Thread: 7,750 kilometers of M Coupe; a Clownshoe at the end of the Earth

My Cars
    2001 M Coupe

7,750 kilometers of M Coupe; a Clownshoe at the end of the Earth

I'm just gonna post a bunch of pictures with captions here... I'm still working on writing the trip up, and I'm doing it on a wordpress blog kinda thing. We'll see how that goes.

But yes! We went and conquered. And it was hella fun. I highly recommend everyone at least do the journey to Dawson. It's just a beautiful drive. Yukon blew me away. It was stunning.

For those of you who have me on Facebook, most of these are repeats. Sorry. Mark had the SLR camera and the GoPro, so he's got way more pictures than I. All of these were taken with my iPhone 5s. Also, I suck at linking with Imgur, so if these are huge... sorry.

Captions will be underneath the pictures, just so you're not confused.

Looking all clean and optimistic on a snowy September morning. FYI, we packed this car in about an hour; instead of doing any pre-trip planning at all, we went to Vegas for six days and got drunk all the time. There was no car prep; no oil change, no new filters, nothing. I put my year old winter tires on and we left. No spare parts, either. BMW confidence here.

Snow through Alberta. Re-enforcing my hate for this place haha.

One of many, many gas stops. We never made it more than 240 miles on a tank. Ah well.

Mile Zero of the Alaska Highway, in Dawson Creek, BC.

The Alaska Highway through upper BC.

It got nice out though. The rain finally stopped and we had amazing weather for the entire trip afterwords!

It only went up from here. The most we paid was $1.89 in Inuvik. For 89 octane.

- - - Updated - - -

It sure was pretty though.

That's Muncho Lake. It was pretty damn amazing. Soon after, we took a goat in the side of the car, knocking the mirror off and damaging the door and left rear fender. Nothing Mark could've done about it, but I'm glad I can hang it above his head for the rest of his life! :

Yay!! We made it!

Cinnamon buns as big as your head, and enough to feed Africa for a year.

Yeah... The Yukon rules.

- - - Updated - - -

Dawson City from their golf course. My favourite place for the trip. We got loser drunk, met new friends, and woke up hungover as shit after partying till 5 am to drive the Dempster. Good planning.

More of Dawson. A city with dirt roads and wood sidewalks works well in B&W.

Viva Dawson!

Wasps suck. This one tried my beer, and I drowned his ass. Fuck those things.

- - - Updated - - -

And away we go!

The Dempster. Not too bad, actually.

Tombstone Park. Amazingly beautiful.

Just desolate...

Halfway!! We needed the stop. The hangovers were brutal, and we were starving. Eggs helped, and we felt almost human again afterwords.

- - - Updated - - -

Across the Arctic Circle!

This would be in the NWT now.

And Victory! Made it, no problems at all. The highway was actually so good, it turned out to be a non-event. We were averaging over 100 km/h an hour, and after the McKenzie ferry, I put the hammer down and was doing 130 no problem. The worst part of the Dempster is actually the paved part between the airport and Inuvik.

Inuvik. Where $14 jugs of milk are a thing.

Our silent partner for the trip.

Inuvik to Tuytoyaktuk via Cessna 207. We saw Pingos and Tuk was pretty crazy. Such a different way to live!

- - - Updated - - -

Leaving Inuvik the next morning. Somehow, the highway was in even better shape on the way down.

Although it was raining... and the car got a little dirty.

I bought two of these in Inuvik. At the end of the return trip, I slapped one on the car. Pretty good badge of honour, I must say.

After another night in Dawson, another in Whitehorse, we ended up in Stewart BC. It's a beautiful drive in, but man... it's an old town. No cell service, no wifi, nothing.

Dipped into Alaska, because why not?

Down the interior of BC, through Houston, Revelstoke, Calgary and home.

It's tough to describe this trip.... It was pretty f-in' unreal. The Yukon is amazing; it's simply a stunning, beautiful area of the world. Nothing that we drove on damaged the car at all. Not even rock chips, really. People were worried about my car getting wrecked, but it just didn't happen. We could have hit an animal anywhere, so I'm not counting that. Our destination had nothing to do with the damage to my car. In fact, the Dempster was in such good shape that you could easily take a Ferrari all the way to Tombstone Park. The only thing low cars might have trouble with is the ferry crossings. We didn't, but my Coupe sits pretty high.

If you're looking for a road trip, just going to Dawson is worth it. It's a super fun little town.

Having done this trip, and having done the PCH last year... I would go up here again first. The destination is simply better.

My Cars
    z3
    Theres something seriously cool about that picture of the back of your Coupe completely covered in dirt

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    99-01 M Cpe & Rdts, X5M
    Wow, gorgeous scenery! Doesn't look like you had to wait too long behind other tourists for your photo ops either...

I hope they keep your Artic Circle pic on the FB Coupe page forever; can't touch that!

Thanks for sharing, and I don't know about anyone else, but I had no doubts about your car making the trip, why wouldn't it?

My Cars
    E36-E367-E39-E53
    Awesome pics. Looks like you had blast.
    ​~Mike

My Cars
    1998 M roadster S50B32
    Nice! Have to do the same but up throughout northern Sweden and Norway!

