Thread: Hi I'm new here and to the BMW stuff. ADVISE!!

My Cars
    2001 BMW 325i

Hi I'm new here and to the BMW stuff. ADVISE!!

Hey everyone, I'm new to owning a BMW. I recently got a 2001 325i 5 speed. I love the car so far! I did have a 1990 300zx Twin Turbo. I am not trying to make this car fast or anything at this time. But I do have a few questions. First, when I first start the engine every once in awhile, white smoke comes out of the tailpipe. Is there any common problems with these cars that can cause this? Also when I first turn the car on and drive for a second, a orange oil light will come on for about 5-10 seconds then goes off? It will not come on until I turn the car off and turn it back on. Second question, Is there anything that I should watch out for with the car? Anything I should check out? Third, If I did decide to mod the car, are there any turbo kits or anything for this engine and car? I would have to get a new engine also because this one has 170k on it and I don't think it could handle boost. Last question, what are some good websites to get stock and performance parts for this car? Thanks so much for all of the info, I am new to BMW and am very excited to learn more about them!

My Cars
    2004 M3
    Answer #1 - Depending on how cold it gets where you live it is indeed normal for white smoke to come out of your exhaust when your engine is cold. It goes away as the engine warms up. Non stop excessive white smoke could mean that your engine is burning coolant. The most common cause to this is a bad head gasket.

Answer #2 - I believe that the orange oil light is normal. My car does it too and it is the same to pretty much everyone that I know that owns an E46. You're good as long as it goes away.

Answer #3 - Yes there are plenty of things to look out for. Here are the most common issues with the E46s: Cooling system failure (yes the whole system), valve cover gasket, oil filter housing gasket, rear subframe, secondary air pump (causes vacuum leak), control arms, RTABs, VANOS, etc..

Answer #4 - I don't know of any reputable turbo systems for the M54 engine but I know there are a few superchargers for it such as the VF, Active Autowerks, Turner Motorsports and Dinan superchargers.

Answer #5 - I usually buy parts at Bavauto.com but theres also good websites such as turnermotorsport.com

My Cars
    2001 BMW 325i
    Man, thanks soooo much for the reply! The white smoke is for sure something burning, I just am unsure of what it was. The exhaust fumes smell sweet almost. No smoke but it smells really weird. The car runs and drives great as of right now aside from the smoke and oil consumption. I will be changing the head gasket here soon I guess. I'm going to search for a write up in how to change the head gasket now! I used to be a mechanic before I switched careers. I just don't know anything about the BMW. I don't know what the engine is called and I didn't know it was a E46 until a few minutes ago lol. Again thanks for the reply helps out a lot.

- - - Updated - - -

Do you know of any diy head gasket threads?

My Cars
    '03 Z4, '85 Subaru Wagon, '87 Suzuki Savage LS650
    Quote Originally Posted by jbickers View Post
    The white smoke is for sure something burning, I just am unsure of what it was.
    Your car is trying to elect a new pope.

Also try tomkinsonbmwparts.com for oem parts, I've found their prices often lower than anyone else.

Check out realoem.com for parts diagrams.
    Not so much a signature as a cry for help.

Hold on, saw this in a cartoon once...think I can pull it off.

My Cars
    1999 M3 , 1999 328is
    Quote Originally Posted by montaillou View Post
    Also try tomkinsonbmwparts.com for oem parts, I've found their prices often lower than anyone else.
    I second this. For what is really a BMW dealer selling parts online, their prices are great and their selection is anything that is still in stock from BMW.

I am sure that a search will yield many results for tuning that car. The 325i is not a very fast car to begin with, lets face it, it has a small engine. However the 3 series typically has a large tuning aftermarket.
    Current fleet:
    1999 BMW e36 M3
    1999 BMW e36 328is with rotary valve engine head
    1999 Oldsmobile Eighty Eight
    1990 Jeep Comanche Eliminator
    1962 Austin Healey Sprite

My Cars
    2004 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by jbickers View Post
    Man, thanks soooo much for the reply! The white smoke is for sure something burning, I just am unsure of what it was. The exhaust fumes smell sweet almost.
    Yep, sounds like coolant to me. You can search for head gasket diys by typing it in the search box. I'm sure you'll find lots of helpful info.