Thread: Hello all, I'm very new here so be gentle!

My Cars
    2004 325xi

Hello all, I'm very new here so be gentle!

First Question, DSC/ADB do most of you use one or the other? Does the adb setting increase performance/driveability?

My Cars
    2020 Mercedes S560

My Cars
    '03 Z4, '85 Subaru Wagon, '87 Suzuki Savage LS650
    I'm not sure how the Android Debug Bridge relates to your car , however, DSC certainly helps maintain control in situations that might otherwise get you into some trouble.

Now, if you intentionally plan on getting into some trouble, say, at an autocross or on the track, then I'd turn it off. But, while driving in the world, you never know what's around that blind curve and it's a good idea to leave it on.

And to some extent, DSC does increase performance as it allows you to push your car knowing it will "save" you a little. Of course, absolute stupidity can't be saved, but if you push things a little... That said, there are some maneuvers DSC will shut down and unless you're on the track, autocross or escaping from a roadblock...I'd leave it on.
    Last edited by montaillou; 09-26-2014 at 05:02 PM.
    Not so much a signature as a cry for help.

Hold on, saw this in a cartoon once...think I can pull it off.

My Cars
    z3
    If you don't know what those systems are or what they do then just leave them on

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    1999 M3 , 1999 328is
    First off, welcome to the forum! This forum is very friendly, people don't bash the new folks. I suspect it is actually quite frowned upon.

I can't say I have any idea what ADB is. I typically leave the DSC on in my car unless I feel like roasting the rear tires or hopping violently away from intersections. There are two only situations where I have found turning the DSC off, has helped. First is when I have taken it to Autocrosses, the DSC system is way to aggressive and cuts power too soon to make it worth having on during the autocross. The second is during some driving in the snow. With it off I can usually get going quicker then with it on and it can be fun to slide quite sideways around turns. However the DSC system, on my e39 M5 at least is very impressive at vectoring the power around a slippery turn, I am amazed at the turns it will take on the snow since it will brake the inside wheels I think. My 01 740iL does not do that.
    Current fleet:
    1999 BMW e36 M3
    1999 BMW e36 328is with rotary valve engine head
    1999 Oldsmobile Eighty Eight
    1990 Jeep Comanche Eliminator
    1962 Austin Healey Sprite

My Cars
    '03 Z4, '06 Forester
    My e46 had DSC; my e36 coupe had ASC: unless I was out for a tire roasting start or taking a corner at the absolute limit of what the car can do, I left them on.

On the street, there are very few situations that warrant having those systems off ... they really don't get in the way of normal and even somewhat aggressive driving at all.