My Cars
    99-01 M Cpe & Rdts, X5M
    Quote Originally Posted by Kornknarr View Post
    Nice! Have to do the same but up throughout northern Sweden and Norway!
    I think you'd stand a better chance of seeing another ///M Rdstr than he did a Coupe too!

My Cars
    N/A
    They do say silver is easier to keep clean.

My Cars
    ///M Roadster
    Love it, thanks for sharing. Also please post some pics of her all cleaned up! :-X
    Cyrus Mistry

My Cars
    '02 M Coupe x2
    Anyone ever let you know how awesome you are?

You're awesome, dude.
    '02 M Coupe, Estoril Blue on Estoril
    '02 M Coupe, -???-Who knows-???-
    ‘02 M Coupe, Alpine White on Black
    '06 M Coupe, Interlagos Blue/Black Carbon Leather
    ’99 M3 Coupe, Technoviolet/Black
    ’04 VW R32, Reflex Silver/Black Cloth

My Cars
    GTI/M Coupe/Targa4/912
    Amazing trip and such gonads to do it in the Coupe. Love the photos, and I'm sure that was the first time a lot of people ever saw the M Coupe! Looking forward to more pics and vids.

My Cars
    00 Imola E/S TS M Coupe
    This is totally awesome as Jeffy said! I also love the back of the coupe covered in dirt. Great pics and looks like a totally fun trip.

My Cars
    Twinscrew M coupe
    I added this to my list of road trips to do. I would be taking my jeep though rather than my coupe. Looks like you had a hell of an awesome trip.

My Cars
    The Clown Shoe
    Super cool. Just ran across a guy on Reddit who got divorced and lost his job and said F it and did the top of the world trip on a motorcycle.

thread
    http://www.reddit.com/r/pics/comment..._my_buddy_got/

pic gallery
    http://imgur.com/a/J7kZJ?gallery

I guess if you want to do this trip, you need to pick a mode of transportation that can't be slept in, is not comfortable and only goes a few miles on a tank of gas.

My Cars
    A Few With Roundels
    When are you going to put up the writeup on your Wordpress blog?

My Cars
    36 Cylinders
    So I was going to say, "Oh heey, you lost a fin or two... but then I saw the massive dents."

Story? (or my reading comprehension failed?)

- - - Updated - - -

Ah yes, the goats.
    -Abel

- E36 328is ~210-220whp: Lots of Mods.
    - 2000 Z3: Many Mods.
    - 2003 VW Jetta TDI Manual 47-50mpg
    - 1999 S52 Estoril M Coupe
    - 2014 328d Wagon, self-tuned, 270hp/430ft-lbs
    - 2019 M2 Competition, self-tuned, 504whp
    - 2016 Mini Cooper S

My Cars
    1981 M535i; 1988 M5
    How long did the round trip take you? Kilometres per day?

Thanks.

My Cars
    1991 330iS
    Fantastic pictures! I love the captions to the pics. That scenery. Just wow. It's pretty surreal seeing a car that for most intents and purposes wouldn't be in such a landscape. As a BC'er, I'm supremely jealous you made the trip, and inspired to now do it myself.

Thanks for sharing.

Avusblau 1994 Euro M3 --> Journal Here
    Lagunagrün 1991 331iS-->Journal Here

My Cars
    997TT
    that is AMAZING. Did a road trip this year AZ to NJ in my 911TT. Pretty epic but yours takes the cake.
    My Rides: 2007 911 Turbo - 2000 Cherokee
    Sold: 2011 M3, E46 M3, 1998 M Roadster

-Jared

My Cars
    95 240SX|98 Z3M|05 Elise
    Thanks for sharing the pics. I actually didn't even notice the goat damage b/c I was taking in all the beautiful scenery. I must agree the dirt covered look somehow just screams "epic".

Do you have any threads about the other cars I see in that garage, looks like an S15 and maybe an S13 with silvia face?

My Cars
    AT-AT
    Effing awesome dude! muchos gracias for sharing. The trip looks like a blast. #epic # respect #e368forever
    The search box is awesome..try it!

My Cars
    2001 M Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by Scarceas View Post
    Thanks for sharing the pics. I actually didn't even notice the goat damage b/c I was taking in all the beautiful scenery. I must agree the dirt covered look somehow just screams "epic".

Do you have any threads about the other cars I see in that garage, looks like an S15 and maybe an S13 with silvia face?
    That would be my roommate's S15 Silvia and his Toyota Chaser.

My Cars
    ML320-GTI-996TT-Bikes
    Dude, what a sweet trip!!!! Very cool!

SOLD MAY '14
    Mods
    : 6psi Supercharger kit; Rogue RSM's; DINAN strut brace; Magnaflow exhaust; Stewart waterpump; Stoneguards, Glove box fix, M Shift knob; Aux input adapter;
    Mesh bumper grill; Projector Z II headlights (35W Xenon), IE alu radiator, ARD wheel studs, H&R coilovers, Work VS-XX wheels/Hankook V12 tires, VANOS fix