Thread: wheels spin/or lock up when i downshift?

My Cars
    BMW E46 M3

wheels spin/or lock up when i downshift?

Ive had my M3 about 2 weeks now and its my first manual car. I drive manual well now and am trying advanced shifting now, but i tried downshifting from 3rd to 2nd entirely for the heck of it and my wheels chirped pretty hard... am i just down shifting wrong or is it a power thing? and did i hurt my car.. ?

My Cars
    2013 135i, 1994 Jeep XJ
    Google rev matching.

My Cars
    1991 325i
    Quote Originally Posted by mhunter29928 View Post
    Google rev matching.
    +1. The ratio difference between 3rd and 2nd brings the rpm up quickly if you dont rev match which can cause the wheels to chirp because the engine cant rev up that fast unless you rev match.
    1991 BMW 325i(Current Daily) (S52)
    I have carburetors, and I'm not afraid to use them!
    There are always other fish (engines) in the sea (Craigslist)
    Life is about enjoying the engine you are sitting behind.

My Cars
    E36/4/5
    The very fact of you asking this question tells me you don't drive a manual that well and don't understand what is actually going on as you shift....keep practicing

As has been mentioned, rev matching

Fingerblasting my iPad

My Cars
    BMW E46 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by r33p04s View Post
    The very fact of you asking this question tells me you don't drive a manual that well and don't understand what is actually going on as you shift....keep practicing

As has been mentioned, rev matching

Fingerblasting my iPad
    Damn man I said its my first manual and its been 2weeks... i meant i can drive well by make it to work everyday without like, stalling and stuff.. Thnx for the advice tho. Hope I didnt hurt my car.

My Cars
    2003 530iA (SOLD)

wheels spin/or lock up when i downshift?

Poor M3. You really should have started on a cheap manual car first, like a Civic or something, to learn the basics.

Your driveline will be loose as heck pretty quick downshifting and letting out the clutch like you're doing. It takes me 30 seconds to see if a car had been driven like this, and I don't even have to drive 50 feet to tell.

While parked, I just leave the clutch out, parking brake off, and push the gear shifter gently but authoritatively towards 1st or 2nd, and when I hear big clunks from the driveshaft and rear axle, I move on.
    2003 DINAN 5 | M54B30 | Titanium Gray Metallic | Stage 3 Engine Software | High Flow Throttle Body | Cold Air Intake | Free Flow Exhaust | Performance Automatic Transmission Software | Front Strut Brace | OE 18x9 BBS RS745 Style 42 on 265/35-18 MY BUILD THREAD: [Click]

My Cars
    BMW E46 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by Aryana View Post
    Poor M3. You really should have started on a cheap manual car first, like a Civic or something, to learn the basics.

Your driveline will be loose as heck pretty quick downshifting and letting out the clutch like you're doing. It takes me 30 seconds to see if a car had been driven like this, and I don't even have to drive 50 feet to tell.

While parked, I just leave the clutch out, parking brake off, and push the gear shifter gently but authoritatively towards 1st or 2nd, and when I hear big clunks from the driveshaft and rear axle, I move on.
    Well it is the first time i downshifted like that, i usually put the car in neutral and brake like an automatic since im not comfortable downshifting yet. Im practicing rev matching tho..

My Cars
    2003 530iA (SOLD)
    That's a good idea
    2003 DINAN 5 | M54B30 | Titanium Gray Metallic | Stage 3 Engine Software | High Flow Throttle Body | Cold Air Intake | Free Flow Exhaust | Performance Automatic Transmission Software | Front Strut Brace | OE 18x9 BBS RS745 Style 42 on 265/35-18 MY BUILD THREAD: [Click]

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3 Silver
    next time when u try a down shift, make sure you let go of the clutch slowly, dont just drop it in. you will see the rpms go up as you car will begin to slow down. also you want to be at mid range rpms in 3rd gear if your going to down shift to second. Down shifts are more for turns, I like to down shift when im comming off a high way ramp for example. never down shift to first gear.

My Cars
    E36/4/5
    Quote Originally Posted by e46shreds View Post
    Damn man I said its my first manual and its been 2weeks... i meant i can drive well by make it to work everyday without like, stalling and stuff.. Thnx for the advice tho. Hope I didnt hurt my car.
    Don't take it too hard. I have been driving mine everyday for the last 3yrs and still stall out every now and again. The car will be fine as long as you get the rev matching down and stop dropping the clutch like that.

Fingerblasting my iPad