unit, E60 short shifter, ss braided flex lines, 2000 M5 tail lights, genuine Alpina bumper lip, genuine M5 auto fold mirrors, facelifted color matched trim

My Cars
    1997 BMW 540i 6 speed
    There have been many changes to the audio systems over the model run, which can complicate the process of upgrading with newer components; for instance, there are two different in-dash CD player designs out there that are not plug-compatible.

You'll need to wait for someone who has done exactly what you propose, and can share the experience.

The DSP system has been universally panned as mediocre. Those seeking the features you want will typically go with a well-regarded aftermarket system.

Ed in San Jose '97 540i 6 speed aspensilber over aubergine leather. Build date 3/97. Golden Gate Chapter BMW CCA Nr 62319.

My Cars
    03 530dT - Ex Police Car
    Hi,

Whats your thinking on an estimated budget for having what you want done using old oem modules etc?

In short, you can upgrade to one of the higher OEM audio systems, however it'll be very expensive if all you want is an 'aux in'. For instance, if you want to get a dash CD player, you'll need the MID module that sits underneath it as it'll be a 'split' piece system. To get the MID setup working in your car if it doesn't have it already means buying extra looms, changing the instrument cluster to a high OBC version and potentially some coding. You'll also need to get the modules which are compatible with your DSP amplifier as well (look for the DSP button in any modules you are looking to buy). You'll then need to factor in fitting costs if you aren't so confident with 12V electronics and DIY. If you are happy with the big costs, the potential for any modules you buy being faulty on arrival or in the short/medium term become faulty (they'll be between 11 and 15 years old) then consider it. The 'easier' way would be to get the GROM unit!

Cheers, Dennis!

My Cars
    02 bmw 540
    I'd go with a Dynavin.

My Cars
    BMW 733i, BMW 540i/6
    Thanks guys for the replies!

I don't want to loss control of the OBC which is why I don't want to go with aftermarket. And the Dynavin system is definitely out of my price range.

I was watching this video and "apparently" it's a plug/play with a non DSP MID unit.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_GL...50uyVa6-H_o8nA

Mine is the business version with DSP, so it have the extra cassette a the top. I thought if I grabbed a cd player to replace the cassette would be fine but not mandatory. So even if I do change my existing MID to something newer so I can install an aux port, it won't always work then. I would still need the other modules right??? Yeah I'm trying to keep this budget friendly, don't want to get in over my head. I haven't seen many newer model E39s for parts, but there are many X5s which I assume has the same unit design.

- - - Updated - - -

This is my unit, with the cassette player under the cover.

My Cars
    2001 BMW 540i
    You can replace the OEM DSP headunit with an aftermarket and retain DSP, steering wheel controls, and the OBC. The MID cluster gets relocated to the glovebox(or possibly trunk) and the tape deck moves to the trunk. I did a write-up of it awhile ago based on another users guide.
    http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...6#post27546876

I've got a really nice Kenwood Excelon in mine and it functions great, and the higher signal quality and fine adjustment made the anemic DSP system sound very good. The two drawbacks are loss of glovebox to the MID, and you only use the steering wheel controls for volume. Turning up the headunit too loud while the DSP amp is turned up will distort the DSP system, but once you find the sweet spot between the headunit volume and DSP volume, you just use the steering wheel controls.

If you use this method, you can pick nearly any aftermarket headunit, and it will function just fine.

Bruce
    Last edited by lharrison; 10-02-2014 at 09:23 PM.
    2001 BWM 540i - 140,000mi
    +New alternator
    +New Front Control & Thrust Arms
    +New Front Endlinks and Sway bushings
    +New front rotors w/akebono pads
    +New Rear Swaybar endlinks

My Cars
    '02 540i 6MT
    You could wire in an aux adaptor to the cassette player input line; it's been done before.

My Cars
    BMW 733i, BMW 540i/6
    I'm not a total fan of the aftermarket systems unfortunately, just seems out of place.

I've heard of the aux adapter to the cassette but the quality of sound is apparently poor too.

My Cars
    '02 540i 6MT
    I think Cyric (forum member) can explain to you how he did his. There are a few methods to do this; I looked into this briefly with mine on the '03, then discovered the kit (obv no kit for yours), so stopped researching. A lot of links are dead so your best bet might be to PM him or see if he doesn't chime in on this thread.

My Cars
    With wheels
    Just go with a grom. Stalk buttons will work unlike an aux port. Music streaming is very good too. Gives you handsfree too.
    BMW OSS Master - BMW Coding, flashing, and NBT/CIC retrofits for breakfast.
    Founder of BMW Planet, serving wiring diagrams to BMW enthusiasts and independent garages all over the world since 2008