Thread: 335i with JB4 or base C6 Corvette. Possible to get unbiased opinions?

My Cars
    E36 M3

335i with JB4 or base C6 Corvette. Possible to get unbiased opinions?

I understand this is a BMW forum so opinions might tend to be biased, but can anyone give any input on the pros and con's of both? Does anyone know which one would be more reliable in the long run? From my (limited) knowledge, Corvette engines are commonly swapped into other track/drag cars so from that I'm assuming the Corvette's engine is more bulletproof. The C6 is a lot less practical while the 335i offers much more comfort for daily driving, but it doesn't have that initial wow factor unlike when you look at a C6

Normally I wouldn't even try to compare a BMW to a Corvette, but since a 335i with a JB4 is in the 400s in hp, it pretty much matches a base C6 in that department which can be had for around the same price point. Practicality is, to me, the most obvious difference and could possibly be the major point to consider, but I'd like to hear more opinions. I also posted this question on a Corvette forum and I'm hoping I can get unbiased opinions (even though chances are I won't lol)

One last point to consider: I'm in my early 20s so the practicality of a 2 seater isn't of much concern to me. I don't plan on having a family any time soon so the ability to carry multiple passengers comfortably is low on my list. I will still keep my E36 M3 so if there's ever a need to carry multiple passengers I can use that

My Cars
    1991 325i
    If you are keeping the e36, C6 all the way. A friend of mine, also in his early 20s, currently has a C5 as his only vehicle and hes been doing fine with it. Ive thought about getting something bigger than my e30 to have more space but its very rare I have more than one other person with me.
    1991 BMW 325i(Current Daily) (S52)
    I have carburetors, and I'm not afraid to use them!
    There are always other fish (engines) in the sea (Craigslist)
    Life is about enjoying the engine you are sitting behind.

My Cars
    E36 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by Rudolph320i View Post
    If you are keeping the e36, C6 all the way. A friend of mine, also in his early 20s, currently has a C5 as his only vehicle and hes been doing fine with it. Ive thought about getting something bigger than my e30 to have more space but its very rare I have more than one other person with me.
    My only problem, and I know at this point I'm just nitpicking, is the interior of the C6 is such a sad excuse of an interior for a car like that. Like I said, I know I'm nitpicking at this point, but I honestly think my M3's interior is leagues ahead and it's over 10 years older

Oh and for future reference for anyone else who contributes, my budget is around 27k. I could technically afford more, but I'd rather not spend more than that and have the rest of my money go elsewhere. For those of you saying a guy in his early 20s should be more concerned with being more financially responsible, I can handle it. I'm a nurse in New York and reside in Jersey so a $27,000 car is low compared to what my peers/coworkers are spending/have spent on their cars. Right now those two cars are highest on my list with that budget, but if anyone has any other suggestions for that pricepoint please share

I've read a few threads where some college guys my age asked for advice on modding their cars and the majority of the answers were "sell your BMW and buy another car until you can afford a Bimmer" and I understand and agree with that logic. Just didnt want my age to influence anyone's input which is why I shared my profession
    Last edited by Aestheticus; 09-28-2014 at 06:10 PM.

My Cars
    E36 M3
    I've owned both. Corvette is 100x more reliable than the N54 platform. The LSx engines are tried and true pushrod motors that keep on chugging. The N54/55 motors are such a pain in the ass to keep happy when throwing higher boost at them. You'll need to basically refresh the entire fuel system and ignition. Then its just a matter of time until your turbos and water pump expire.

The problem with the corvette is that the interior is made like shit and the whole corvette culture is kind of whack. The corvette owners and scene drove me away from the car. But for performance and reliability, its hard to beat.

My Cars
    z3
    I think they are both fast cars, the question is do you want to pay a bit more in maintenance in exchange for a nicer interior and nicer look and better culture?

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    16' 328xiT /04' TSX 6MT
    One lacks refinement and luxury but trades it off for perfomance and reliablility.

One has rifnement, luxury and cache', but I wouldn't touch with a 10 foot pole if it was out of factory warranty.

Both are made of plastic.

The problems with the N54/55 motors are IMO, blown way out of proportion as most things tend to on enthusiast forums, but unless you can accept the risk that it could cost you big bucks, then I would go for the vette. Not that the 335i will leave you stranded on a regular basis, its just that when things go wrong they are relatively expensive to remedy.
    Last edited by hon2bmw; 09-29-2014 at 02:30 PM.

My Cars
    2020 Mercedes S560
    Quote Originally Posted by Aestheticus View Post
    Possible to get unbiased opinions?
    Honestly, no.

Ever person has their own bias.

If you want facts, do your research and make your own decision.

My Cars
    E36 M3 , E39 540is
    C6
    "Racing is life, anything that happens before or after is just waiting" -Steve McQueen

"Sex is safe & racing is dangerous" -Hans-Joachim Stuck

My Cars
    2009 BMW 135i
    It depends on how much you are willing to work on the car. Having a tuned car as a daily driver is a pain. I'm still relatively new to the BMW side of things but I had a tuned 2.7t Audi as a daily before my current car and swore I would never daily a modded car again.

In stock form the N54 has given me 25,000 trouble free miles so far. I would still say the vette would be better for reliable power.

My Cars
    1996 BMW 750il
    C6. I owned a C4 for a couple of years with a 383 stroker pushing 425hp. It was an absolute blast to drive! No reliability issues at all. The only downfall was the practicality part (2 seater), and that cops seemed to be glued to my rear bumper all the time. There is the culture thing too. When you drive a vette, you become a member of a secret society where you are expected to give a wave to any other vette driver you meet on the road. They aren't the easiest to get in and out of, but being 20-something, you should be fine as long as your not a real big guy.

The pros way outweighed the cons.